Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition

5 posters

Go down

Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition Empty Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition

Post by rich.tullo 9/10/2022, 6:30 am

Recently I decided to treat myself to a second Xesse and I was excited to see the SF introduced. Red Feather had them and bought one. I had some issues with the gun. In hindsight I think I adjusted the trigger with not enough pre travel, but there was a couple of things I wanted checked so I sent it back to Walther. 

Walther told me slide catch needed to be replaced but they did not have the parts, they also told me if they would get me a new one from Germany before the parts arrived they would send me a new one. I really did not want a new one, the trigger was ok on the XESSE SF but not as good as my Larry's Special but the barrel was exceptional. A week turned into a month , a month turned into 3 moths and sill no gun. A week ago I call, and they had a new gun for me. 

Now for the review

This is a revised edition of the SF, The slide is black and coated in Tenifer, which is like a black nitride that Walther uses on its PPQ. I looked over the gun at the gun store and after a week wait in NJ, I picked up the gun and went to the range. My initial impression of the gun is everything is improved. 

The slide fit is smother and better mated than the first SF. The sights are nicer and appear to be the same ones they use on the PPQ SF Miester series. I usually do not shoot a gun without cleaning it but I was anxious. I went to the range and shot the gun. 

It was better than the first one but there were a couple of hiccups and the trigger felt real light. I took it home and field stripped it. I discovered a coating of cosmoline on the slide and maybe in the barrel. So I detail cleaned it. 

A check of the trigger revealed it was under #2 from the factory I took out my special screwdriver, and adjusted the trigger.  

Back to the range. While Walther sent me the Blue Wood Grips which are really nice I replaced them with Rinks which are fitted to my hand. The gun shot really well, 100 rounds of CCI and 50 rounds of CCI without a failure. The trigger is every bit as good as the Larry's trigger. 

Another bonus, this one came with the 11MM dove tail , so I mounted my AA micro dot which has the Aimpoint Dove tail mount. While on the first gun the mount shifted a little and needed some locktite to maintain zero , this one so far is A OK. 

Overall, I am impressed with this latest iteration of the Xesee. .
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition Empty Re: Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition

Post by toddcfii 9/10/2022, 7:43 am

Pics would be great!
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition Empty Re: Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition

Post by rich.tullo 9/10/2022, 2:31 pm

I plan on doing a video tomorrow posted on the page
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 9/11/2022, 8:47 pm

Video?

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 9/14/2022, 8:45 am

Still working on the Video will post on the list FB Page .
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition Empty Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition

Post by Logan186 9/14/2022, 9:46 am

Could you please post it here also.  Do not have a Fbook account and do not plan on having one.

Thanks.

Logan186

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 9/14/2022, 4:15 pm

Logan186 wrote:Could you please post it here also.  Do not have a Fbook account and do not plan on having one.

Thanks.
Let me see if I can figure out how to post pics here.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/6/2023, 9:27 am

Ok Here is a little follow up after about 1500 rounds. The SF is exceptionally accurate, I do not know if this is the case with all the New Xesse or if I just won the luck of the draw. If I do my job , the gun shoots in the 90s SF and is clean capable with Aguilla super extra. 

I bought the base model and owing to a little hiccup with my older Xesse, Walther replaced the slide and sent me a set of the new Blue Ergo Grips because I had to wait many months to get my gun back.  The Blue grips are excellent but not for me so they are for sale, I landed on the Rink Ambi grips which are like the old timey M41 Herrets Ambi grips and work great for me on the gun. 

I discovered 2 little modifications and one issue which hen addressed makes the gun world class IMHO. 

1) The Factory Firing pin after about 1000 rounds and 1000 dry firings broke/mushroomed, (I always use either the Hammerli Plug or Dry Wall Screws to protect the breach.  I think it is a metallurgy problem. I replaced, firing pin with one from Red Feather, it is black as compared to polished metal from the factory, I am not sure if was redesigned by Larry or just better than new stock. The primer hits are now proud and square, even with a dirty chamber. 

2) I was getting occasional short cycle even after the pin change and after about 700 rounds, I noticed a light witness mark on the slide next to the firing pin tunnel. A drop of oil on the ejector helped buy did not solve the problem. I carefully, which a medium stone prepped the face of the ejector , taking maybe a 1000th or two off the face where there was friction. The action feels much smother and cycles noticeably faster.   I also think the improvement also enhanced the accuracy. 

3) My pistol did not come with the 2 stage trigger plunger. As a result, under 2.8 LBS the trigger felt a little inconsistent with the 2nd stage wall barely noticeable.  At around #3 the trigger was consistent which is not a deal killer for me but I prefer a lighter trigger to match my other gun which has a Larry's trigger with the sear mod. I searched heaven and earth to find the 208 style trigger plunger. Red Feather was out of stock. I waited about 3 months, but it finally came in a couple of days ago. It was easy to install and screw in screw out affair, and viola', #2.4 every time with a nice second stage with a very short roll. 

Conclusion: 

In combination these 3 modifications, made the gun utterly reliable. I like to shoot 22lr 2700's and I like the balance of the new SF because I do not like the Larry's scope mount as much as just using the 11mm dove tail the new SF is perfect for what I need. 

After testing on the range I will post pictures.
Attachments
Hammerli Xesse Steel Frame 2023 Edition Attachment
SF 1 .jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(39 Kb) Downloaded 8 times
NMC 1.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(39 Kb) Downloaded 11 times
RF .jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(49 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Trigger 1 .jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(25 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Ejector .jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(24 Kb) Downloaded 7 times

Last edited by rich.tullo on 1/6/2023, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/6/2023, 1:45 pm

rich.tullo wrote:2) I was getting occasional short cycle even after the pin change and after about 700 rounds, I noticed a light witness mark on the slide next to the firing pin tunnel. A drop of oil on the ejector helped buy did not solve the problem. I carefully, which a medium stone prepped the face of the ejector , taking maybe a 1000th or two off the face where there was friction. The action feels much smother and cycles noticeably faster.   I also think the improvement also enhanced the accuracy.

So, you stoned the inside edge of the ejector, where it makes that little "L" at the back? And, I assume this is the new-style ejector which is staked-in, or is it part of the frame like the earlier models?

What ammo are you using btw?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/6/2023, 2:43 pm

Aquilla Extra SV

Yes that is exactly what It did. Staked-in Kind (Maybe ten Passes with a Medium Stone, that is it). I would not have thought about but I cleaned the gun I noticed the witness mark on the firing pin tunnel. I first put a drop of oil on the ejector and the action felt better and I was like Dam , that is the problem with the short cycling. I am going to write Walther a Letter. 

The gun hates the new Norma Tac all others are A'OK.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/6/2023, 3:01 pm

My earlier model has no visible contact there, but it was worth checking thanks!

I have occasional "soft" cycles shooting SK Pistol Match. It's more crisp with CCI std velocity. Shoots everything reliably so I haven't bothered to go deeper.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down