Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone use a log book?

+7
Bullseye10X
Al
Toz35m
DeweyHales
DavidR
sixftunda
Jwhelan939
11 posters

Go down

Does anyone use a log book?  Empty Does anyone use a log book?

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm a little ocd in just about everything I do. I created my own log; however, I was wondering if anyone used a purchased log book, or would be willing to share the log they created?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use a log book?  Empty Re: Does anyone use a log book?

Post by sixftunda Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Are you talking about something like an Hebard Score Book?
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm

i use a small notebook to record each match, guns, loads and my zero info so i can go back to it
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 pm

I keep a notebook with performance, training activities, scores, loads, leanrings, etc. After a match like the P100, I make notes and read notes before the NTI. In local matches, the notes are between aggs or even targets.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm

When I mostly shot Free and Air pistol I kept a log book or diary.  I would take notes after every time I would shoot and train dry firing.  

-I would make notes of when and where I was how things went
-What went well and what was going on in your head when you shot a great string
-Areas of improvement to help what you should work on next
-Goals I had for the day and how it went. 
-Scores 
-How many shots I took
-How long I trained
-Ammo used
-Range notes (lighting, range set up, what did I have to do different from my home range, how long did the drive take, Food on the way, lunch options around the range, hotels in the area and places to eat, directions to range)

For some reason I got out of the habit of it but....If I were to start doing this again I would include the above but also include other information like:

Loads
Gun set up: Recoil spring weight based on load, Dot or Irons
Special notes for box set up, brass catcher
Stapler or tape for posting targets
Take photos of range and box set up on the line

when I started BE I found myself trying to remember what I did last year like what load was I using last year.

Today there are lots of options making this an easier task like using an iPad or other tablet. You can take photos or video of the range and add commentary.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm

I use a scorebook for every match.  For practice I use a small notebook to keep track of ideas, changes & how they affected my scores.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Sixft... I have seen gils score book listed online, however, I can't find a pic of the inside to see what type of info is covered.

David... That's essentially what I am doing now. I just made a printout to write my notes on.

Taz... That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for but in a printed bound book. Something that really helps evaluate your environment and frame of mind in addition to load and gear.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Sorry. I meant Toz, not Taz

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Before pistol I shot smallbore.  I made print outs of forms I would fill out which I created and kept them in a 3 ring binder.  Of course when you shoot smallbore you have a big bag to carry all of the stuff so you have room for more things to carry.

I am sure you could do the same and have it bound for you.  May not need 8.5" x 11".  One page per day with a section at the top of each page to fill out and then most of the page blank for notes.  I would suggest you start with a blank sketch book maybe one with lines in it and just start taking notes to see what you end up taking notes on.

They are very helpful when you want to go back and remember what you did on that day you had a great score or that range you were at 3 yrs ago and there was something odd about it but you just do not remember.  Maybe the sun is in your eyes early in the day so wear a hat.

good luck
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Right now I use Microsoft Excel to log my scores, with a separate tab for each comp.  

If there is interest here, I CAN DESIGN a standalone database (.exe file) with all necessary fields you can fill in that's searchable, printable, etc.

Bullseye10X

http://bullseyepistol.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:56 am

I made a spreadsheet on my iPad to keep track of my scores but I do not know how to get it to do any calculations.  I wish I could get it to show my percentages for slow fire and sustained separately.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 am

There is a iOS app called iSpreedsheet.  It does cost some money but you can use it on your ipad.  You can make some formulas but it is slow.  You have to type them out like you would in excel.   If you want to add the values of cells A1 and A2 and have the result in A3 you enter the following in cell A3 "=A1+A2"

The great thing about this app is you can make a file in Excel on your desktop/laptop then save it in google docs or dropbox.  Then open it on your iPad or iPhone and you can enter scores during a match.  Then when you are done just save it back to google docs or dropbox and open it on your desktop.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

I keep a small note book in my gun box and record each match, such as load, scores, temp, weather conditions, gun problems, trouble with a particular magazine, etc.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes, I have logged rounds and scores for more than 20 years.  It helps you keep track of sight settings, performance under different conditions, scores, matches and rounds fired.  Very useful stuff.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

i use a small spiral bound cheap notebook from any office supply store. While I do note how my practice strings go, I write notes on what I did to have good results and so forth, what drills I did, etc...

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 pm

If one wants to excel, it isn't a good idea to rely on memory. Taking notes will help one determine just what works and what doesn't. Human nature is to practice what one does well, but that doesn't win matches. Improving weaknesses does! In addition to actual match results and training with the pistol, it probably is a good idea to detail sleep, eating patterns and amount of exercise (and what type) one had before a match. After one rises to a certain level, being mentally prepared is a big part of the game. Success instills confidence.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down