Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.

+9
Kimber45
chiz1180
824tsv
troystaten
L. Boscoe
Mike M.
weber1b
james r chapman
NDAR15MAN
13 posters

Go down

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  Empty Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.

Post by NDAR15MAN Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:46 am

New member here. Just getting started in 
Bullseye match shooting. Question about pistol match boxes that hold 3-5 pistols , spotting scope, couple drawers to hold suppliey , etc. Are these pistol boxes made to hold your pistols in the box in transit to the range and then carried right to the shooting bench ? Just wanted to make sure pistols would be secure in their holders while carrying the box. Thanks. Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  Empty Re: Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.

Post by james r chapman Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:12 am

Yes, if you can find them. 4 and 5 gun boxes are very heavy.
Many use Pelican type boxes to carry guns and a bag for scope and ammo
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  Empty Re: Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.

Post by NDAR15MAN Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:50 pm

Ok thanks for the info. I was afraid pistols would fall out of their holders while carrying the box. Thanks for the good info. Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:52 pm

The holders often have a screw driven "tightener" to help secure the pistols. So long as you don't turn over your car on the way to the range or the gun box on the way to the line, they do a fine job.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by NDAR15MAN Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm

Ok. That is great info to know. Thanks everyone for your help. Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:00 pm

The NRA-type boxes are fine for transporting the guns by car.  If you expect to travel by air, or otherwise subject the box to rough handling or turn it upside down, I recommend a Pelican-type hard case.  My own hard-case, for International Muzzle-Loading, was made by ICC...it's a custom two-layer wheeled case.  Four guns in the top half, scope and loading gear in the bottom.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  Empty Bullseye type boxes

Post by L. Boscoe Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:19 pm

I had the bad habit of leaving the box in the car.  After many months, the vibration and weight of the pistols
broke one or two of the holders.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:58 pm

I use a "Strong Case" brand of bullseye pistol box and it came with padded pistol racks.  Even though I just use it to go to the range and not air travel I removed the pistol racks and put the pistols in rugs, just a little more comfortable for me.  If you can find a used Strong case they are great boxes.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by 824tsv Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:02 am

If you intend on mounting a optic you may find that the pistol wont fit on the tray. Smaller reflex optics may be a very tight fit, anything bigger probably wont fit inside the box.
824tsv
824tsv

Back to top Go down

Post by NDAR15MAN Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:54 am

That’s good to know that boxes might not hold pistols with scopes.
Most of my pistols do. Looks like if I buy a box will need to bring my pistols to see if they will fit. Thanks for real good info Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:30 am

One my pistol box pistols with scopes clear with no problem.  As they say your results may vary.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:45 am

Not being able to carry pistols in the box may not necessarily be a deal breaker. I typically do not as I keep my pistols in a backpack (or other bag) in pistol rugs. For me the primary purpose of the box is to hold the scope and any tools or shooting accessories. I can fit scoped pistols in my main box but the I typically only do at Perry or other ranges where you need to move your stuff (e.g. ranges with separate 50 and 25 lines). I like keeping my pistols in a backpack or other non descript bag as it doesn't stand out when checking into hotels, no one questions a backpack, but a case with a bunch of stickers peaks curiosity.

All that said, what works for me may not be relevant to your needs.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimber45 Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:00 am

Www.bullseyeboxes.com

Kimber45

troystaten and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NDAR15MAN Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:14 am

What do you guys think of these 2 or 3 stack tool boxes they sale at Home Depot, Lowell’s and Menard stores ? The bottom toolbox is deep enough to hold 3 or 4 pistols and ammo. Box that sets on top of that bottom box you could use it to hold shooting supplies like staple guns , staples ,targets , spotting scope , tools etc you might need. Most of these tool boxes you can even buy a 3rd box that sets on the very top. They have plastic tires and not sure how they wound roll on a gravel parking lot but it is easy to change tires to a air filled rubber tire. I don’t see this type of set up at bullseye matches so I am Thinking it would not be a good choice so wondering what would be downfall of these 2 and 3 tier tool boxes ?
You can buy some nice ones for $100.00. Your thoughts. Thanks. Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:34 am

NDAR15MAN wrote:Thinking it would not be a good choice so wondering what would be downfall of these 2 and 3 tier tool boxes ?
You can buy some nice ones for $100.00. Your thoughts.
How well or poorly made are the cases?  If they are built like a Pelican case, I think they would work well.  A cheaply made case should be avoided.

Post #2 in this thread mentions using a Pelican type case as a gun box.  Have seen variations of these cases, some can be made into very effective gun boxes.

Will see if I can post photos of some of the unique cases I have seen.

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:50 am

Asa Yam wrote:
NDAR15MAN wrote:Thinking it would not be a good choice so wondering what would be downfall of these 2 and 3 tier tool boxes ?
You can buy some nice ones for $100.00. Your thoughts.
How well or poorly made are the cases?  If they are built like a Pelican case, I think they would work well.  A cheaply made case should be avoided.

Post #2 in this thread mentions using a Pelican type case as a gun box.  Have seen variations of these cases, some can be made into very effective gun boxes.

Will see if I can post photos of some of the unique cases I have seen.
Here's my version.  Pelican Storm iM2500 with retractable handle and wheels. Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  20220322
Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  20220323 Added a hold-open hinge from Lowes and a scope mount that I put a digital camcorder on.
I used a piece of 1/4" plywood for the liftout tray.  I have it setup for my air pistol right now, since I have a Pachmayr box for my bullseye guns.  Changing it to a travel case for bullseye is a simple matter of cutting different foam.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by NDAR15MAN Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:37 am

Man nice pelican case. Thanks for posting pictures. That looks like the way to go if a person was not going to buy a regular bullseye case.
Thanks for the ideas. Marty

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:17 am

Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  8087f710
Question Bullseye type pistol boxes.  Ca4b4f10
This is a Pelican case I use for travel.  I got it from Gunfiam.com.  I just travel with a “Range bag” for my other stuff.  All of it fits in a large checked bag.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wbnash3 Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:36 pm

I am looking for a good range box and the answers here have given me some good ideas.  Thanks!
wbnash3
wbnash3

http://walternashlaw.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down