Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New shooter kit

4 posters

Go down

New shooter kit Empty New shooter kit

Post by astroturf3040 11/13/2022, 10:21 pm

Here we go.. 

Todays pistol to buy fir cf/45 matches.

We have a brand new shooter doing quite well. Approaching SS with 22.

She wants optics.

So where to start on pistol?

What are some options please?

astroturf3040

Back to top Go down

New shooter kit Empty Re: New shooter kit

Post by RoyDean 11/13/2022, 11:41 pm

Ruger 22/45 with Ruger optic rail n Ultradot 1". Drop in trigger kit from Volquartsen or Tandemcross.

Next up the 22 ladder is a Hammerli Excesse or similar. If funding available go straight to a Pardini. Same UD.

Forget about other caliber's, second gun should be a 1911 in 45ACP. This forum has repeatedly recommended the Springfield Armory Range Officer with some reputable gunsmith "tweaking". Dave Salyer often recommended. I agree. The SARO is no longer in production, but there are other models that will work. Ask Dave.

Next up the ladder is a Rock River wad gun. Then a custom build, but be ready for a long wait!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/14/2022, 12:38 am

If I was spec’ing a gun for a woman; 1911 in 45. 30 lpi front strap; should be done on bare frame because it will reduce front strap to back strap dimension. Recontoured grip safety to reduce grip size front to back. Thin grips if small hand otherwise standard thickness. Short trigger.
13 twist KKM Barrel!!! Have been getting good results if you have good/great bullets downloaded to 600ish fps. I was shooting my 13 twist frame mount with 2.8 gr BE Summers 200 gr lswc recently. It’s feels like I’m cheating.
Frame mount vs slide mount? Can get close to the same recoil feel but need little more powder for the slide mount with H1. Can also lighten the slide under the optic rail.
This is perfect woman’s CF/45 pistol in my opinion.
Jon

Last edited by Jon Eulette on 11/14/2022, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 11/14/2022, 7:36 am

A good place to start before buying anything would be to let the shooter try as much different stuff as possible. arched vs flat mainspring, thin slabs/thicker slabs, short length trigger vs long, different levels of aggressiveness on front strap and so on. A bunch of people on the internet taking a shot in the dark guess at what is best likely will not yield best results.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down