Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger mkIII selection help please.

+6
james r chapman
Bullseye10X
Rob Kovach
WVBE Shooter
Jack H
MongooseDog
10 posters

Go down

Ruger mkIII selection help please. Empty Ruger mkIII selection help please.

Post by MongooseDog Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I am getting my girlfriend a bullseye pistol. We have settled on a Ruger mkIII due to price and parts availability.  I will be getting an ultra match II to go on it. 

The thing is there are a billion versions of the Ruger. What should i go with? Hunter, Target, Competition?  If she likes shooting which I am certain she will then volquartsen trigger is in order. Do I go cheaper if I am going to update?

What would you guys go with for a beginner bullseye gun?

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Ruger mkIII selection help please. Empty Re: Ruger mkIII selection help please.

Post by Jack H Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:48 pm

this one
 http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIITarget/specSheets/10101.html

if weight is a concern the similar 22/45 version
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Target/specSheets/10107.html

Try each grip stye if possible
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Grip is why we are going with the normal mkiii. 

I assume all that is different is the barrel between all the rugers.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

The mkiii target would be my choice.  The competition is heavy.  I would also consider the ultradot 1" for weight purposes as well.

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Can the target shoot as well as the comp? She can shoot really well and did't want to limit her. If the target is as good and a bit lighter it sounds like the way to go.

Does it come with a rail? I hope so. With the extra savings she really wants the laminated pink volquatsen grips.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Even the short barreled hunter model shoots great and is plenty accurate.

I think all mkIIIs include a scope rail.

I agree that the Matchdot is more weight and cost than I ever used.  I don't like the 30mm window...I see more distractions...and I always set it for the same size dot as the 1" ultradot.

I prefer the grip angle of the MkIII 22/45 over the standard grip angle MKIII.  The standard grip angle is at a really weak spot in my wrist...it costs me about 20 points.  The volquartsen laminated grip angle is even worse for me.

I like no frills slab grips on my guns.  If pink is something you want, check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-acp-PINK-PUNISHER-GIRL-nylon-Grips-standard-1911-G-I-type-KIMBER-COLT-/321199392604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac8f9c75c
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I showed them to her. She said they were to much. They are pretty ridiculous. We are going to go rent some guns this weekend for her to try. The volquartsen grips are on one there. Looking like the target model will do her good and with the money saved on that and the scope I am super happy.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 am

If weight is an issue, check out the 22/45 LITE.  Weighs 11 ounces less than its all steel counterpart.  I love the gun, and stock, I can shoot groups 1-1/2" consistently at 25 yards (bench rest) with it.  

If you get a Ruger Mark III, definitely get the Volquartsen target trigger and sear.  Made a world of difference in mine.  Don't bother with the target hammer.  It's lighter, but some guys claim they are getting weak primer strikes (no bang) with it.  It really doesn't add anything accuracy wise, from what I read.  

I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 ($99) on mine and the Hogue wrap-around grips with the finger grooves.

Bullseye10X

http://bullseyepistol.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Ok, so we have a few samples of Rugers set up to try some more for this weekend. Should be a good time. Right now we are thinking MKIII Target with the Ultradot. The money saved on that allows enough for the trigger and seer bits.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I've found another forum specific to the Ruger MK's ,

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/

Probably the best information about the gut's of those guns...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I would get a used Mk II rather than a Mk III if it were an option but not many Mk IIs show up around here for sale. We use Mk III 22/45's for our Youth and WOT programs and have a lot of issues with mags not seating fully or ejecting well, the magazine disconnect was perhaps the 'major improvement' with the Mk IIIs.  It can be just a hair (literally) from being fully in place but won't feed a round which is disheartening when you watch how hard some of the kid's are trying and then the gun goes click rather than bang. We get quite a few misfires as well, we use whatever cheap ammo is available so that is part of the problem but many of the 'reject' cartridges will fire in my Mk II. I know that the mag disconnect can be 'undone' as I turned a friend's Mk III Hunter into a Mk II1/2 a while ago and that works very well now. Some people (like our club) are not about to remove any (so called) 'safety devices', particularly on firearms destined for inexperienced shooters, perhaps why used Mk IIs are so uncommon.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 am

MKIIs can be found but my dealer is giving me a super deal on a new MKIII and I like warranties and knowing what my gun has been through. I clean my guns more than they need it. Not sure a used one has been super taken care of. Going to fix the mag problem. Can't really fix the LCI but cleaning often should make that a non-issue. 

She is getting quite excited at this point. To bad this is her Christmas present. Razz

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 am

I am pretty sure that there is a 'drop-in' replacement piece for the LCI. I do find the LCI useful on occasion, but only as a coach who has to sort through the many 'failure to chamber' issues. As a shooter, I have been 'press checking' so long that I don't even think about it. The Mag disconnect is easy to cure. You already mentioned the Volquartsen trigger, If you get the 'whole kit' for a Mk II you will have the correct hammer and bushing to solve that problem.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:29 pm

MongooseDog, you have the right idea. Let her try them. Men picking out guns for women doesn't usually work. Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 am

Well we hit the range this weekend and she loved the 5.5" target. Well that settles that. Now to put down my down payment on the thing.

On a side not the overpriced pawn shop had a benelli MP 95E but they wanted a $1000 for it.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:37 pm

That settles that for sure. If the lady ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Yiogo wrote:That settles that for sure. If the lady ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Yiogo
After 28 years of marriage....

+1

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 am

Got her a small yet mean surprise today. Wal-Mart had some CCI SV in stock for the first time in forever. I bought her a bunch for practice ammo. To bad she doesn't have the gun yet.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Yiogo wrote:That settles that for sure. If the lady ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Yiogo
Five words for a happy marriage...

I
Have
No 
Opinion 
Dear

Bullseye10X

http://bullseyepistol.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:30 am

Well, I lost an auction on a ss target with all kinds of mods. There is a hunter for sale near me for $400 that i am going to go look at. Found out it is a smidge lighter than the target. What do you all think about the hunter as a bullseye gun?

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 am

MongooseDog wrote:Well, I lost an auction on a ss target with all kinds of mods. There is a hunter for sale near me for $400 that i am going to go look at. Found out it is a smidge lighter than the target. What do you all think about the hunter as a bullseye gun?
My friend bought one a few months back after trying (and not being able to find another) my competition target. The front dot was quick to pick up but figuring out a consistent alignment with the "V" rear sight didn't work for either of us. When they are available (took a couple of months to get his) it is a simple swap to change to the 'real' target sights but you should figure on the extra $35 or so that it will cost to get them when pricing the Hunter.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:47 am

We will be getting an ultradot to go on top so bit more than 35 :p

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Bullseye10X wrote:If weight is an issue, check out the 22/45 LITE.  

I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 ($99) on mine and the Hogue wrap-around grips with the finger grooves.
I just bought the sight you mention for $81+ chg on Amazon. Really helps when weight is a factor.

Ron

Last edited by Colt711 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by MongooseDog Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:56 am

Finally have a Mark III on order for the GF. Ended up with the 5.5" Target blued. $359 after shipping is not bad.

MongooseDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down