Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting Scope recommendation

+7
james r chapman
Axehandle
troystaten
xman
yynick
zanemoseley
millerdk
11 posters

Go down

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation Empty Spotting Scope recommendation

Post by millerdk 1/7/2022, 7:27 am

Newbie to the Bullseye world so bear with me.  I'm looking at buying a pistol box and was looking for recommendations on spotting scope and mount.  Most boxes do not come with either, so are there any ones that are the "standard" or others to avoid?  Champions Choice mount and scopes?  I'm not new to the shooting sports, so I do believe in the "Buy once, cry once", theory as well.

What works for you guys?  Thanks for your help.

Dave

millerdk

astroturf3040 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation Empty Re: Spotting Scope recommendation

Post by zanemoseley 1/7/2022, 7:38 am

Try to find a used Strong Case which come with a mount, occasionally you'll see decent deals on them, some go for big money. My buy once cry one spotting scope is the Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm spotting scope.

zanemoseley

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation Empty Re: Spotting Scope recommendation

Post by yynick 1/7/2022, 11:15 am

Not sure what fits into the box you may buy but as to relatively small spotting scopes you should take a look at Pentax PF-65. It’s a great little scope. Ed

yynick

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 1/7/2022, 11:35 am

This is the scope I have for BE. Great glass, large obj lens. Nice variable magnification, all you need for BE. Compact, will fit any box.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/hawke-sport-optics-nature-trek-9-27x56-spotting-scope.html

Vortexs scope are also on the website for comparison.

Check and compare warranties, wherever you get a scope from.

www.bullseyegear.com might have box mounts. Champion choice too.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 1/7/2022, 8:49 pm

I have a Minox 16x30x50 it is a nice scope and not too expensive. They make both an angled one and a straight barreled one.  I would second finding a Strong Case if you can.  There are lots of second hand cases of other brands as well.  

Good luck.

troystaten

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/8/2022, 4:17 am

Doesn't take much scope for 50 yards.  If you have the slightest idea you'll use it for rifle shooting spend more...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/8/2022, 4:24 am

Try and find the longest eye relief you can. We all wear glasses 🤓 now
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Pinetree, MikeGibbs and oldtrptplyr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by astroturf3040 1/9/2022, 10:34 am

I have used Kowa t-9 either fixed or variable. Rugged. Small. Fits in boxes. Recommended! Not in production but eBay is a source! Good luck on a box! Thanks
millerdk wrote:Newbie to the Bullseye world so bear with me.  I'm looking at buying a pistol box and was looking for recommendations on spotting scope and mount.  Most boxes do not come with either, so are there any ones that are the "standard" or others to avoid?  Champions Choice mount and scopes?  I'm not new to the shooting sports, so I do believe in the "Buy once, cry once", theory as well.

What works for you guys?  Thanks for your help.

Dave

astroturf3040

oldtrptplyr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 1/11/2022, 10:28 am

this one focuses down to the fifty foot target.

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation JYkGH7z

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation F1XoG14

The zoom is 16X to 30X, I never have it above 16X and wish the lower end magnification was 10X. I just don't need more magnification and if I can't see the bullet at 16X, I won't see it at 30X, because mirage gets worse at higher magnifications. 

Whatever you buy, check to see how close it focuses. I thought I could use this rifle scope

Spotting scope - Spotting Scope recommendation TLw8oOE

but it would not focus at the 50 foot indoor target. Don't remember if it would focus at 25 yards.

Slamfire

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 1/13/2022, 12:16 pm

Slamfire thanks for pointing this out because I am thinking of buying a scope.  I only shoot indoors at 50ft. I didn't know it made a difference.  You're saying I would want something around 10x?

285wannab

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by millerdk 1/13/2022, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.  Leaning towards the Minox right now, looks like it checks all the boxes for focus, adjustability, size, etc.

Dave

millerdk

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 1/14/2022, 8:44 am

I got this one. Focuses down to 8 feet. Works fine at 25 yards indoors on 22 holes with not so great light.  I don’t use the high end but it’s very clear even at that end.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/nature-trek-9-27x56-spotting-scope.html

I got it on sale if I recall correctly.  The stupid lens covers don’t stay on and the neoprene jacket is a turd. But it’s compact and clear.

My first scope is a fixed 20x Bushnell Sentry II off eBay for $80. It’s really clear at 50 yards and 22 holes are visible in the black.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down