Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grip safety problem

+6
jglenn21
Tripscape
Froneck
STEVE SAMELAK
BE Mike
L. Boscoe
10 posters

Go down

grip safety problem Empty grip safety problem

Post by L. Boscoe 8/26/2022, 9:09 am

When I first got back into BE shooting, I was running a CZ 97, later a Tangfoglio both in 45acp. No problems, like the fat grips.
I then got a nice 1911, found the grip safety was something I had to really concentrate on, or no firing. Then got a Pachymar grip, the one with the rubber finger grooves and wood panels, and that helped, but still some difficulty getting the damn grip  safety to engage.
If I am only shooting at a range, is it stupid to tape down the grip safety? Maybe build it up a bit to engage sooner?
Ideas most welcome.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

grip safety problem Empty Re: grip safety problem

Post by BE Mike 8/26/2022, 9:30 am

L. Boscoe wrote:When I first got back into BE shooting, I was running a CZ 97, later a Tangfoglio both in 45acp. No problems, like the fat grips.
I then got a nice 1911, found the grip safety was something I had to really concentrate on, or no firing. Then got a Pachymar grip, the one with the rubber finger grooves and wood panels, and that helped, but still some difficulty getting the damn grip  safety to engage.
If I am only shooting at a range, is it stupid to tape down the grip safety? Maybe build it up a bit to engage sooner?
Ideas most welcome.
If you aren't concerned about appearance, you can clean and degrease the grip safety, buy a tube of epoxy putty and put a lump of it on the grip safety. After the epoxy putty is cured, you can sand and shape it. It will surprisingly stay in place forever.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 8/26/2022, 9:36 am

There are grip safeties with a built up area to increase engagement, or you can glue on a rubber pad
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 8/26/2022, 10:57 am

Quite a few years ago I asked the top officials at Camp Perry if a one piece mains spring housing  so there is no grips safety could be used at Camp Perry matches or any NRA match. I was told that being the gun was not a typical out of the box 1911 a grip safety was not required. I have been using one piece units ever since for at least 15 years. They also said that if the grip safety is not one piece it can't be prevented from working. Unfortunately I don't know anyone making it anymore. Adam has contacted (forgot the name) a guy making them, still does but will only put it is 1911s he makes. Individual units are not for sale.
I have a few 1911s I'm building and making a jig to have the grip safety and main spring housing welded together to form one unit.
 As to you tape the grip safety when no one is at the range would be up-to the gun club range use rules because you are defeating the function of an existing safety. Granted the only person you could hurt if there is no other there is you then you become the liability.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 8/26/2022, 2:33 pm

Froneck wrote:Quite a few years ago I asked the top officials at Camp Perry if a one piece mains spring housing  so there is no grips safety could be used at Camp Perry matches or any NRA match. I was told that being the gun was not a typical out of the box 1911 a grip safety was not required. I have been using one piece units ever since for at least 15 years. They also said that if the grip safety is not one piece it can't be prevented from working. Unfortunately I don't know anyone making it anymore. Adam has contacted (forgot the name) a guy making them, still does but will only put it is 1911s he makes. Individual units are not for sale.
I have a few 1911s I'm building and making a jig to have the grip safety and main spring housing welded together to form one unit.
 As to you tape the grip safety when no one is at the range would be up-to the gun club range use rules because you are defeating the function of an existing safety. Granted the only person you could hurt if there is no other there is you then you become the liability.
The taping idea was not serious, as I would not personally want a gun like that lying around.
I thing the epoxy idea sounds good, or my local gunsmith who is a master armorer, makes and sells high dollar 1911's, can
help out with the project.  I went to the range today and managed ok, actually shot the 45 better than the 22.

L. Boscoe

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 8/26/2022, 2:58 pm

Ok, called Les Baer and he said skateboard tape on the pad at the bottom of the
safety lever.  That will be the plan.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/26/2022, 8:12 pm

Don't do that. Add a piece of plastic or cut buffer to the mainspring housing top and it will.keep grip safety activated. Clean and easy, no mods.
grip safety problem Screen10

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/26/2022, 8:13 pm

I swear it works beautifully!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/26/2022, 8:20 pm

Aaaand when you don't want to f.ck with your gun's internals or need a working grip safety --> just trim a piece of furniture legs pad and stick it on. It gets glued pretty good. Completely removable. 

grip safety problem 20220810

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/28/2022, 6:20 am

Probably should get CMP's opinion if you go with amy mods to the safety as far as its function.
jglenn21
jglenn21

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 8/28/2022, 8:56 am

Sounds like a call for a speed bump grip safety
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by gjoyce3 8/28/2022, 10:15 am

And now for something completely different:  I have more problems with a speed bump beavertail than with a standard GI grip safety.  I can often feel the arm running over the trigger bow (?) on the beavertail.  Zero issues with the standard safety.

gjoyce3

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 8/29/2022, 12:26 pm

skateboard tape works.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 8/29/2022, 5:52 pm

gjoyce3 wrote:And now for something completely different:  I have more problems with a speed bump beavertail than with a standard GI grip safety.  I can often feel the arm running over the trigger bow (?) on the beavertail.  Zero issues with the standard safety.
Sounds like you need to make a little more clearance between the safety arm and the trigger
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/29/2022, 6:04 pm

Your grip safeties are setup too tight/close. The safety tab/arm is not relieved enough and is requiring near perfect gripping to function. If properly relieved/clearanced you should have no problems with function. Very simple fix with a file and stone afterwards.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

kc.crawford.7 and bmize1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down