Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreaming in 9mm

+18
Kp321
OldShooter43
Sc0
chiz1180
Merick
TicTocer
CO1Mtn
LenV
Spurls
Darrell Cox
tovaert
zanemoseley
Wobbley
NYKenn
Jon Eulette
toddcfii
Pinetree
mikemyers
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dreaming in 9mm - Page 2 Empty Dreaming in 9mm

Post by mikemyers 5/4/2022, 4:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

For various reasons, over the past several years I wanted a 9mm pistol for target shooting.  It would not be for competition, as I've already got the appropriate guns for that in 22, 38, and 45.  I guess it would be mostly to shoot for enjoyment, especially as how 9mm ammo is so readily available for good prices.  I also wanted a "Browning High Power", as I fell in love with it having seen one my range friend owns.

I already bought the Springfield SA-35 which is a High Power clone, shoots 9mm, and seems to offer enough precision for me, although it was never intended for target shooting.  I already wanted one, but this video pushed me over the edge:

I would like to be able to do things like what I did a lifetime ago, shooting at bowling pins, targets, steel plates, whatever.  I think the SA-35 is fine for all that, but probably nowheres close to precise enough for Bullseye shooting.  Heck, it doesn't even have adjustable sights, not that this slowed down Hickok45.

Moving on, I ALSO considered buying a high quality 9mm 1911.  My brother owns a Dan Wesson PM-9, and I'd love to buy one of them - new, they now cost $1,600 or so, but as I was told, if I want 50-yard precision, it would ALSO need lots of TLC from a gunsmith most likely including a precision barrel.

I also considered the Springfield 9mm Target:  
https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-trp-handguns/1911-loaded-target-9mm-handgun-stainless-ca-compliant/

They are apparently available for $1,000 or so, but they are hard to find - not sure if they are still in production.
I suspect there are other companies that make a similar gun, but I'm getting to really appreciate Springfield lately.

Most of you guys will understand - it's like "an itch" and needs scratching.  
I ain't got a wife tho shoot my ideas down, boom!!!!

I guess I ought to put up a WTB post in the Classified forum, but I'm still debating with myself whether I really ought to buy one.  It would also need some attention from a gunsmith if I want it to be capable of 50-yard precision, but that could always be postponed for a year, or longer.  If I'm going to compete, and if I really want precision, I've already got a Dave Salyer 45 Springfield, and a Les Baer Premiere II.  

I guess I'm just dreaming out loud.  I was going to post something like this several weeks ago, but decided not to bother anyone.

I'll ask anyway - would something like the Dan Wesson or Springfield be a worthwhile gun to own if I have no plans to compete with it?
Feel free to tell me what you really think, even if it's to bust my "balloon".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Dreaming in 9mm - Page 2 Empty Re: Dreaming in 9mm

Post by mikemyers 5/7/2022, 4:27 pm

OldShooter43 wrote:........Just wish that I could still shoot well enough to deserve owning it........

People recommend buying the best gun you can afford, so the gun will allow you to shoot to your potential.  What you wrote certainly applies to me.  Anyone who has seen my posted targets knows my limitations  That gun you are referring to - I doubt my targets would be any different than what I can shoot now at 25 yards.   With my 45, my current best (and this is two handed) is all  ten holes in the black.  Even if my brain was better, my eyes have limitations.  So I need to buy a gun that is "good", but nothing like what the top guys would be using.

I watched this video on the Dan Wesson PM9 earlier today, slowly, and repeating some parts:
     PM9
My gut feeling is that this gun is plenty good enough for me.
I also watched some matches where the same guy was competing.

My mind goes round and round, but this sounds like the perfect gun for my purposes (and I accept that others here may need one of the smith's in this forum to bring it up to what competitive bullseye requires.

I've got my Les Baer Premiere II ready to take to the range on Monday.  You guys could ask why I need or want a 9mm at all, when I already have this gun and my Salyer Springfield.
I understand I don't "need" it.  No way.  But I'll enjoy it for as long as I'm still shooting.  I'm sure of that.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 5/9/2022, 9:35 am

Over the years, I have owned a bunch of 9mm handguns including a dozen High Powers. They are fun and reliable but not match guns. I do have a High Power Competition that has good sights and a decent trigger but there are more accurate 9’s out there. I have a P210 Target that is superb but the trigger takes some getting used to. My favorite 9 is a S&W 952. Not easy to find but worth the hunt. It is an easy transition from my 52 to the 952.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/9/2022, 4:39 pm

Kp321 wrote:.......They are fun and reliable but not match guns....
How precise were they?  Maybe not enough for precision shooting, but were you satisfied with them?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 5/9/2022, 5:15 pm

What about a Browning Hi Power GP? Hard to find but maybe bullseye accurate but poor sights: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/11/03/hot-gat-or-fudd-crap-competitive-or-confusing-browning-hi-power/amp/
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/9/2022, 7:42 pm

Fascinating - would be fun to get one, but as a collector's item, it would cost a small fortune nowadays.

