Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

+10
bruce martindale
ash
Wobbley
zanemoseley
aub1957
chopper
10sandxs
bmize1
troystaten
Jon Eulette
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Empty Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:28 pm

I have a 1965 Colt 45 acp Kit Gun built by Shockey. Really like the pistol but hate shooting it. Barrel unlocked immediately and slide comes back too fast and the recoil was harsh with 3.4 BE 200 lswc. Bottom lugs should be bearing against slide stop minimum of 0.050” before the barrel can unlock from the slide lugs (in other words slide can travel 0.050” to the rear before barrel can drop.
So I pulled the barrel and had it laser micro welded. I welded/refit the hood and bottom barrel lugs.
Pics will show old lug (blued finish) and new weld material (shiny finish) when viewing the lug from the sides. I’m almost finished with it and hope to be shooting it soon.
Jon 
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit 1b7df910
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit 624da110
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit 09efe410
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

spursnguns, bmize1 and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Empty Re: Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by troystaten Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:06 am

Thanks for showing us, it is nice to see how Smiths of the past worked and what they worked with.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Empty Re: Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by bmize1 Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:07 am

Is this a mousetrap gun?

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:52 am

bmize1 wrote:Is this a mousetrap gun?
Yes sir.
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

bmize1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:06 am

Thanks Jon... you have a source for laser welding...would you be willing to share???

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:38 am

Jon, is the reason for laser welding because of heating the barrel or just more precise deposits? I would think a good tig welder could do a very good job also. They must use very small wire to weld with to deposit such small beads.
 Could you show a picture of his recoil spring plug?
 I think that would be less work to accurize than a Clark tuner.
 Nice work as always Jon.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 am

This is an interesting thread. I have a Shockey mouse trap that I unknowingly purchased over the phone. I never got it to shoot, but it is a lovely pistol with a lot of character. I will have to dig out my barrel and see how it compares with yours, Jon.

Theoretically, are these older barrels still good and plenty accurate? Is the fitting the main issue? I've read that it takes quite a few rounds to wear out a 1911 barrel, but interested on a gunsmith's take on this.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am

So what exactly is a mouse trap gun?

zanemoseley

swissyhawk and Foundryratjim like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:47 pm

The mousetrap was a helical spring and roller recoil spring plug.that rode along the barrel.  It worked, kinda, sorta, ish!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Smokinbear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Empty Shockey Mouse trap

Post by ash Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Img_0110

Here is a pic which was in a Shockey Deluxe.

ash

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Empty Shockey Mouse trap Pic#2

Post by ash Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Img_0111
 the roller bears against a flat machined under the barrel to slow the slide.

ash

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Here's some photos of my Shockey setup:

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Img_4613
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Img_4614
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit Img_4612

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Full semi circle contact in the slide lug now?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 pm

With pistol upright the top of the slide stop contact at 12 o’clock is what’s most important; that’s your lockup timing. Any contact to the rear is just what keeps slide, frame and barrel aligned.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Lightfoot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 pm

Jon, I understand how the top of the slide stop and the lower lug contour affects timing. At least I believe I do. But I'm confused about your contact to the rear comment. Are you talking about the rear, or bottom of the lower lugs where they contact the back side of the slide stop? I'm trying to think this through (after a couple glasses of wine), the height of the lower lugs above the slide stop adjusts the amount of engagement of the barrel upper lugs and the slide lugs. The contour, angle, and length of contact between the slide stop and lower lugs affects the barrel engagement timing. Finally, the lower lugs contacting the back side of the slide stop points the barrel, like the rudder on a boat. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:51 pm

Several fitting areas on the barrel affect barrel consistency on lock up. Loose hood fit both rear and sides allows the barrel to rotate somewhat axially and horizontally sided to side rotating at the bushing. The rear of the bottom lug contact against the slide stop pin has some resistance against this movement; spring force from recoil spring pushes bottom lug rear against the pin. 
Minimal hood tolerances alleviate most if not all of this movement. The fit of the barrel between the hood and first upper barrel lug also resist this movement.
So it’s a marriage between all the lock up surfaces that determines whether the pistol is your friend or not. I’m a firm believer that a looser barrel fit can shoot excellent from a machine rest but not from hand. It will be unforgiving from hand requiring much more consistent gripping and follow through. A properly hard fit barrel typically shoots slightly vertical groups from machine rest but spot on from hand. It is also more forgiving and will have less felt recoil. Hard fit barrel also uses lighter recoil spring to function.
Timing is bottom lug bearing surface and link length related. It can unlock too soon, too late or just right. Most gunsmiths don’t properly fit barrel link. Typically sloppy and will cause other issues.
Hope this answers your questions.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

