Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE

+4
chiz1180
STEVE SAMELAK
NukeMMC
JIMPGOV
8 posters

Go down

NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE Empty NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE

Post by JIMPGOV 2/5/2022, 2:00 pm

YEP , A FRIEND OF MINE STARTED TOO GET FAILURE TO FIRE ON HIS MARVEL. HERE'S A PHOTO OF THE CULPRIT. IT'S OVER 10YRS OLD . WHO KNOWS HOW MANY ROUNDS THRU IT. A QUICK DRESS UP WITH A STONE AND WAS BACK TO NORMAL.
Attachments
NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE Attachment
FIRING PIN.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(58 Kb) Downloaded 38 times

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE Empty Re: NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE

Post by NukeMMC 2/6/2022, 8:17 pm

I would have thought it better hardened than that.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE Empty Re: NO WONDER IT STARTED TO HAVE FAILURES TO FIRE

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/6/2022, 8:37 pm

I think at that point there is a very fine line between being so hard that it chips or soft enough to deform from impact.  I also think that a cycle count would be necessary to declare the part a failure as opposed to just normal wear.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 2/6/2022, 9:36 pm

CYCLE COUNT? HOW ABOUT SEVERAL CASES. 10 INDOOR AND OUTDOOR SEASONS.

SOMETIMES WE DON'T EVEN REALIZE HOW MUCH WE'VE USED THESE THINGS.

STEVE KNOWS AND UNDERSTANDS METAL FATIGUE BETTER THAN MOST PEOPLE I KNOW. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 2/6/2022, 9:54 pm

Surprised it lasted that long. I have broken two in mine with less than a case threw it. I do dryfire significantly more than livefire though.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 2/6/2022, 10:09 pm

If you haven't had some parts break your not using it enough.

weber1b

STEVE SAMELAK, Vociferous and troystaten like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 2/7/2022, 12:23 am

Weber1b,

Yes, there are bits of my body that can attest to that fact!

RoyDean

Al, STEVE SAMELAK and troystaten like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 2/7/2022, 10:08 am

NukeMMC wrote:I would have thought it better hardened than that.
Picture indicates that this firing pin went through a lot of dry firing.  So if it was hardened more (i.e. made out for S7) good chance there would be a ditch on the face of the slide.  Not much hardening is necessary for making dent on brass.  Steel on steel is different matter.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 2/13/2022, 8:17 am

If the firing pin nose is dented through dry firing, I wonder what the breech on the barrel looks like. Probably not better.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 2/13/2022, 8:38 am

Slamfire wrote:If the firing pin nose is dented through dry firing, I wonder what the breech on the barrel looks like. Probably not better.

SORRY, BUT NO. THE BREACH FACE IS PERFECT. THIS WAS NOT CAUSED BY DRY FIRING.JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down