Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes

+5
willnewton
AnthonyJ
AndyLueck
Allen Barnett
smdial
9 posters

Go down

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Empty Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes

Post by smdial Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:41 pm

I've spent some time this week getting what I believe is a rock solid TTS working at RangeUSA.  You can read about the turning target system here.  

I have a 1/4" plate of aluminum that is 8 3/4" wide by roughly 3" tall.  You can use anything for this, plexiglass, hard plastics, etc.  Drill two elliptical holes in it 5/16's tall x just over a half wide.  It's not real critical, as the holders at Range USA have 2 screws that grip their cardboard inside the lane target trolly that is 2" apart.  This gives you some wiggle room.  The wood behind the metal plate is 4.5" tall.  You could just use 6" x 14" piece of metal, plexiglass, plastic, or wood.  Just don't go thicker than 3/8" for it work inside the clamps.THat's why I'm using the 1/4" plate and it works perfectly.  It's VERY snug inside with no chance of falling.

I know it looks crowded on the right, but since I'm using a dewalt battery and a dewalt dock to power it, the weight balance worked out like you see in the photos.

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1311
Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1312

I mounted the TTS circuit board DIY or you can buy it from me here assembled just like below:
Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1313

The rest of the TTS you need some more components.  I can build it and sell it to you per above, or you can simply buy it from amazon using this list;

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1314

The back of the target holder is as follows:
Foamboard from a local craft store.  8mm down rod held on by the coupler on the Amazon Wish list, and a cross bar (dowel rod) drilled through and zip tied.  The amazon list has a flange and a 8mm rod that would arguably work better. 

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1315

I've tested and tested, and this seems to be the best setup I've done for RangeUSA lanes.  Good luck, and happy shooting.

smdial

http://indy1800.org

Back to top Go down

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Empty Re: Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes

Post by Allen Barnett Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:29 pm

Okay I will bite:  What is the cost for a plug-n-play system delivered?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Empty Re: Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes

Post by smdial Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:45 pm

Basic circuit board is $100.  S&H free.  Cheapest option.  

Circuit board, motor, motor mount, stepper motor driver, dewalt battery dock and it all pre-wired $170 will get you the rest.  $7.00 s&h.

I don't ship the batteries (or power) or the wood / metal backing...too much of a pain.  So it's always going to have some DIY components to it.  But the assembly is quick and painless after a brief trip to lowes.  

either of these batteries will work: TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 3000mAh Lithium ion Battery Pack for LED Strip, CCTV Camera and More, DC 12V/5V USB Dual Output External Battery Power Bank with Charger, Black

TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh/5V 12000mAh DC Output Lithium ion Battery Pack for LED Strip and CCTV Camera, Portable Li-ion Power Bank with Charger, Black 

Or you can get the battery & charger from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/NUFYEFFD0N16?ref_=wl_share

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:01 pm

Is it compatible with the Bullseye Match App?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:02 pm

Yes, bullseye match is a requirement.  See: https://github.com/100-5x/Bullseye-Target-System/wiki/Installing-the-App-&-Connecting

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLueck Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:59 am

I have been shooting at Range USA.  Which location or state are you in?  Do you know which locations have used this?  Are their carriers a standard system/size?  Did you approach them about installing this?  Or how did you go about doing it?  

If you shoot the rod, is the system toast?

AndyLueck

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:50 am

I am in Indiana. I approached the local range manager with my idea of hanging a lightweight fixture for bullseye practice. He agreed to look at the system and determine if he thought it was too heavy. I built my prototype and took it in, and they agreed to let me use it.

I do not know if all ranges are the same. I took a piece of tag board (the nra b 16 target) and replaced the range USA cardboard with that to get good indentations of where the pins are for the hangers. Measured from there and that’s what you see above.

Don’t shoot the rod. Smile. You will see on the Amazon list that everything is inexpensive. If you are concerned with hitting the down rod, use a wood rod, plastic or fiberglass. Would probably take some weight off too.

I am trying to work with RangeUsa to let us host indoor leagues there. There is another thread on BE Forum with that info. I’m hosting a virtual league but hope to get RangeUsa to sponsor us and even stock the turners in house. The plans are completely open for anyone who truly wants to do it completely on their own so range USA could add them at little cost and really help our sport.

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by AnthonyJ Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:15 am

What's the total weight? I'd be interested to bring this over to my range as well.

AnthonyJ

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:29 am

Our indoor range has turners, which we are not allowed to use (no one can use them because they require thinking on the part of range mngmt.), but they all have an angled 1/4” aluminum deflection plate in front of the mechanism.  

I assure you every one of those plates is very essential and have taken dozens of shots.  You really should assume that sooner or later, your turner is gonna take a hit.  I will admit to having an occasional “early flyer” on the range, but new folks will stick a bullet about anywhere in a four foot radius at 25 and 50 yards.

It is one thing for your personal use, but once you are letting anyone that shows up for a BE practice aim a gun at it… it only a matter of time before you get handed a pile of shot up parts and an apology.  

