Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's

+8
Orion
Wobbley
RodJ
Steve K
itshooter
RoyDean
shanneba
PhotoEscape
12 posters

Go down

Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's Empty Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's

Post by PhotoEscape 2/21/2022, 12:47 pm

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/super-extra-standard-velocity-22-long-rifle-rimfire-ammo-prod137274.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AFF_22+Long+Rifle&avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=In%2bStock&avs%7cBullet+Weight+(Grains)_1=40

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape

Gustavo1957 and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's Empty Re: Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's

Post by shanneba 10/5/2022, 6:45 am

Looks like Brownells has dropped the price from $194.99 / 2000 to $164.99 /2000

Last edited by shanneba on 10/5/2022, 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed 200 to 2000)

shanneba

Gustavo1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's Empty Re: Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's

Post by RoyDean 10/5/2022, 9:24 am

Ammoseek directed me to FoundryOutdoors who are offerring AgSEx at $3.01 a box or about $120/case, but ground shipping is then another $34 (+tax, etc., I guess). They seem to have a substantial quantity in stock.

I have never heard of or used that vendor, so usual caveats apply.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by itshooter 10/5/2022, 11:35 am

Academy has it for 2.99/box. My local store has it in stock, and they’ll also ship it for $8 flat rate.

itshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve K 10/7/2022, 6:28 pm

I wish I saw the Academy site before I bought 2,000 rounds from a dealer on this site. It would have been $44.00 cheaper.
Thanks for the information.

Steve K

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/8/2022, 9:27 am

itshooter wrote:Academy has it for 2.99/box. My local store has it in stock, and they’ll also ship it for $8 flat rate.

Im corn-fused. The Academy stuff is not labeled “Super Extra”. Just “standard velocity” and Eley Primed. The Brownells says “Super Extra” and Aguila Primed. 

Academy also lists a 40 grain “subsonic” version for $6.99 but out of stock. I looked up the Item Nos on another site - listed different velocities. I think they were 1130 vs 1070(?) fps. Whatever they were the difference was substantial. 

(Edited 1x to add primer type and another 1x to add velocity / Item No info)

Last edited by RodJ on 10/8/2022, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/8/2022, 9:36 am

RodJ,

AFAIK it is one and the same - as long as it states "standard velocity" it is fine. Eley supplied the priming line technology (possibly the whole production line?).

It is very good practice ammo, cycles reliably in all of my 22's and I have produced excellent groups with it at 50ft and 25yds. I have not used it seriously at 50yds, but I'm sure that it will match any of the other (previously) low cost options.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by itshooter 10/8/2022, 11:00 am

RodJ wrote:Im corn-fused. The Academy stuff is not labeled “Super Extra”. Just “standard velocity” and Eley Primed. The Brownells says “Super Extra” and Aguila Primed. 

This is one of the boxes I purchased at my local store last weekend.  
Aguila SE SV available at Brownell's 61a86210

itshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/8/2022, 11:07 am

Thanks Roy. I’ve had good luck as well with whatever version I have! The variety of product boxes they put out is head spinning.

IT - where are you located? I’m in Austin and this is what’s showing as in stock locally. But it doesn’t say Super Extra. ?8-/

https://www.academy.com/p/aguila-ammunition-lr-standard-velocity-22-40-grain-rimfire-ammunition-50-rounds?sku=-22-lr-40

Maybe I should get off my lazy butt and drive the 3 miles to see what’s on the shelf before the RR Shootout begins. Wife is a longhorn and I either root for them or end up sleeping in the yard.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by itshooter 10/8/2022, 11:12 am

RodJ wrote:
IT - where are you located? I’m in Austin and this is what’s showing as in stock locally. But it doesn’t say Super Extra. ?8-/

https://www.academy.com/p/aguila-ammunition-lr-standard-velocity-22-40-grain-rimfire-ammunition-50-rounds?sku=-22-lr-40

I’m in the Richmond, VA area. It now shows out of stock in store here, but still available for delivery. Pretty sure that is $8 flat rate.

itshooter

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/8/2022, 4:17 pm

ASFAIK, Eley licensed “Eley priming” to Aguila but Aguila did not renew the license.  This means that Aguila is all “Aguila primed” now.
Wobbley
Wobbley

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 10/8/2022, 8:51 pm

What’s the difference between SE SV and regular Aguila SV? Does anyone use SE SV at 50?

Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/8/2022, 8:59 pm

Orionsc - they are the same.

