Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic pistol exemption in NYS

+5
john bickar
PaulK51
bruce martindale
Coupebuilder
Ray Dash
9 posters

Go down

olympic - Olympic pistol exemption in NYS Empty Olympic pistol exemption in NYS

Post by Ray Dash Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:37 am

I am going to try for the third year in a row to petition my local politicians in NY to allow for Olympic style firearms exemptions like they do in most other States. Now that our extreme anti-gun, SAFE ACT designer was thrown out of office I might have a better chance at getting somewhere even though I don't have high expectations. 

If anyone has done this in their State and would like to give me some tips I would appreciate it.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

john bickar, Bullseye58, ric1911a1, DonBrummer, Bmitch996, Arthur and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

olympic - Olympic pistol exemption in NYS Empty Fantastic Idea!

Post by Coupebuilder Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:09 pm

Im not sure on Hochul's past stance on firearms, other than signing a few ever popular "ghost gun" bans and some similar super worrying trends....but if you can point out that even Commie-fornia has a list of exempt "Olympics" style pistols we might have a shot. Considering most gang bangers aren't out and about with 2k on up Pardinis etc. Unless, they start to offer the gold tiger-striped version then we may have to worry....

Anyway Im in for a letter if you put something together I will distribute it to my local Bullseye guys and get signatures. Im new-ish to the sport but about at the point where Id like to be able to at least consider a High end pistol as an option. The old HS did well for my grandfather and plenty of other guys but Im still willing to let technology give me any lead I can. My only worry is that to a non gun person they do look futuristic and "assaulty".....even more reason for most of us to buy one!

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

olympic - Olympic pistol exemption in NYS Empty Re: Olympic pistol exemption in NYS

Post by bruce martindale Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:42 am

California did it on behalf of Lauren Santibaniez, an Olympic team shooter. I understand the list was never updated so only non competitive equipment is exempt. That's the trouble with lists and definitions.

Ken Bruen (NYSP) is/ was your problem in NY. Robert Mitchell from USA Shooting, the US Olympic governing body attempted to work with him. Never heard about results.

Entire unSAFE Act needs to go but in the end, as demonstrated so well during the summer of love and peaceful protests, it's really a war on non gang non criminal ability to shoot well for sport and if necessary, to defend yourself/ your property/ your church, your town.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

olympic - Olympic pistol exemption in NYS Empty Olympic pistol exemption

Post by PaulK51 Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:20 am

I live in NY and attempted to try and start something by writing my State Congresswoman, Kathleen Rice. She, her office, Sent back a form letter so I think They basically blew me off.

Auto-Reply from Representative Kathleen Rice   
Wed, Oct 9, 2019 10:05 am

Representative Kathleen Rice To:you Details
Thank you for taking the time to contact me. Your thoughts and concerns are always important and do make a difference. Please know that I will respond to your message as soon as possible. If this is an issue that requires immediate assistance I ask that you contact my DC or District office, the phone numbers for which can be found at the bottom of my website,

Thank you, 

Kathleen Rice 
Member of Congress 
NY-4

I would like to pursue this but don't know how to proceed to get some effective movement. Any thoughts or suggestions. My next move  will be to go to her district office. Plan to make this my New Years resolution. 

PaulK51

Back to top Go down

olympic - Olympic pistol exemption in NYS Empty Re: Olympic pistol exemption in NYS

Post by john bickar Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:20 pm

There are a number of threads on TargetTalk regarding the California Olympic Exempt list: https://www.google.com/search?q=olympic+exempt+site%3Atargettalk.org

There doesn't appear to be a blueprint for the process. Unfortunately, Sandy Santibañez passed away a number of years ago.

Based on what I know of how it works in California, I strongly recommend that you engage legal counsel, and that you get the exemption written in such a way that the NY equivalent of the CA DOJ/BOF is required to update the list when requested by USA Shooting.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:02 pm

john bickar wrote:the CA DOJ/BOF is required to update the list when requested by USA Shooting.

So apparently, USA Shooting has not requested this since 2013, the latest date of the Olympic list?

I've never heard of this "required" aspect of the list. Is there some info on this online?
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 pm

You misunderstood what I wrote (or I was not clear; equally likely).

I do not believe that the CA DOJ/BOF is *required* to return calls from USAS. I was suggesting that efforts in NY ensure such a provision.

john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:33 am

Wouldn't a local shooting sport body be a good place to start? In Georgia, we have the Georgia State Shooting Association, surely NY would have something similar? 

Just a thought, hope it helps!
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by DonBrummer Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:48 pm

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association.
https://www.nysrpa.org/
info@nysrpa.org

Tom King is the president.
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm

DonBrummer wrote:New York State Rifle & Pistol Association.
https://www.nysrpa.org/
info@nysrpa.org

Tom King is the president.
NYSRPA is throwing all of its eggs in the current SCOTUS debate and other ancillary laws in the state courts.

EVERYTHING else is second.

Am a former NYer and member. The Association picks and chooses its fights and efforts (wisely or unwisely). The competition world in NYS was fair when I lived there.

Association supports competition like its a red headed stepchild. Here and there, just to say they do support it. They boast about competitions in its newsletter. Some articles, photographs, results. But the Association really has its hooks into the political area.

Maybe things have changed in 20 years. Also Tom King has been personally embroiled in some lawsuits in the past decades. I occasional correspond with associates in NYS. Does noit look good.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down