Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rats hunting at my house

+10
mikemyers
tovaert
Wobbley
Rodger Barthlow
4th Corner Traveler
FimRire RongLifle
chopper
NWSteve
LenV
george38
14 posters

Go down

Rats hunting at my house Empty Rats hunting at my house

Post by george38 Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:57 pm

My air rifle is a FWB 300 about 7.5 joules or 55 foot pounds. I'm having a rough time killing Rats, after a solid body hit they always make it into the bushes and/or their burrow. I'd like to figure out a way to DRT them. I've been experimenting with different pellets all claiming to be the answer. I'm thinking the answer might be a quick expanding pellet. A soft lead hollow point might be the answer, it needs to expand quickly because my rifle is on the slow side. Most of my shots are at runners, so headshots are iffy. Any recommendations, I've got a decent collection of pellets, at least six types so far that have me underwhelmed. Likely a couple of thousand that I may eventually use for target practice, but pretty much useless otherwise. Last Fall it was mice, we had a bunch of them, this Spring it is Rats, at least four generations running around here. I've been trapping and shooting them and haven't made much of a dent in the population so far, methinks they are breeding faster than I can kill them. My Cat is AWOL I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since the Rats took over. My Terriers are too old to catch many Rats, one is fifteen the other seventeen. I'm anti-poison especially with the dogs running around, if they don't get into the poison the likelihood of them eating a poisoned Rat is high. Any help is appreciated. 

george38

Back to top Go down

Rats hunting at my house Empty Re: Rats hunting at my house

Post by LenV Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:05 pm

Great for mice and rats.Rats hunting at my house Screen35
LenV
LenV

Al, Hawkja and Buck13 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSteve Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:46 pm

As a teenager the depth of trouble we got into was astounding. One of our adventures was making exploding pellets. As close as I can remember we took apart firecrackers, collected the gunpowder. Then took .22 pellets and placed a little bit in the pellet and crimped a bb encapsulating the powder. We would shoot the pellet backward so the bb struck first and would cause a small explosion upon impact. Not sure a rat would cause enough of a resistance to explode but.... good times.

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:36 pm

Stay with traps if you can't use poison. You'll never kill enough by shooting them if they are outside, if they don't get in your house you're in pretty good shape. Sounds like you're having fun shooting at them, you might get a scope for your rifle. I kill the cottontails raiding my garden with a .177 Daisy pump up rifle but left a few suffering, so I bought a .22 cal air rifle and it was 1 headshot kills from then on. In the winter I eat them yummy little fellows if I feel the urge.
 Stan

chopper

4th Corner Traveler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:23 pm

Water bucket type traps help in our horse barn somewhat. And without poison. Anything that can expand and or fragment is helpful on them but we mostly use suppressed 22lr so I can't speak to air rifles. Red flashlight helps at night
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 4th Corner Traveler Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:54 pm

You could try the domed pellets. When I shoot the rats with the target pellets, it rolls them.  Then they pop up and start scratching the point of impact.  I've not had that issue with the domed pellets.  
Also, Rats here in the PNW love apples.  You could try baiting them with some apple peels or cores to get them to slow down enough for good head shots?

Good Luck.

4th Corner Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by 4th Corner Traveler Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 pm

LenV wrote:Great for mice and rats.Rats hunting at my house Screen35

Hey Len, with that muzzle flash, does it roast the little guys?lol!

4th Corner Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:43 pm

The FWB is a nice rifle but too light for what you are wanting to do.
I've killed ground hogs with 177 12 joules rifle and gray squirrels. Go to Walmart and get yourself a gas piston break barrel and it will get the job done.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:00 pm

Go way bigger, like 25 cal

https://www.airgundepot.com/25-caliber-air-rifles.html
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 am

^^^^^ This. 

I have a .177 Diana spring piston and it is fast, but harsh shooting and not too accurate. Not good for larger stuff like groundhogs. I gave it to a friend who has squirrel problems. With heavier pellets it's pretty quiet (if that matters). I replaced it with a Weihrauch HW90 (in .22) w/Hawke scope. Gas piston, nice trigger, accurate...but somewhat loud. Much better results in the groundhog department. 

Regarding rats, true story. My late grandparents were building superintendents in a hi-rise building just off Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. They would sometimes get rats in the basement boiler room. Tried poison, but they get smart and leave it. Then another super told him to stick the tip of a steel rod in the burner under one of the boilers. Trap one, stick it (aka, get it screaming), then let it go. It worked! No rat problems after that. 

My wife and I have three daughters who live in Chicago. The rat problem is unlike anything I saw when I was younger. They run across streets and alleys right in front of you, even during the day. Munch on garbage as you walk by. My wife says "I'll bet you wish you had your air pistol for a little target practice." Of course I agree with her, but a glowing piece of wrought iron always comes to mind first. Since it's hard to have a hot piece of wrought iron handy, I always wondered how a cattle prod would work. The big ones that run on, say, 6 or 8 D-cells.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Rats hunting at my house Empty Black Powder? Looks like my Ruger Old Army!

Post by mikemyers Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:59 pm

LenV wrote:Great for mice and rats.Rats hunting at my house Screen35

Wow, this looks like my Ruger Old Army being fired!  Check my forum photo!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:41 pm

mikemyers wrote:
LenV wrote:Great for mice and rats.

Wow, this looks like my Ruger Old Army being fired!  Check my forum photo!

You ever shoot a snub 357 in a darkened range? 
Ball of fire will blind you

OT rat story - Rats got in the wall through the tub drain hole in the floor.  Ate through the plastic waterline to the tub. 
4k worth of damage.  Insurance has a 1k deductible
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 am

Step # 1 - Remove the food source that's attracting the rats.  Quite often it's bird feeders. My good friend was plagued by rats that hid in the flower beds around his house and chowed down on all of the spilled birdseed under the multiple feeders.  His wife wouldn't give up the bird feeders, so I loaned him my old multi-pump Benjamin .22 air rifle. He must have killed 10 or 12 before they decided to cut back on the birdseed - which was mostly oiled sunflower seed.  Now the squirrels are unhappy. LOL

PS: I told them squirrels make great stew, but that didn't sound attractive to his wife. Mad

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:47 am

Gamo Swarm Maxxim in .177 works ok on grey tree rats, but .22cal would be better. Not impressed with its accuracy, but then, it ain't a Bullseye gun!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:41 pm

This is clearly a spam/scam account. Original post text was lifted from here:

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/426020-rats.html

However, this did bring up a lot of rat knowledge, which is good, I guess? Smile

-Chase

Chase Turner

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:49 pm

Hmmm.  I'm waiting for the posting "alibi".

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:39 pm

OldShooter43 wrote:Step # 1 - Remove the food source that's attracting the rats.  Quite often it's bird feeders. My good friend was plagued by rats that hid in the flower beds around his house and chowed down on all of the spilled birdseed under the multiple feeders.  His wife wouldn't give up the bird feeders, so I loaned him my old multi-pump Benjamin .22 air rifle. He must have killed 10 or 12 before they decided to cut back on the birdseed - which was mostly oiled sunflower seed.  Now the squirrels are unhappy. LOL

PS: I told them squirrels make great stew, but that didn't sound attractive to his wife. Mad

Yup.  Mothers bird feeders equal rats equals leaked pipes.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down