Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of

+2
Pinetree
bruce martindale
6 posters

Go down

Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of Empty Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of

Post by bruce martindale 9/23/2022, 10:13 am

Precision Pistol Shooting. By Bruce Martindale 

Review by Richard Evans

Bruce Martindale has written a book (~100 pages) on pistol shooting that provides new insights about acknowledged information concerning pistol shooting technique as well as new insights on previously ignored technique questions. He also provides a lot of info on how to succeed in competition and it isn’t all shooting.

Bruce admits that he was once a total failure at the sport of pistol shooting.  He is now a Master class Bullseye competitor and often finished top 10 in the Olympic Trials and International championships. This admission immediately tells the reader that pistol technique can be acquired and that it is not attainable by only a select few of naturally talented people.  You can read Gil Hebard’s well regarded A Pistol Shooter’s Treasury, and if you can decipher what these master shooters are saying, you can prosper.  But, if you are like me, a beginner, and you attempt to follow the advice of Bill Blankenship or Harry Reeves you will likely be sorely disappointed in your results.  

One of the many new concepts Bruce presents in his book is to distinguish “walking” from “running” as they apply to pistol shooting.  Reading Bill Blankenship is not only reading an account of shooting technique by one of the greatest precision pistol (bullseye) competitors, it is reading an account of high speed running.  This material was unintelligible to me even though I tried to apply his ideas for ten years.

Bruce provides the necessary information about the biomechanics of shooting regarding the details of stance, grip, triggering, etc in a way which is intelligible to anyone.  He presents his 6-step shot process with details on each step particularly on grip, trigger, and what most shooters need to focus on to succeed. Brian Zins perhaps the only shooter who has excelled more than Blankenship in bullseye shooting, loves to tell shooters in his clinics that all you have to do “is pick up the gun, shoot, and put it down.” He does this to accomplish two goals – one, is to show you what a true master shooter can do, and two to tell you, the learner what you cannot do. 

A good example of what Bruce does can be found in his discussion of “pointing and pulling”. The idea that pointing and pulling must occur simultaneously as opposed to serially can be found in many discussions of pistol shooting.  
Referring to Brian Zins again, he is great at emphasizing this notion and demonstrates on some NRA videos why these must occur simultaneously. Bruce reverses the process and focusses on the trigger pull with “good enough” sights and goes one step further and explains that trying to get a perfect hold on the target  or even trying to get the 10 you see is a loser every time with the occasional exception that can be attributed to the law of averages.

He also provides mental techniques, training tips, equipment and ammo comments and simplifies what you need to do to succeed at and enjoy this sport at any level 

Perhaps this book should be considered A Pistol Shooter’s Treasury revisited” With the greatest takeaways of learning to walk, and how to really point and pull

bruce martindale

Dockokol, Pinetree and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of Empty Re: Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of

Post by Pinetree 9/23/2022, 11:29 am

Where do we find this book?

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of Empty Re: Book review Feeling Center The Art and Science of

Post by Oleg G 9/23/2022, 11:48 am

I am about 25% into the book and will gladly second this endorsement.

Anyone who wants to get the book should reach out to Bruce directly. He is a member of the forum and, I am sure, will be glad to respond to Private Messages about the book.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/23/2022, 1:36 pm

FYI, it's an eBook, a PDF that you can open in multiple formats including iBooks. It's only $10. Right now I'm emailing copies with PayPal donations. Reach me at. Kingsarcher2 at yahoo dot com.
I am working on a possible page header here as well as distribution through another major board member here. 

There's a good number of copies out there from my soft release and I'm getting good feedback and results. One relatively new shooter just put up a 97 SF at the Long Line. That's a big pop.

It took me a year to write this book and it's based on a class that I also developed integrating 5 disciplines of International as well as Conventional . With the price of ammo and gas, how can you lose?

Thanks

bruce martindale

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/23/2022, 5:29 pm

Thanks all. Please remember PayPal isn't your friend.

When using it, please give me your email address and nothing more than "Book"

Enjoy!

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 9/23/2022, 7:29 pm

"Book" sent! Thank you for taking the time to share
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/23/2022, 7:53 pm

Be sure to include your email please.

Andrew Z need info 

Thanks

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 9/23/2022, 8:17 pm

I believe, I was the first one hinting of the existence of Bruce's book in this post - https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20075-flat-vs-arched-msh-and-perception-of-how-the-dot-responds-in-dry-fire  I was a lucky one being in the group of shooters who Bruce approached asking to review Revision 1, then 1A and provide him with comments and suggestions. 
The only comments I could offer were corrections of spelling of my last name where Bruce mentioned my products in the book.  Otherwise, I found answers to several of my questions, especially regarding wrist locking, grip and stance.  Bruce's TOTO concept I mentioned in the above post was an eye opening for me!  There is a lot of valuable information in the book.  And very importantly, this information is delivered in very simple terms and easy understandable form often complemented with graphs and drawings.  I also want to point out, that thanks to Bruce I have better understanding and appreciation of Jon Eulette's posts on fundamentals of precision shooting. 

I'm very happy to see Bruce now making book available to wider audience.  Highly recommend it!

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape

bruce martindale, Pinetree and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/24/2022, 3:59 pm

I'm still in the early part of the book, but I looked ahead a few times.  It's a very encouraging book, and while I don't expect it to make me any kind of expert, the book explains things in a way that anyone (even me) can understand.

I started to read it while I was overseas; now that I'm back, I just need to figure out the "PayPal" stuff.

The Pistol Shooter's Treasury is written very differently.  It had what seemed like a lot of valuable information, but as I was reading it the first time, I didn't know enough to really understand.  Bruce has a way of explaining things that the start to sound logical, easy to figure out what he is suggesting.  

Bruce, thank you for taking the time to do this!
mikemyers
mikemyers

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down