Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

+10
bruce martindale
ash
Wobbley
zanemoseley
aub1957
chopper
10sandxs
bmize1
troystaten
Jon Eulette
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 Empty Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have a 1965 Colt 45 acp Kit Gun built by Shockey. Really like the pistol but hate shooting it. Barrel unlocked immediately and slide comes back too fast and the recoil was harsh with 3.4 BE 200 lswc. Bottom lugs should be bearing against slide stop minimum of 0.050” before the barrel can unlock from the slide lugs (in other words slide can travel 0.050” to the rear before barrel can drop.
So I pulled the barrel and had it laser micro welded. I welded/refit the hood and bottom barrel lugs.
Pics will show old lug (blued finish) and new weld material (shiny finish) when viewing the lug from the sides. I’m almost finished with it and hope to be shooting it soon.
JonĀ 
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 1b7df910
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 624da110
Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 09efe410
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

spursnguns, bmize1 and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 Empty Re: Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:39 pm

I bought a Springfield Armory 1911 upper assembly from Jon and like the recoil characteristics from the barrel fitting. Very pleasant to shoot with my "learn-how-to-shoot-better-with-no-brainer-ammo" 200gr LSWC over 4.0gr BE loads made with good quality control. Softer and mellower recoil than my earlier barrel, and easier for me to call my shots.

I really like having the gear sorted out so I can concentrate on shooting better.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit - Page 2 Empty Re: Old School Barrel Fit vs Modern Fit

Post by Froneck Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:48 am

I have spray welding torch, I have been using a Eutetic powder that is a Nickel Carbide alloy. It's very hard and I must use Diamond wheel to grind the lower lug the same as in Jon's photo. I do not round the front of the lower lug like in the Shockey photo. I did use Carbide powder but had a cracking problem, not later but during the cooling. If it didn't crack when cooled it lasted forever but now using Nickel/Carbide powder I don't have the problem and the lower lug lasts forever. Only have to change the slide stop pin when it wears down.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2