I answered your other question already:-

Orionsic,

I have used a lot of Aguila Super Extra SV, both the boxes labelled "Eley Primed" and more recent production labelled "Aguila Primed". Other than the label, I have not discerned any difference in the ammo.

I typically train at 25yds and have found this ammo to be accurate and reliable in Pardini, MG2, Ruger 22/45, various brands of 1911 conversion, Walther GSP, , etc. 

This morning we had an 1,800 practice match, with SF at 50yds. Weather was bright sunshine with an intermittent medium blustery wind - not ideal. I shot all 22 and was experimenting with ammo and other things that I'm currently working on. In the second 900 I used my David Sams Marvel, first two SF cards using Lapua Center-X for a 95 and a 94. I then switched to AgSEx and shot a 95 with, arguably, a tighter group. 

I was not surprised by the result. Past experience tells me that Aguila is good ammo at a very reasonable price.

YMMV

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez 10/8/2022, 9:23 pm

itshooter wrote:Academy has it for 2.99/box. My local store has it in stock, and they’ll also ship it for $8 flat rate.

Thanks for posting that, I just ordered a case and was only charged $8.00 shipping. Plus they honored no taxes, since MT has no sales tax.

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 10/9/2022, 1:32 am

RoyDean wrote:
YMMV

Indeed. My Marvel will just about hold the side of a barn at 50yds with Aguila. Both the Nelson conversions are 10 ring with it. All 3 produce close to X ring groups at 50yds with CCI SV. My MG2 gets better groups with it than with the CCI. 22s are weird.

I use it almost exclusively for 25 yd practice and I get 1-2% failure rate with them - though retry with the firing pin hitting a different place on the rim always works.

I did pick up a new batch at Perry (I had a 'bulk purchase' a few years ago which is almost finished) - I'll no doubt be starting that in a few weeks. Considering the cost, and availability, differential I'm totally fine continuing to use it for practice.

straybrit

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/9/2022, 7:28 am

The story is that when Eley upgraded to digital equipment for priming their .22 cartridges, they sold their old analog priming system to Aguila in Mexico. As part of the deal, Eley is said to have sent their experts to Mexico to assist in setting up the equipment. Many years ago when Aguila was still a new kid on the block, I bought and shot a lot of their .22 ammo. It was reliable and very reasonably priced. I've shot their Standard Velocity, Match Pistol, Match Rifle and Target ammo. I do have some very old (maybe 15 years)  Aguila "Target" .22 LR ammo still. I recently had a lot of failures to fire from a Sig P322 pistol that ignites CCI Standard Velocity very reliably. I haven't pulled any bullets to see if the primer compound has deteriorated over the years. That just might be a project for me today. I pulled some .22 LR bullets today. The primer compound of CCI Standard velocity was across the entire case bottom. One old CCI Standard Velocity dud round didn't have any primer compound at all. Some old Remington had a nice green ring of primer compound around the inside of the rim of the case. The old Aguila Target ammo had powder flakes sticking to the bottom of the inside of the cartridge case. I would say that the powder for this lot of Aguila Target might have been added while the primer compound was still wet or that moisture or other contaminant got into the cartridge case. I doubt that because the ammo was stored in a military ammo can for years in a cool, dry place. It IS possible, though, unlikely. We'll see about the reliability of current lots of Aguila standard velocity. I suspect that it will be fine and that I just got a bad lot years ago.

Last edited by BE Mike on 10/9/2022, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BE Mike
BE Mike

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 10/9/2022, 8:26 am

straybrit wrote:

22s are weird.
Without a doubt, the understatement of the thread thus far!

As a rifle shooter, I had an Anschutz M54 prone rifle that would shoot 100yd groups about quarter-size with Eley Tenex or Match.  Feed it the unobtainium Western Mark III and it would shoot dime size groups.  Of course, the bedding screw torque was different for each ammo also ... what a PITA to get the n-th degree of accuracy from that rifle!
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/9/2022, 10:50 am

I can’t seem to find Aguila SE SV on the Academy website to order it. My browser keeps sending me to the local stores.

Anyone have a link they could send?

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by itshooter 10/9/2022, 1:19 pm

RodJ wrote:I can’t seem to find Aguila SE SV on the Academy website to order it. My browser keeps sending me to the local stores.

Anyone have a link they could send?

https://www.academy.com/p/aguila-ammunition-lr-standard-velocity-22-40-grain-rimfire-ammunition-50-rounds

itshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down