Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems

+8
Jon Eulette
Texasref
John Dervis
oldsalt444
Boxturtle
RodJ
straybrit
jscot111
12 posters

Go down

CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems Empty CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems

Post by jscot111 Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:03 am

For everyone who is having trouble with there pistols not working properly, If you are using CCI SV made in the last couple of years it's probably the source of your troubles. It was mine and everyone's go too for years. When the box changed colors a couple of years ago it has become very erratic and has caused people to chase there tail with malfunctions. I have had good luck with Aquilla SE, Eley and SK products.
Scott

jscot111

Back to top Go down

CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems Empty Re: CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems

Post by straybrit Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:06 am

The 'new' SV is giving me 1-2 nofires per 500. Aguilla SE is 1-2 per 100. 

Both are now practice only - I picked up a case of SK at Perry and it's been flawless (so far - touches wood).

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:28 pm

I opened my last box of the old dark blue CCI SV.  Performed flawlessly. The light blue is horrible.  Someone at CCI should get a spanking.

Eley Target has worked very well for my level. Aguila SV is okay but I haven’t shot much of it yet.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:44 pm

I guess I'm just lucky.  I'm shooting 15,000 rounds of CCI SV per year and have yet to have a misfire or any other complaint.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Ray Dash and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:20 pm

At first, I had problems with CCI SV.  In the last year or so, not so much.  I'm only guessing but I think this has something to do with their priming.  If your gun is one of those tempermental European varieties, then the firing pin and hammer spring must be in top notch condition to work with CCI SV.  I found this out with my Benelli MP95.  New firing pins are a must every 8-10 thousand rounds.  And keep that chamber CLEAN!  It doesn't hurt to run a chamber hone in there to smooth it up some.  It helps with extraction.  

However with my Ruger MK1 and S&W revolver, there's never a problem, except the occasional stove pipe.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:07 pm

This is a small sample size but I bought some very recent production CCI at a local farm supply store so I could do some testing on it. I bought 250 rounds and used about 200 without any malfunctions.  This was in the fall. Based on that, I think they may have solved the problems they had a couple years ago. 

John

John Dervis

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:23 pm

I saw where CCI is now offering "coated" SV rounds. Much like the Federal Syntac.
I would be interested if anyone has fired these and their thoughts on them.
Thanks in advance.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:34 pm

Newer case of CCI…..
CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems F030da10
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 pm

Jon, I fixed your photo…

CCI SV Quality and Pistol Problems 43c5aa10

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 pm

I shot 50 tonight from Light Blue Brick Shot fine the last brick was an absolute disaster. I will have to take note of the case lot the next time I run into baddies. 

Definitely not the gun, the primer strikes were very proud. 

I would also guess if I measure the rim lengths there would be a discrepancy in the bad ones.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:37 pm

I bet it has to do with them running 24/7 to keep up with demand and I bet alot of old-timers have retired or left because of the flu.
I have been measuring the OD of the brass cases from various boxes I buy at my LGS's.
The new SV is .001" larger in diameter than the old SV. Maybe CCI rebuilt their tooling and the new dies are larger in Dia?
The new SV feeds fine in my GSP (large chamber) but causes problems in my other .22's. 
I'm getting up the nerve to run a bigger chamber reamer in a barrel and see what happens. Need to consult with my mentor the tool maker.

Last edited by Wes Lorenz on Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Wes Lorenz

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:38 am

Long story - I had problems with CCI a few years ago, called technical support, and spoke to Justin, who I think was in charge of that department.  He asked me to send some of my ammo, tested it, then had me ship him my "bad" ammo and he replaced it.  Apparently one of the new factories was having issues.

My problem was the coating they apply to the ammo.  Just wiping off the coating helped.

On another gun, it was the very tight fit into the chamber - the first time I fired, just a click, no bang, but the second time I pulled back the hammer, it shot fine.  This was cured by replacing the barrel.

I have recently bought more CCI 22 SV ammo, direct from CCI, and I haven't yet had a problem.

Anyone here know how to buy more of the Eley ammo that was sold for may years by the CMP?  That ammo was reasonably priced, and worked great.  I mostly switched to it, but I don't think the CMP will be selling it again.  :-(
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:53 am

mikemyers wrote:

Anyone here know how to buy more of the Eley ammo that was sold for may years by the CMP?  That ammo was reasonably priced, and worked great.  I mostly switched to it, but I don't think the CMP will be selling it again.  :-(

I got an email from the CMP yesterday about Ammo-
It didn't mention Eley specifically. 

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is pleased to announce the recent acquisition of .30 carbine, .22 pistol, M2 ball, and .22 Long Rifle surplus ammunition supply that will soon become available to CMP customers. 
Currently, the items are in the cataloging and assessment stage by staff members.

“The CMP plans to make the ammunition available to our loyal constituents sometime this spring, after the surplus ammo goes through all CMP in-processing procedures,” said Mark Johnson, CMP’s Chief Operating Officer and Director of Civilian Marksmanship. 
“Purchase limits and restrictions will be set to ensure that the mission of CMP is well served.”

The CMP intends on maintaining a surplus ammo inventory large enough to support CMP Matches for the next several years and to provide discounted surplus ammo to competitors attending CMP events. 
All sales will include set limits to remain in compliance with guidelines specified in the Memorandum of Agreement between the Department of the Army and the CMP. 

Further surplus sales details will be forthcoming in the near future. Commercial ammunition sales are currently available on the CMP E-Store to qualified individuals. Register for an account or browse the CMP E-Store at https://estore.thecmp.org

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down