Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement and life after several bourbons...

+35
Allen Barnett
Leadhead
lonegunman
chopper
nagantino
estuck
mpolans
Mike M.
Colt711
BruceV
jwax
clark2245
Travlr99
Jack H
fc60
sbtzc
bruce martindale
CR10X
TicTocer
joy2shoot
Gary Collette
Axehandle
Wobbley
Al
zanemoseley
Deerspy
RodJ
LongSlide
Jwhelan939
weber1b
Pinetree
inthebeech
jglenn21
spursnguns
mhayford45
39 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Retirement and life after several bourbons... - Page 2 Empty Retirement and life after several bourbons...

Post by mhayford45 Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Realized today that retirement life is like being in a time out. Nice surroundings, good things to eat, people who care about you but not much going on until the time out is over........

mhayford45

Mike M., spursnguns, Jon Eulette, knightimac and GySgt7291 like this post

Back to top Go down

Retirement and life after several bourbons... - Page 2 Empty Re: Retirement and life after several bourbons...

Post by mhayford45 Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:58 pm

i feel better about most everything after several Bourbons. Even 8's which I use to hate when I shot one. My favorite Bourbon is Blackened, Then Buffalo Trace, then Woodford, Then Blanton's. I have had some Pappy Van Winkle.... very nice.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Retirement and life after several bourbons... - Page 2 Empty Re: Retirement and life after several bourbons...

Post by weber1b Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 pm

mhayford45 wrote:i feel better about most everything after several Bourbons. Even 8's which I use to hate when I shot one. My favorite Bourbon is Blackened, Then Buffalo Trace, then Woodford, Then Blanton's. I have had some Pappy Van Winkle.... very nice.
I have a hard time picking a favorite.....Retirement and life after several bourbons... - Page 2 Bar10

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:07 pm

weber1b wrote:One of my goals in retirement is to start scheduling trips around different regionals, using them as an impetus to visit various parts of the country. I like driving trips and these could provide for some interesting excoursions.

This is what my plan was also. Unfortunately I developed essential tremors, so have switched to the port side. Not much better scorewise. Area of hold is far tighter, but so far, area of trigger control has negated that as an advantage. Still a great bunch of guys to exchange a ration of derogatory insults with, so the fun hasn't been reduced. Just the scores.

Probably the biggest regret, as has been already mentioned, is saving the "good" ammo for later. 
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Just punched in to work and found out the foreman on our shift passed from covid.

Might have to re-think my retirement plans.

Life is short.
Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Greetings,

I "Stopped working for the Man" in 2010.

My time is now spent on machining parts for folks in my personal shop.

Add to that, casting, swaging, loading, testing, and shooting on Monday's.

My wife officially retired a year ago.

We both seem to have plenty of things to occupy ourselves.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

bruce martindale, Jon Eulette, chopper and RustyJoints like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:54 pm

I retired 5.5 years ago at almost 67.  Work had become so intense in the last 10-12 years that I had no time for serious shooting.  Now, caring for Mother who is 97, and being on the board of our local range, I still do not have time for serious shooting.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Travlr99 Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am

I went on partial retirement (1/2 the year full time, off the other 1/2) about 8 years ago, and full retirement about 5 years ago.  Still do some consulting, about 25% time, and mostly from home.  Until the pandemic, I was traveling 7-8 months a year and having a great time.  After most countries shut down, I had to readjust my life.  At first it was boring, but then I took up shooting and we're also back to a modest amount of travel.  My take is that to have fun in retirement, you have to have enough interesting things to do every day, but not so many that you're as stressed as when you were working.

Travlr99

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Retirement and life after several bourbons... - Page 2 Fishmo10
Also Shootmore & Dolittle is a good retirement plan.

clark2245

joy2shoot and Travlr99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Retired in 2018, packed up and moved to western NY where the daughters and granddaughters live. Bought a few acres, remodeled a 200-yr old farmhouse, started a fruit orchard, built a gun range, blazed a few nature trails through the woods, restarted the old ham radio hobby, turned 75, and am enjoying life for all its worth.
Never got past Expert, and the way the scores have been lately, will stay there. 
But, I'm a High Master at keeping busy, loving my family, and listening to what Clint Eastwood says, "Don't let the old man in!".
2 decades ago, Wild Turkey was a favorite!
jwax
jwax

RustyJoints likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 am

I've always had a hard time with the word retirement. I just don't look at working having an end date.  And I don't look at any of my activities having an end date either.

I like what I do and have complete control how often I work, that was my plan as I grew older.  I did not want anyone controlling my time and because I was able to plan accordingly I can work a lot or I can work very little.

The key for me has always been to replace the time that becomes available with another activity.  So I'm busy doing something most days.

The past 7 years I've worked at mostly riding my motorcycles at the racetrack.  Living in New England you don't get to do that half the year.  So that brings me to my next job, BE shooting.

Just getting back into it, forgot how much I enjoyed shooting.  With the gun club only 5 minutes from my house, I figure 3 or 4 times a week will be the schedule for me.

I need to stay busy, I really enjoy getting out meeting new people, be it from work or my other activities.

I listen to my friends who have retired, they are glad they did, but almost all of them tell me they miss the socialization.  I guess that is a big reason why I still work a little. And the money helps pay for everything associated with shooting, and then there is the cost of going to the racetrack a few weekends every month. 

