Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Set of competition pistols

+11
Froneck
chopper
Jack H
BHeintz
RoyDean
Wobbley
NukeMMC
Dcforman
Jon Eulette
SingleActionAndrew
Hawker4224
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Set of competition pistols - Page 2 Empty Set of competition pistols

Post by Hawker4224 Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok guys first thing I want to say is hi my name is Matt and I am brand new to this forum. 2nd thing I want to say is sorry but this might be a long question. 

I just started shooting bullseye competitions this year. I have shot one handed messing around trying to match my dad, still can't by the way but let's not get side tracked. My dad has shoot bullseye for 50 years and I finally decided to follow in his foot steps and see what I can do. I have been shooting handguns for 20 years just not bullseye competition. So I jumped right in the deep end and now I am committed. Here is the question/questions.

I started buying guns plus I have inherited my dad's guns but every gun has opene sights. Everybody I shoot with is using red dots and they all say red dots will increase my scores. Right now these are my guns I am working with.

Smith model 41 1961 7 1/4" barrel with compensator and original box and weights.

High standard victor

Colt national match mid range 38 wadcutter with a Bomar and Clark trigger job

Smith model 52-2 38 wadcutter in the original box

Colt gold cup national match 45

Kimber stainless target long slide 45

Pair of springfiled armory range officers 9mm and 45

I am looking for a 3 gun set 22lr center fire and 45acp for bullseye competition. I have been told to shoot your best you should have as small of change as possible so I am thinking I want 3 1911s with red dots. 

With that said I am not sure I want to drill and tap some of the guns I have as they are pretty valuable and collectable. 

My thought is this but really not an expert and looking for advice from experienced shooters and pistolsmiths.

I have a colt ace slide and chip mccormack frame that I would like to be built into a 22lr with a frame mounted red dot. I think putting a rail and red dot on the slide will be to heavy and potential effect cycling. Then I would like to take the 2 range officers and have them redone and modified and put a rib mounted rail and red dot on both. With trigger jobs and barrels with custom bushings etc. 

This should get me 3 semi custom guns without ruining the value of some collectable guns and not waiting 6 years and 15k for 3 full custom guns. 

Am I on the right track and if I am who should I reach out to for this work. Thanks in advance for all the help. Hopefully I'll be able to beat my dad and his old eyes after this.

Hawker4224

Back to top Go down

Set of competition pistols - Page 2 Empty Re: Set of competition pistols

Post by BE Mike Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:15 am

Do you reload? If not, you may want to consider selling off a couple of guns and get into it. I would also suggest that you either buy or borrow a machine rest to test the 50 yard accuracy of the pistols you now own, assuming that they are reliable. A machine rest is a very important tool to test your gun/ ammo combinations. Only test at 50 yards, if outdoor shooting will be your jam. I also go along with the suggestion to shoot two pistols instead of three. I shot a model 52-1 S&W for centerfire, primarily because I had a very good supply of factory match wadcutters. Back in the days of the old Bullseye-L e-mail list some top shooters advised me to go to two guns only. I credit that decision, in part, for making NRA Outdoor Master. For me, training with iron sights was a good step in getting enough points to get my CMP Distinguished Pistol Badge. All that being said, there is no one right way to success in this sport. Everyone is a little different. Read good books, shoot a lot of matches and train, train, train!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2