Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant

+11
djperry2
Axehandle
Merick
Foundryratjim
Olde Pilot
SteveT
NukeMMC
sharkdoctor
hg401
TomH_pa
srp
15 posters

Go down

Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant Empty Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant

Post by srp Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:52 pm

I am looking for the "recipe" for home made gun lubricating oil (not Ed's Red cleaning). I believe it includes auto trans fluid. Thanks
srp
srp

Back to top Go down

Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant Empty Re: Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant

Post by TomH_pa Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:13 pm

https://starreloaders.com/edhall/redoil.html

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant Empty Re: Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant

Post by hg401 Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:27 pm

I wonder if this recipe is still "valid" with the new transmission fluids (as opposed to the older Dextron and Mercron).

And what is the advantage over an oil such as Mobil 1?

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Search "ngmtu red oil" this site.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:39 pm

About 20 years ago, the head of the Match shop at NSWC Crane told me a recipe they found worked great on the SR-25 rifles for increased reliability.  He also recommended it for any AR-type rifle, especially shooting suppressed, as it helped keep carbon buildup from becoming hard and "baked" on.

1 part LPS light weapon oil - general water-displacing lubricant and stable across temperatures
1 part Aviation Hydraulic fluid (Aeroshell 41 works well) - works well under pressure and penetrates into voids, porosity and seams well
2 parts synthetic 2-stroke oil (I use Bel Ray MC1) - provides lubrication in high temperatures and keeps carbon/soot in suspension so it is easier to clean

I now use this on my match pistols as it keeps everything well lubed and easy to clean with just a thin film.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Recipe for gun oil
-------------------
1 part oil (gun oil, motor oil, machine oil, whatever is handy)
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

STEVE SAMELAK, BE Mike, Hawkja, WesG and Coupebuilder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:28 pm

+1 for Steves solution!

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:43 pm

I've been using Amsoil synthetic motor oil for years....

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by srp Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:33 pm

The recipe that I am trying to find did not use Hoppes at all
srp
srp

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:54 pm

This page has a huge collection of homemade gun related chemicals. This link is to the oil section.

https://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Oil
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:20 pm

I'd settle for an oil that wasn't very good, if it just came in a bottle that could actually contain it.

Merick

Deerspy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:22 pm

Merick wrote:I'd settle for an oil that wasn't very good, if it just came in a bottle that could actually contain it.

I've had success with a small glass bottle with an eye dropper.  Doesn't leak, even when horizontal in my box.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:45 pm

A NGMTU gunsmith, the original Joe Chambers, gave me the NGMTU mix about 40 years ago.  Here it is in his original handwriting.  FWIW it makes a lot.  Order some oiler bottles from Brownell's. 
Recipe - Home Made Gun Oil/Lubricant HYkgmVW

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:25 am

Axehandle
That is exactly the recipe Joe gave me 35 -40 years ago. I mixed up a batch. I still have about 3.5 quarts out in the shed. None of us would ever use that much gun oil. Joe was supplying a whole lot of shooters.
He was a good gunsmith. He worked on three of my guns and did excellent work. Joe installed a Kart conversion on my Gold Cup somewhere around 1985. It has been very reliable until the last case of CCISV from about 2 years ago. Ammo related problems. Shoots SV for sf and mini mags for TF & RF. 
My thoughts about the oil would be to split it with 15 or 20 others. I have decided to just buy a bottle of good gun oil when needed going forward.
Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:22 am

Nine shooting buddies and each gets a pint.  Smile   
FWIW it is not good for your 22 in cold weather.
Even after giving a couple of quarts to friends, I am still working out of the original batch I made long ago.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:55 pm

I've been using Mobil 1 5W20 for 30 years. Clings a little better than ATF.  

Lubriplate 105 for grease for the same 30 years. About the same consistency as Wilson's Ultima Lube. 

Works well for revolvers as well as semi-autos. I generally quick-clean and lube after around 300 rounds. 

I was shooting around 750-900 rounds a month on the Sheriff's PPC Pistol Team. 

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:23 pm

ATF + Rapid Tap clings as well as anything.. add a  touch of pretty much any hi pressure additive and you're done.. Comp cams cam lube works well as the high pressure additive
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:49 pm

jglenn21 wrote:ATF + Rapid Tap clings as well as anything.. add a  touch of pretty much any hi pressure additive and you're done.. Comp cams cam lube works well as the high pressure additive
 That cam lube is clingy stuff, I used to have a bag of crater lube, it was used on railroad locomotives. I don't think there's anything stickier that clings like that stuff, unless you get into the greases.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:47 pm

bought a lot of estates over the years and ended up with a bunch of partial bottle of various snake oils, 

all work ,  as far as general cleaning etc, (what I use it for) and cleaning bores, 

I bought out an older bullseye guy's stuff that had a couple original plastic containers of Ed's Red, 
the acetone and who knows what was evaporated out, but it still was a good lube,, just a bit viscous

a friend swears by slide glide,    i've tried it and it works well
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down