Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 52 and Fired Brass

+2
C.Perkins
BE Mike
6 posters

Go down

S&W Model 52 and Fired Brass Empty S&W Model 52 and Fired Brass

Post by BE Mike 7/28/2013, 6:34 am

I was checking and cleaning a S&W model 66 revolver the other day. I was going to put some fired .38 Special brass in the chamber and it wouldn't fit. The brass was too large near the base to go into the charging holes of the revolver. The brass is factory, once fired, Federal Match 148 gr. HBWC. It was fired from my S&W model 52-1. Is there something wrong with my S&W model 52-1 or is that normal? BTW, I put in some .357 mag. brass that I had fired in another revolver and it fit just fine.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 52 and Fired Brass Empty Re: S&W Model 52 and Fired Brass

Post by C.Perkins 7/28/2013, 2:09 pm

Hello Mike;

What you describe is normal for the model 52's, well all 3 that I have owned did and do it(only own two of them now, a 52-1 and 52-2).

If you look very closely at the brass just above the rim and spin the case, you will see an area that is a bit blown out.

It is due from the combustion process and the timing of the ejection that  allows the unsupported section(at the feed ramp 6 oclock position) to blow out a bit.

When you resize the case, everything goes back to normal.

Dont worry about it, it is just a model 52 thing, enjoy Smile

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/28/2013, 3:10 pm

Thanks a lot. I was thinking that that was what it was. I've owned the pistol forever, but this time is the first time I used fired brass from it and tried it in a revolver's chambers. When you think you've just about seen it all, something like this experience crops up. It does keep this hobby/ sport interesting. I'm never too old to learn something.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 8/6/2013, 12:13 pm

That is why you resize cases.
If you tried to chamber cases fired in the revolver, it is doubtful they would easily chamber either...
Now, for loading for the M52 with Remington 148gn L-HBWC:
Don't resize. The slide will chamber the round and you need the unsized case large enough not to swage down the bullet.

Last edited by noylj on 8/12/2013, 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 8/8/2013, 9:58 am

I use a similar process when reloading for my 1911/.38spl.
Lee Universal decapper, minimal belling, flush seating and Lee factory crimp die.

My cases fired in the 1911 will fit in my Dan Wesson .357.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by jell-dog 7/26/2014, 11:43 pm

BE Mike wrote:I was checking and cleaning a S&W model 66 revolver the other day. I was going to put some fired .38 Special brass in the chamber and it wouldn't fit. The brass was too large near the base to go into the charging holes of the revolver. The brass is factory, once fired, Federal Match 148 gr. HBWC. It was fired from my S&W model 52-1. Is there something wrong with my S&W model 52-1 or is that normal? BTW, I put in some .357 mag. brass that I had fired in another revolver and it fit just fine.
What you describe here with your brass happens to brass fired in early gen Glocks. The unsupported end of the brass close to the rim gets a "slight guppy bulge" AKA "Glocked brass" and this brass needs to be fully resized to feed reliably.
Just my .02 worth.
jell-dog
jell-dog

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 7/27/2014, 7:14 am

I've had the same problem with my Model 14-2.  Brass fired in a Model 52 needs to be fully resized because the barrel does not fully support the end of the brass.  Also, use a Lee Factory Crimp Die as the final stage in reloading.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down