Growing old sometimes, many times is not easy, beats the alternative, for me I get up every day and tell myself; Never Give Up, Ever.

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:36 pm

LongSlide wrote:
Jwhelan939 wrote:14 more years...
Don't blink, it goes fast.
You just said it man. I was able to get out at 48. I'll be 80 Sat! 1st yrs were great! Matches, woodchuck hunting, and the companionship of a great wife. Now, Matches are over, can't travel, no woodchucks in FL. Worst by far...the best wife a man ever had is gone and I am lonely. 

Looking back it was a great ride. Great wife, good friends, accurate guns, and some great places to shoot. FL is great and I still shoot at a good range.

Advice, if wanted, don't put things off, call or go see your friends, do that special project, TODAY.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

chopper, onlylead and msmith44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:28 pm

I know the OP's feeling.  Pulled the plug myself six months ago, am bored out of my head.  The good news is that I'm signed up as a guest lecturer for a couple of classes next year, and have a job application in.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:47 pm

5.5 years ago I used to say I spent 3/4 of my time at the desk, and 3/4 of my time in the field.  Now I believe it is 3/4 of my time with Mother 97, and 3/4 of my time as gun club XO.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Wow, they say youth is wasted on the young, but from some of these posts, I'd say that retirement is wasted on the old! I can't wait for retirement! Unfortunately, I've got another 14 years (maybe only 9 years, if I'm lucky).

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Retired after close to 40 years in law enforcement. Went from the stress and adrenaline rush of the streets to the quiet calm of the "golden years". Problem is I found that adjusting to the quiet life is not easy. Found the dream retirement job of mowing grass at a golf course. The reality of retirement is that it coincides with the aging process. I have found my shooting scores drop off as the eyesight weakens and you can no longer hold like you used to. Considered quitting the sport in search of something more age friendly. Time to face reality in that as we age we may not be as competitive as we once were, and find satisfaction in participation and camaraderie.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 pm

I pulled the trigger (figuratively speaking) today.

Set up my Social Security, notified HR, and my last day is April 1, 2022.

Pinetree
Pinetree

dieselguy624, oldtrptplyr and Travlr99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nagantino Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Yeah, I’m ten years retired. But what’s this Retired thing? First year was kinda odd but now it’s a new life. I have a studio where I paint if I want to. I shoot at the range when I want to. It’s the old cliche …Where did I ever get the time to Work? I enjoyed my silly youth, I worked my ass off, I do now what I want. Lots of guys and girls I worked with never made it this far……So enjoy it all.

nagantino

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:04 am

nagantino wrote:Yeah, I’m ten years retired. But what’s this Retired thing? First year was kinda odd but now it’s a new life. I have a studio where I paint if I want to. I shoot at the range when I want to. It’s the old cliche …Where did I ever get the time to Work? I enjoyed my silly youth, I worked my ass off, I do now what I want. Lots of guys and girls I worked with never made it this far……So enjoy it all.
  You're right about some people not getting to retire due to a lot of reason. I went when I got my full benefits. I really don't like the word retired but prefer graduated. Like I graduated from working for pay to working for pleasure and doing things I never had time to try.
Stan

chopper

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:19 am

To follow up, my wife reminded me that I did not actually retire.  I'm now under new management.  And I no longer have an expense account. 

CR

CR10X

Al, bruce martindale, chopper, onlylead, oldtrptplyr and Travlr99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:29 am

Engineers never retire either.  We like to be called consultants.  This is turning out to be more ironic than funny.  I’m seriously thinking about going back in some capacity.  Grouse season is only a couple months.  They’ve all but vanished in the northeast anyway.  No grandkids yet and sampling bourbons is not a healthy hobby.  For purposes of contributing to this thread however I have found a suitable substitute for Buffalo Trace when not available; give Clyde Mays a try.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Mike M. and oldtrptplyr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:36 am

WOHOOO!!! It's finally here.
Today at noon I get to be unemployed for the first time in over 60 years. 
Going to celebrate with 3 fingers and a water splash. I'd love to spend it on the front porch, but it's 20 below zero outside, sooo í'm thinking the recliner would be a bit warmer.

Al

chopper, onlylead, Arthur and oldtrptplyr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:18 pm

I've been working towards my retirement for 40 years.  I'm finished with job #1, 12 months from collecting my ANG pension and six months after that I'm done with job #3.  Don't go saying it sucks, lol.

I'm looking forward to mine.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by Leadhead Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 pm

I retired on January 1, after 43 yrs. as a steel worker. The last 27 doing shift work, changing shifts every week really takes a toll on your body and social life. I do not regret retiring one bit. I’m 62 and looking forward to start living and enjoying life again. People keep asking me what am I going to do when I’m retired, all I can tell them is what I am not going to do, go back to that steel mill...

Leadhead

straybrit, chopper, Pinetree and Workinman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:53 pm

27 years in a Steel mill...

29 days to go.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Leadhead Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:56 am

Pinetree wrote:27 years in a Steel mill...

29 days to go.

Those last days will feel like forever to pass by, but they will. I hope you will enjoy a long and healthy retirement. Stay active..

Leadhead

Pinetree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next