Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts?

+2
Texasref
mpolans
6 posters

Go down

Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts? Empty Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts?

Post by mpolans 10/10/2021, 9:36 pm

Anyone use them? Do they make a difference?  Any thoughts?

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/dillon-precision-rl550-free-float-zero-play-toolhead-made-from-aluminum-cnc

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts? Empty Re: Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts?

Post by Texasref 10/11/2021, 6:16 am

This is my first time seeing it. I imagine it might make some difference, due to the fact the tool heads from Dillon have quite a bit of clearance in order to slide in.
I've used a piece of tape to take up some slack in mine. For 34.00 this looks like a very good solution. And from apearrances it looks very well made.
The shell plate will still float some so absolute alignment may not be possible. Also when the cases come up into the tool head, it positions it against the top edge of the frame every time.
Just my thoughts.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts? Empty Re: Armanov Free-Float, Zero-Play Toolheads...thoughts?

Post by TonyH 10/11/2021, 6:34 am

Uniquetek has a similar product that modifies your existing toolhead (cheaper):
https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1230
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 10/11/2021, 7:10 am

I have applied the UniqueTek toolhead clamp kit to 3 of my 750 tool heads. I had bought the Dillon CNC anodized tool heads and they have even more play that the pot metal tool head that came with the press.

For what it's worth, I ran out of helicoil inserts on my 6th hole (3rd head) with the standard kit. The coil insert tool is not ideal. So if you're doing more than one head, may be a good idea to get the Large kit to be safe.

There's more to the Armanov tool head than just the threaded alignment screws. It has provisions to use his free float die rings. If you're interested in that, maybe his tool head is a better deal than the UT clamp kit.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 10/11/2021, 7:56 am

UniqueTek also sells a floating die tool head for the Dillon. The link is here.

https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1389

When you go to the above web page, they have this listed at the bottom of the page.

Q: I'm loading only pistol ammunition. Will the floating dies help me?
A: No. Since typical pistol bullets are not pointed and are fired at relatively short range, runout is not a significant factor in accuracy. The full benefit of floating dies will be realized only when loading spire point bullets, where runout can significantly effect accuracy ... especially at long rages. For loading pistol cartridges, and rifle cartridges for short range and "plinking" we recommend using our CNC Machined Toolheads without the floating die feature.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 10/11/2021, 8:05 am

joy2shoot wrote:UniqueTek also sells a floating die tool head for the Dillon. The link is here.

https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1389

When you go to the above web page, they have this listed at the bottom of the page.

Q: I'm loading only pistol ammunition. Will the floating dies help me?
A: No. Since typical pistol bullets are not pointed and are fired at relatively short range, runout is not a significant factor in accuracy. The full benefit of floating dies will be realized only when loading spire point bullets, where runout can significantly effect accuracy ... especially at long rages. For loading pistol cartridges, and rifle cartridges for short range and "plinking" we recommend using our CNC Machined Toolheads without the floating die feature.

Good point. For us Bullseye shooters who are still bothered by the slack in the Dillon toolheads this might make more sense:
https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1333

In hindsight those would probably have been a better buy for me than the Dillon CNC heads + clamp kit. But with the Dillons I have shiny different color toolheads for each cartridge Razz
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/11/2021, 5:48 pm

Whilst I accept that floating dies may be overkill for pistol ammo, I like to use the helicoil kits and clamp down my tool heads. An important issue with Dillon 650/750 is the relationship between the dies/head and the main platform. Dillon will sell/give an alignment pin to check that. I had a 650 platform that was way off, Dillon supplied a good replacement FOC, but it was a very frustrating learning experience.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 10/11/2021, 7:51 pm

Hmm...so maybe I'll hold off on the floating die rings.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 10/11/2021, 8:21 pm

mpolans wrote:Hmm...so maybe I'll hold off on the floating die rings.

For whatever it is worth, I concur with your decision.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down