Spend some time at your average shooting range and you quickly realize no one cares about range equipment, until it breaks.  They get irate if it is the range’s fault.  They pack up quietly and leave before anyone notices if it is their fault. Laughing

Shielding aside, I really like your portable concept though.  There is some good potential there.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

DA/SA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:53 am

AnthonyJ wrote:What's the total weight? I'd be interested to bring this over to my range as well.
Without the battery, 2.8 pounds.  3.6 pounds with a dewalt 2 Ah battery.  I also use a smaller motor for my indoor build: https://www.amazon.com/Stepper-Motor-Bipolar-64oz-Printer/dp/B00PNEQI7W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33P1TF61TN22W&keywords=nema17+stepper+motors&qid=1667911717&sprefix=nema17%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-3

as you can seem build uses aluminum rods, backing plate (liked the look), etc.  I'm toying with the idea to use a plastic board as the backing for even less weight.

For my dad's build, I used a different power supply: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-3000mAh-Lithium-External/dp/B01M7Z9Z1N/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IDRMKDNYBGHO&keywords=cctv+battery&qid=1667911885&sprefix=cctv+batter%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-4. which is .4 pounds and lighter yet.

The neat part about the current design, I take off the coupler, and the entire unit fits in my gunbox.

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:58 am

willnewton wrote:Our indoor range has turners, which we are not allowed to use (no one can use them because they require thinking on the part of range mngmt.), but they all have an angled 1/4” aluminum deflection plate in front of the mechanism.  

I assure you every one of those plates is very essential and have taken dozens of shots.  You really should assume that sooner or later, your turner is gonna take a hit.  I will admit to having an occasional “early flyer” on the range, but new folks will stick a bullet about anywhere in a four foot radius at 25 and 50 yards.

It is one thing for your personal use, but once you are letting anyone that shows up for a BE practice aim a gun at it… it only a matter of time before you get handed a pile of shot up parts and an apology.  

Spend some time at your average shooting range and you quickly realize no one cares about range equipment, until it breaks.  They get irate if it is the range’s fault.  They pack up quietly and leave before anyone notices if it is their fault. Laughing

Shielding aside, I really like your portable concept though.  There is some good potential there.

Yes, the angled plate would be a good idea for someone to add.  I typically shoot during the day at RangeUSA, few people there, and barring a flyer, I'm confident my system will last.  Looking at each component, they're inexpensive...

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by heli_av8tor Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:45 am

Oh, it will get shot!

heli_av8tor

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:46 am

heli_av8tor wrote:Oh, it will get shot!
For sure...eventually, it's inevitable.  Then I'll fix it, and head back to the range...

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 am

smdial wrote:
heli_av8tor wrote:Oh, it will get shot!
For sure...eventually, it's inevitable.  Then I'll fix it, and head back to the range...

Do we have a broom that fits the target hanger too, so we can recover our shot up computer parts from the floor down by the backstop? Embarassed I could see Range policy becoming less permissive if the bullseye gizmo guys get a reputation for leaving parts downrange .
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:31 am

Let’s not give him too hard of a time just for one detail that can be changed or may not readily apply for personal use vs. public use. 

This is still very early in the game and I have done many similar electronic software/hardware like this myself.  I even made my own turner/timer for air pistol years ago.  It is hard work just to get the thing working to start with.  The rest will come in good time. 

Keep up the good work. Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 am

willnewton wrote:Let’s not give him too hard of a time just for one detail that can be changed or may not readily apply for personal use vs. public use. 

This is still very early in the game and I have done many similar electronic software/hardware like this myself.  I even made my own turner/timer for air pistol years ago.  It is hard work just to get the thing working to start with.  The rest will come in good time. 

Keep up the good work. Smile
Thank you! 

Looking at the other threads on how to get more people involved in our sport -- an affordable means to practice seems like a good place to start...yes, we'll have some issues, yes, it might get shot...so what?

smdial

AnthonyJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heli_av8tor Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:26 pm

No personal attack intended. Hopefully it will go a long time between upgrade opportunities.

heli_av8tor

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:06 pm

Our range has a piece of 2" steel angle iron running vertically to protect the bar the target hangs from. It's oriented with the top corner facing the incoming rounds, and they hold up to .45 hits, deflecting them mostly sideways and into the backstop. The whole thing goes back and forth as part of the trolley.

A similar horizontal shield would probably work to protect the servo and electronics too!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:18 pm

Is there a photo of this thing hanging from a range USA holder? 

As far as shooting the rod, my range USA is only 25 yards long.  Given 10 rounds of 45, and if I hold my mouth just right, I bet that I could hit the rod.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:50 pm

Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1317
Plans to create turning target system for RangeUSA lanes Img_1316

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:52 pm

Some videos that are too large to host here :

https://github.com/100-5x/Bullseye-Target-System/tree/main/photos

smdial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down