Dreaming in 9mm - Page 2 Browning-Hi-Power-Comp-LH-Side-660x383

Not sure what I'm going to do about anything right now.  Springfield has my SA-35 and they make a nice 1911 Target which Dave Salyer could make into a durn nice gun, but he doesn't like working on Stainless.  In a couple of weeks I'll get to shoot my brother's Pointman 9.  

Maybe I'll just quit where I'm at, and enjoy what I already have.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

toddcfii likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 5/9/2022, 8:00 pm

mikemyers wrote:Fascinating - would be fun to get one, but as a collector's item, it would cost a small fortune nowadays.

Dreaming in 9mm - Page 2 Browning-Hi-Power-Comp-LH-Side-660x383

Not sure what I'm going to do about anything right now.  Springfield has my SA-35 and they make a nice 1911 Target which Dave Salyer could make into a durn nice gun, but he doesn't like working on Stainless.  In a couple of weeks I'll get to shoot my brother's Pointman 9.  

Maybe I'll just quit where I'm at, and enjoy what I already have.....
Hard to say. What is your price range?  You said $3000 is too high. On GB, these HPGP Competitions can be had for $1600 to $2200.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/9/2022, 8:34 pm

Is a new Sig 210 Target worth dreaming about?  Not necessarily for BE.  Just because. 

I am downsizing.  Are Beretta 92 still popular?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 5/10/2022, 7:32 am

On the subject of High Powers, they are as accurate as any out-of-the-box 1911. The sights are a joke on the older models unless you have 20 year old eyes, the MkIII’s are much better as are the adjustable sight models. The competition model I mentioned in my previous post is the GP model which is more accurate but at 74 I can’t see the sights well enough and won’t bring myself to put a red dot mount on a collectible gun.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/10/2022, 11:29 am

Jack H wrote:Is a new Sig 210 Target worth dreaming about?  Not necessarily for BE.  Just because. 

A SIG is still a fine pistol.  But I’d rather have an M17 or M18 pistol right now.  I believe they’re as accurate “out of the box” as most 45 1911 hardball guns.  Unless you have the basic skills to shoot very well you’re not giving up much.   I’m not sure the 92 Beretta was ever popular except for the military guys.  Most civilians plugged along with the 1911 in 45 for the most part because it was easier.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/10/2022, 11:47 am

Mike, buy a S&W 439 with adjustable sights to satisfy the  itch .  It has three neat features . Affordable, same grips as your 52 and it's mags fit a 952. Which you're getting someday . Dreaming in 9mm - Page 2 20181012
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 5/10/2022, 3:46 pm

I like my Colt Competition 1911 9mm.  Even with the blue grips.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/10/2022, 3:55 pm

Nice guns!!
More things to think about.

In two weeks I'll get to shoot a Pointman 9, so I'm waiting to see how well I like it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 5/10/2022, 4:06 pm

I have a Springfield RO in 9mm.

It had an absolutely awful trigger from the factory. I think the guy who assembled it must have scraped it up and down a sidewalk with his shoe a couple times, to give it some extra factory grittiness.

I replaced it with a roll trigger from KC and it's worlds better. Shoots pretty well - though I mostly just knock steel with it, as my Sams Beretta is a much better bullseye service pistol. I think I Ransom Rested it and got ~2.5" groups at 50y with some factory ammo, but I could be misremembering that. For a $730 gun (Nov 2017 price) + $193 trigger I can't complain.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/10/2022, 6:40 pm

Well, I found out a little more about the Springfield Loaded Target.
Not sure why it took him six shots to deflate five balloons.....
In my mind, the Dan Wesson sounds better and better.

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/10/2022, 6:48 pm

The DW match pistols in my experience have better barrel fit than the RO. RO has terribly short lead angle and causes issues with loading some bullets. I like the DW pistols. You’ll probably be fine with a trigger job.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/10/2022, 6:51 pm

Thank you Jon, coming from you, that means a lot.  

I'll get to shoot my brother's PM9 in about two weeks.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 5/11/2022, 12:26 am

Wobbley wrote:
Jack H wrote:Is a new Sig 210 Target worth dreaming about?  Not necessarily for BE.  Just because. 

A SIG is still a fine pistol.  But I’d rather have an M17 or M18 pistol right now.  I believe they’re as accurate “out of the box” as most 45 1911 hardball guns.  Unless you have the basic skills to shoot very well you’re not giving up much.   I’m not sure the 92 Beretta was ever popular except for the military guys.  Most civilians plugged along with the 1911 in 45 for the most part because it was easier.

I'd put the M17 and M18 accuracy as less than pretty much any 45 1911 hardball.  

They're fine pistols and I'm a big fan of Sig, but you're not going to be blowing out the 10 ring with one at 25... I shudder to think of performance at 50.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum