Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Atterbury 2022

+11
SingleActionAndrew
hurt
james r chapman
Al
Rodger Barthlow
RoyDean
straybrit
SteveT
Wobbley
shanneba
Orpanaut
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Camp Atterbury 2022 - Page 2 Empty Camp Atterbury 2022

Post by Orpanaut 7/20/2022, 1:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

As a long time Perry shooter but a first time Atterbury shooter I thought I'd share some first impressions.

First of all, Camp Atterbury is much larger and more difficult to navigate than Camp Perry.  At Perry, you turn into the main gate, drive about half a mile in a straight line, and everything is right there within walking distance.  Camp Atterbury is not so pedestrian friendly and the NRA signage is much less prominent. 

Things Perry shooters have come to expect that aren't present (as far as I can tell) at Atterbury:
> The NRA store
> Commercial Row
> An air gun range
> A practice range
> Armorers' trailers
> On base dining options 
> Eagles and boaters in the impact area
> A cannon to fire before morning colors
> Mayflies
> Ankle deep water at the firing line
> A turning target system from the beginning of the previous century

Things that are less common at Atterbury:
> Wind
> Shade
> Competitors
> Mud

The range itself has a concrete floor and a metal roof, two big improvements over Perry.  Unfortunately, as others have noted, the range is designed so that the firing line is right at the forward edge of the covered area so competitors can rest in the shade but not shoot in it. 

Today's weather: Hot and humid.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterbury 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: Camp Atterbury 2022

Post by John Dervis 7/30/2022, 10:02 pm

Orpanaut wrote:One of the major complaints about the NRA Nationals at Camp Perry was the cost of entry.  Has that changed any?  And how does the cost of registering to shoot the NRA's 2700 at Atterbury compare with the cost of registering to shoot the CMP's 2700 at Perry?
The cost of the NRA championship is higher than it used to be at Perry.  It cost $290 to enter Atterbury for the three days plus the prelim day. CMP at Perry was $150.00 but I only shot the three days and not their warm up/prelim day.  I don’t know what that extra day cost if anything.  So Atterbury was close to twice the cost vs Perry.  For me, housing, food, and fuel were all less in Indiana vs Ohio.  I stayed on base for $160 for four nights. The mess hall on base is about $10.00/meal and local restaurants are less expensive than the touristy area of Port Clinton.  As an added bonus, I filled up in town on my way out for $3.89 / gallon which was a dollar cheaper than home in Illinois.  

YMMV
John

John Dervis

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun 8/1/2022, 6:40 pm

DA/SA wrote:Watching Jon Shue shoot timed fire was worth sitting through the rest of it!

Thanks!
 Yeah, jump right to 9:45
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Yesterday at 1:28 am

hurt wrote:Sadly, i was one of the Zero Score people! The COVID got me at the beginning of Perry… so left for home. I sent messages to both CMP and NRA. The CMP responded…… NRA, not so much!!!!

From my experinces w/ NRA they have lost touch w/ the average member. I volunteered to work at an International Muzzle Loader match at Perry in the 90's. It lasred several days and was right after the Pistol Champs. It was a trial run for a Champs match the following year. SNAFU defined the whole operation!  My friend, a ML shooter had been asked to run the match and I volunteered because of an interest in shooting and our friendship. NRA treated us like we didn't existand though being withe shooters and our vols was a pleasant and interesting experience I was completely soured on the NRA.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Yesterday at 8:50 am

Colt711 wrote:From my experinces w/ NRA they have lost touch w/ the average member.

It's not so much that they have lost touch - it's just that competitors are viewed as an irritating minority who aren't worth bothering with as we don't pour "lobbying" funds into the coffers. Funds that are then squandered on TV channels, expensive suits and other ego boosting bullshit for the upper echelons of the organization who are more interested in their internal turf wars than having anything to do with the peons that make up the membership.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2