Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Atterbury 2022

+14
SonOfAGun
John Dervis
DA/SA
SingleActionAndrew
hurt
james r chapman
Al
Rodger Barthlow
RoyDean
straybrit
SteveT
Wobbley
shanneba
Orpanaut
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Camp Atterbury 2022 - Page 2 Empty Camp Atterbury 2022

Post by Orpanaut Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

As a long time Perry shooter but a first time Atterbury shooter I thought I'd share some first impressions.

First of all, Camp Atterbury is much larger and more difficult to navigate than Camp Perry.  At Perry, you turn into the main gate, drive about half a mile in a straight line, and everything is right there within walking distance.  Camp Atterbury is not so pedestrian friendly and the NRA signage is much less prominent. 

Things Perry shooters have come to expect that aren't present (as far as I can tell) at Atterbury:
> The NRA store
> Commercial Row
> An air gun range
> A practice range
> Armorers' trailers
> On base dining options 
> Eagles and boaters in the impact area
> A cannon to fire before morning colors
> Mayflies
> Ankle deep water at the firing line
> A turning target system from the beginning of the previous century

Things that are less common at Atterbury:
> Wind
> Shade
> Competitors
> Mud

The range itself has a concrete floor and a metal roof, two big improvements over Perry.  Unfortunately, as others have noted, the range is designed so that the firing line is right at the forward edge of the covered area so competitors can rest in the shade but not shoot in it. 

Today's weather: Hot and humid.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterbury 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: Camp Atterbury 2022

Post by John Dervis Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:02 am

Orpanaut wrote:One of the major complaints about the NRA Nationals at Camp Perry was the cost of entry.  Has that changed any?  And how does the cost of registering to shoot the NRA's 2700 at Atterbury compare with the cost of registering to shoot the CMP's 2700 at Perry?
The cost of the NRA championship is higher than it used to be at Perry.  It cost $290 to enter Atterbury for the three days plus the prelim day. CMP at Perry was $150.00 but I only shot the three days and not their warm up/prelim day.  I don’t know what that extra day cost if anything.  So Atterbury was close to twice the cost vs Perry.  For me, housing, food, and fuel were all less in Indiana vs Ohio.  I stayed on base for $160 for four nights. The mess hall on base is about $10.00/meal and local restaurants are less expensive than the touristy area of Port Clinton.  As an added bonus, I filled up in town on my way out for $3.89 / gallon which was a dollar cheaper than home in Illinois.  

YMMV
John

John Dervis

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 pm

DA/SA wrote:Watching Jon Shue shoot timed fire was worth sitting through the rest of it!

Thanks!
 Yeah, jump right to 9:45
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 am

hurt wrote:Sadly, i was one of the Zero Score people! The COVID got me at the beginning of Perry… so left for home. I sent messages to both CMP and NRA. The CMP responded…… NRA, not so much!!!!

From my experinces w/ NRA they have lost touch w/ the average member. I volunteered to work at an International Muzzle Loader match at Perry in the 90's. It lasted several days and was right after the Pistol Champs. It was a trial run for a Champs match the following year. SNAFU defined the whole operation!  My friend, a ML shooter, had been asked to run the match and I volunteered because of an interest in shooting and our friendship. NRA treated us like we didn't exist and though being with shooters and our vols was a pleasant and interesting experience I was completely soured on the NRA.

Ron Habegger

Last edited by Colt711 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 8/16/22 Correct spelling & puncuation)

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50 am

Colt711 wrote:From my experinces w/ NRA they have lost touch w/ the average member.

It's not so much that they have lost touch - it's just that competitors are viewed as an irritating minority who aren't worth bothering with as we don't pour "lobbying" funds into the coffers. Funds that are then squandered on TV channels, expensive suits and other ego boosting bullshit for the upper echelons of the organization who are more interested in their internal turf wars than having anything to do with the peons that make up the membership.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm curious to know.  Are we just going to move on from the NRA and it's hate for competition and distain for gun owners and support the CMP and what they are doing at Camp Perry?

I was at the last full Camp Perry pistol championships in 2019 and the NRA was a miserable mess.  They left Perry like Joe Biden left Afghanistan, in the dead of night and in disarray.  They left some 3rd string loser to officiate their final award ceremony and they left about half the winners unacknowledged in their rush to get the final bags of cash on Wayne's desk before his next shopping trip.  Then they left the CMP in a lurch with no line support for their matches.  

I'm sure they have some scumbag excuse for crapping on their members, losers always do.  But they left me uninterested in ever dealing with them again.  The NRA is pretty much a fund for Lapierre and company to loot until it collapses at this point.

73 people at a match is nothing to write home about.  If they planned to fail, they have achieved that in spades.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:37 pm

I see the 22 EIC results are now posted.

CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Match Display (thecmp.org)

Points Awarded-

Competitor      Points Earned in this Event     Total Points Through this Match     Total Points Through Today

[th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th]
John Stanley Zurek (11568) 82828
SGT Howard H Hall ARNG (164779) 62424
1SG Charles J Harrold ARNG (284886) 666

Last edited by shanneba on Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 pm

They sent me my distinguished notification and medal (hard leg at Perry) last week. So yeah - they are on the ball and actually doing what they say. In that respect anyway. 
Though, to be honest, the NRA also achieve that. They say they'll take your money, use it to pump up their egos, and indeed they do just that. So you can't fault their honesty.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:17 am

The 2023 NRA National Pistol Matches are July 18-22.
https://competitions.nra.org/competitions/nra-national-matches/

The schedule at that link shows:
July 18 Packet Pick-Up & Un-Squadded Practice
July 19 Prelim (no awards) / Harry Reeves
July 20 .22 / .22 EIC
July 21 Center Fire / Dist. Revolv
July 22 .45 / Service Pistol EIC

Are July 18 and or 19 required to compete July 20-22?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:54 am

SingleActionAndrew wrote:The 2023 NRA National Pistol Matches are July 18-22.
https://competitions.nra.org/competitions/nra-national-matches/

The schedule at that link shows:
July 18 Packet Pick-Up & Un-Squadded Practice
July 19 Prelim (no awards) / Harry Reeves
July 20 .22 / .22 EIC
July 21 Center Fire / Dist. Revolv
July 22 .45 / Service Pistol EIC

Are July 18 and or 19 required to compete July 20-22?
No, I expect you could show up the morning of the 20th as long as the Admin office is open early enough. However, I would recommend arriving on the 19th if you can just to figure out where you need to go and how things work. It isn't like a local match. The office is a mile or two from the base entrance and the range is another mile or two drive from the office.

You want to shoot the Harry Reeves Revolver match, don't you?

I would recommend connecting with some shooters you know to make sure you get where you need to go and have what you need to have. I'll help you out if I go, but I am only 50-50 for Atterbury this year.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:05 am

Thanks Steve! Yes I want to arrive later in the day on the 19th if possible due to other constraints in July.

Are there provisional rules for Atterbury national matches or any ideas when registration/admin office closes?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:09 am

Further to SteveT's good advice.

In 2022 there was a serious mess caused by not properly informing everyone about the start times for each event/relay. Times published on the NRA website did not match times decided on the day. They was no printed program included in the "packet" at registration.

I was one of many who complained vociferously to Ted Carter about this poor administration during the event.

I actually shot my Harry Reeves match entirely alone at the previously published time on the first day! Scored by one of the referee's. And there was a range alibi! Everyone else had shot their revolver matches and gone home!

So, I second SteveT's advice about getting there the day before. Register, get the packet (hopefully with a program) and confirm the times for the following day. Drive out to the range (it is a long way from the NRA match office) and familiarize yourself with the layout of the Camp (it is BIG!).

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:10 pm

In 2022 the competitor meeting was after preliminary event.

Just an FYI for those planning to attend this year, the camp entrance has changed back to the original (reconstructed) Atterbury entrance at the Stop light on Hospital Road.

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:33 pm

shanneba wrote:
Just an FYI for those planning to attend this year, the camp entrance has changed back to the original (reconstructed) Atterbury entrance at the Stop light on Hospital Road.

Excellent!  That should make it a straight shot down to Bldg 109 (if they are at the same place this year) across from Range Control.

My biggest problem (as a visitor not a competitor) was re-routing when they closed the road by the airstrip temporarily; apparently very large military aircraft have the right of way... :-)

SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:52 pm

Thank you all for the insight! I've reserved a hotel room (Residence Inn in Columbus) nearby for July 19-22. This will be my first National in shooting sports.

What are the rules generally around civilian (US citizen) guests? I'm having a hard time finding more info on the NRA website. My wife and son would like to come down at least for a couple hours on one of the days.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:19 pm

There were a few spectators at the Pistol matches last year.

Here is a link to the 2022 program
GO22-04_2022_AtterburyNationalMatchesProgram_Changes_5-16.indd (nra.org)

Competitors shall be prepared to present photo identification each and every time entering the base. Failure to do so will prohibit entry onto Camp Atterbury.

I found three mentions of spectators:
Page 21
 Please try to combine competitors on the golf carts as much as possible to minimize the number of carts at a given time to allow for competitor equipment and spectators

Page 27
Spectators, family members, children – all persons not participating in matches, must go to the NRA Stat Office and sign the waivers

Page 47
All spectators must check in at the Stat Office.

shanneba

SingleActionAndrew and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:22 am

Yes, basically spectators need valid IDs and to check in at the office -- sign the waiver, get the downrange pass, and then make their way to the range. Photography at the range was no problem. The pass last year was good for multiple days (the waiver also covers the span) and there was no requirement (that I know of) for spectators to check in on subsequent days.
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

RoyDean and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWheelgunner45 Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info, I'd love to be a part next year.

OldWheelgunner45

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:22 am

SteveT wrote:You want to shoot the Harry Reeves Revolver match, don't you?.

OK OK I extended my stay to get there on Tuesday. Excited for my first National match and I want to he a part of all of it. My name is Andrew and I'll see you all there  Smile

But now I need a revolver. The Atterbury program only references NRA pistol 3.5, which doesn't seem correct since on the calendar they mention it's a revolver match. What are the equipment rules for the Harry Reeves memorial match? I should make sure it's DR compliant while I'm at it. SR too...
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2