Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel

+2
mikemyers
handcycle
6 posters

Go down

WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel Empty WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel

Post by handcycle Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:24 pm

I am looking for a 7.5" barrel for my S&W Model 41.
Anyone have a spare one to sell please contact me Smile)
It doesn't need to be a drilled & tapped for scope.
I enjoy shooting mine with the 5.5" heavy-barrel, however would like to get an extra longer barrel.
Question: Any significant improve in accuracy with the longer barrel? 

Thanks!

Handcycle Smile Smile Smile Cool Cool Cool
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel Empty Re: WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel

Post by mikemyers Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:03 am

If you haven't found one by then, send me a message in about three weeks.  I have one that I haven't used since buying a Clark barrel with scope mount.  I have no idea what a fair price would be.  It's in good condition, original, and no holes drilled and tapped.  I don't expect to be using it again.  For the next three weeks though, I'll be very busy.  Best way to reach me is email, which I think you can do from within this forum.  With my range still closed, I find it more comfortable to no longer come here every day.
mikemyers
mikemyers

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

WTB S&W Model 41 7.5" Barrel Empty Accuracy

Post by NYKenn Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:06 am

My long barrel is not for sale, but I can comment some on the accuracy.
I went to the longer barrel or the perceived accuracy of a longer sight radius. I too was curious about your same question and tested both the 5 1/2 and 7 3/8? in a Ransom Rest w/match ammo, more of out curiosity than necessity.  Overall the group sizes for both barrels were all less than 3/4 inch at 50 yards, most averaging about 5/8. The longer barrel was at most maybe a 1/16 inch smaller group size on average. Certainly not a significant amount, and certainly not an amount that would make a difference for the average competitive shooter. 

FYI
I did change the sights to a Bo-mar, similar to what is found on the 5 1/2. At that time Champion's Choice sold the sight package.  Not sure where you would get one now.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawman623 Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:08 pm

I saw 6 bbl’s for sale at a local gun store. If you’re still seeking one I can check the price for you.

As far as performance, in my opinion, the long barrel lacks weight. I’d use the S&W system or stick with the bull bbl. my 41 has been modified to utilize a weight system instead of the muzzle comp.

Drawman623

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:55 pm

I have a older 7” with rail added sometime in the past.
Pm if interested

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by handcycle Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Drawman623 wrote:I saw 6 bbl’s for sale at a local gun store. If you’re still seeking one I can check the price for you.

As far as performance, in my opinion, the long barrel lacks weight. I’d use the S&W system or stick with the bull bbl. my 41 has been modified to utilize a weight system instead of the muzzle comp.
I suspect the longer barrel would not help much in term of accuracy as well even with a longer sight radius. From reading various posts from some of you guys, I also agreed that the shorter but heavier bull barrel should be the way to go. However, I think more importantly, it's still the person pulling the trigger that counts the most.
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm

Saw a really nice one at the Cabela's Gun Library in Hamburg, PA for a mere $1800.

Actually $1849    Smith & Wesson ~ Model 41 ~ .22 Long Rifle | Cabela's (cabelas.com)

Last edited by rbwillnj on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link to gun at Cabela's)
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

http://StarMachineWorks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down