Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?

+6
Kp321
jglenn21
TonyH
Tripscape
mspingeld
croesler
10 posters

Go down

Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?  Empty Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?

Post by croesler 9/26/2021, 7:46 am

Is there another magazine type, or a permanent alternative for the Nelson conversion magazines, to eliminate the need for the special tool to depress the plunger when reloading the mags?  Looking for a magazine that works in Nelsons with some kind of nub, or possibly a retrofit to the Nelson mags that creates a nub I can get my thumb on?  Nothing wrong with the current tool, but I forget it sometimes. Would be nice to just have a little nubby on the slide/plunger to pull down like most other .22 magazines.  Ideas that work welcome.
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?  Empty Re: Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?

Post by mspingeld 9/26/2021, 8:28 am

I load mine without the tool. Pinch the round between the feed lips to prevent lateral movement, push down and back with other thumb. Try it. I can make a little video if you have trouble.

mspingeld
Admin

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?  Empty Re: Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?

Post by Tripscape 9/26/2021, 8:53 am

GSG mags, work great!

Tripscape

1joel1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 9/26/2021, 9:05 am

Keep the conversion, mags, mag tool and the guide rod wrench all together all the time? That way, when you forget, you leave them all behind....remember(maybe you can't), you are getting older....
Ask me how I know....lol!
TonyH
TonyH

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/26/2021, 9:31 am

I ran colt.22.mags when i had a Nelson. All i use in my marvels
jglenn21
jglenn21

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 9/26/2021, 5:29 pm

The GSG mags work fine but I still use the Nelsons most of the time. I always carry a pocket knife that has an awl (reamer) blade which works great to pull the follower down.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/26/2021, 6:18 pm

Use an allen wrench or small wire/rod stuck through the hole.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/26/2021, 6:48 pm

A wood dowell with a nail in it works fine

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Greg Walloch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/26/2021, 7:59 pm

Always keep the tool in a magazine!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by croesler 9/27/2021, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the good ideas!  Except the comment about being old and forgetful.  I tried screwing a small allen-head bolt into the plunger hole so I could get my thumb on it.  It would have worked perfectly but the spring is much too tight to comfortably do it that way.  No wonder Larry recommends using his tool.  I'll buy a couple extras.  Thanks to everyone who responded!
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/27/2021, 6:01 pm

Nelson conversion magazine - alternative to depressor tool?  03a9f810

Add a magnet to the aluminum ones.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 9/27/2021, 6:58 pm

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff! What happened to the great Roesler sense of humor? I’m just a few years ahead of you paving the road and giving you an account of the great things waiting in your future!
How about pinning a reminder note to your shirt about taking the tool. If it was made out of ferrous material, you could stick the magnetic tool Jim suggested above right to it!jocolor
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 9/27/2021, 7:26 pm

My thumb seems to be the easiest to use.

Best
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/27/2021, 7:46 pm

Arthur wrote:My thumb seems to be the easiest to use.

Best
Arthur
explain your technique on a Nelson magazine please.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 9/27/2021, 7:51 pm

james r chapman wrote:
Arthur wrote:My thumb seems to be the easiest to use.

Best
Arthur
explain your technique on a Nelson magazine please.
Use the rim to depress the cartridge already in the mag. place it close to the lips. 
Yes, my comment was intended to be a little sarcastic. But, I actually have no use for the loading tool. Seems like just more messing around. 

Best, 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/28/2021, 5:08 am

Ok, helluva thumb! 😬
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down