E H Campbell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am

Thanks so much, Jon. I have two more questions, if you don't mind. Obviously, the pin hole in the link must be made oval to allow the barrel to move rearward with the slide. Does this increase stress when the pin and link "slap" against each other to pull the barrel down out of engagement? Also, do you file a flat surface on the top of the slide stop pin? I apologize for all of the questions, but the more I learn about the inner workings of the 1911 the more fascinating it becomes.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm

Link hole does not need to be oval. Typically butchered when oval instead of using correct link length.
Marine Corps used to flatten slide stop so that they could add a new slide stop pin when the pistol loosened up. They used different thicknesses of slide stop measured at the flat. I have done it but typically do not use that method. It’s great when you have professional shooters shooting tons of ammunition. Allows longer barrel life and not having to weld and refit.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 pm

On my ball gun, I radiused the top of the pin when I rebarreled it long ago, so that I could tighten with a new pin as described.  But, after all these years, it has never needed that new tightening.  I kind of don't expect to ever have to now that I'm not even shooting it as much.

Jon, Did you add some material to the front of the feet of the lug?  Was that to center the barrel pin hole so you could get away from enlarging the slide stop pin hole an overabundant amount?  Wouldn't that also change the position of the slide a bit rearward on the frame?  Or, am I way off base and missing everything by a mile?

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:19 pm

Ed,
I added material mostly for esthetics and a little bit because I needed more flat bearing surface for longer lockup. In reality the barrel rides the link up to the point of just before the radius where the slide stop will start engaging the lockup flat bearing surface. I think back in the day longer links were hard to come by and they were typically too short which lead to egg shaping the larger link hole. Barrel link has two jobs; unlocking/pulling barrel down out of battery and barrel rides it until just before the start of lockup (engaging bottom lug flat). 
Slide position on frame is controlled by the rear of the slide stop pin where the bottom lug engages at 3 or 6 o'clock depending on your clock.
Hope this is understandable.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:43 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Ed,
I added material mostly for esthetics and a little bit because I needed more flat bearing surface for longer lockup. In reality the barrel rides the link up to the point of just before the radius where the slide stop will start engaging the lockup flat bearing surface. I think back in the day longer links were hard to come by and they were typically too short which lead to egg shaping the larger link hole. Barrel link has two jobs; unlocking/pulling barrel down out of battery and barrel rides it until just before the start of lockup (engaging bottom lug flat). 
Slide position on frame is controlled by the rear of the slide stop pin where the bottom lug engages at 3 or 6 o'clock depending on your clock.
Hope this is understandable.
Jon
Thanks Jon,

All of that was what I understood, except that I didn't consider that the slide stop pin could be reduced where it contacted the lug feet (3/6 o'clock) to move the slide forward when in battery.  It had looked like you added material to that point on the lugs as well.  I "think" I understand all the timing details, but I do pick up more gunsmith "secrets" from time to time, and refine those I think I already know.

Ed Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Ed,
The bottom barrel lug is cut for slide/frame alignment, not the slide stop pin. 😇
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Ed,
The bottom barrel lug is cut for slide/frame alignment, not the slide stop pin. 😇
Jon
That was my original understanding.
Jon Eulette wrote:. . .
. . .
Jon
This is what gave me the idea that reducing the radius of the pin at that contact point would also move the slide forward.

Ed Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm

Oooopsy, 3 or 9 o’clock. Not 6.
Yes you could modify the slide stop pin. Shear strength of the slide stop pin would still be greater than the rear of the bottom lugs; approximately 0.100” vs 0.200”.
The mods to the slide stop can affect link contact points.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 pm

I didn't even notice the 6 vs. 9 error.

I see the point of certain pin modifications also affecting the link interfacing.  That pin has a lot of responsibility both in locking and unlocking!

Ed Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next