Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing white paint from front sight

+3
Tripscape
bruce martindale
DireWolf53
7 posters

Go down

Removing white paint from front sight Empty Removing white paint from front sight

Post by DireWolf53 10/6/2022, 4:10 pm

I have a S&W model 41 and the original owner painted a full width white stripe on the front sight. I'd like to remove it and was wondering what
would strip the paint without damaging the underlying finish?
Thanks for any advice you may pass my way.

Paul

Last edited by DireWolf53 on 10/6/2022, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

DireWolf53

Back to top Go down

Removing white paint from front sight Empty Re: Removing white paint from front sight

Post by bruce martindale 10/6/2022, 4:49 pm

Ytry Goof Off, it's Alipherated mineral spirits, do it outdoors, very bad smell

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

itshooter and DireWolf53 like this post

Back to top Go down

Removing white paint from front sight Empty Re: Removing white paint from front sight

Post by Tripscape 10/6/2022, 5:00 pm

If no luck with above you can use acetone on a qtip. Acetone does not (should not, I have personally tried on mine) hurt blued finish, but will strip it of oils. Just lightly oil afterward and you will be OK. Acetone is also great when prepping parts for cold blue. 
Acetone will damage melonite treatment, wood finishes and plastics. However, probably hands down best and easiest way to remove paint from anything.

Tripscape

DireWolf53 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 10/7/2022, 12:47 pm

Paint or smoke over it?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by 301bruce 10/7/2022, 2:52 pm

I put glow paint around the sight notch of a Sig red dot and was able to remove it later without scratching the finish by gently scraping with the edge of an exacto blade held perpendicular to the surface. Success probably depends on the surface and type of paint.

301bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/7/2022, 9:02 pm

Just about any solvent - if you take a capful and stand the front of the pistol in it and let it soak for 24 hours.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 10/7/2022, 9:39 pm

Dont know if it will cut your paint.  But lacquer thinner cleans blue parts with out affecting the blue.  Need to oil later.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down