Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barrel ring

+6
OldShooter43
Cmysix
Wobbley
shoot308
NWSteve
sbtzc
10 posters

Go down

Barrel ring Empty Barrel ring

Post by sbtzc 3/25/2023, 10:42 am

There's a ring in the barrel of my Nelson conversion about 2/3's forward of the chamber. Some sort of obstruction, perhaps a light round and I shot it out. However, I don't recall a light round that did not cycle the bolt.

Anyway, is it safe to shoot? What is the effect on accuracy? What should be done with it?

Brian
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Barrel ring Empty Re: Barrel ring

Post by NWSteve 3/25/2023, 10:58 am

If you are unsure take it to a gunsmith to check it out. Does not sound ok to shoot.

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by shoot308 3/25/2023, 11:16 am

Usually ringed barrels are fine. Seen lots of 22 rifles over the years with them and believe it or not most shot just fine.

shoot308

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/25/2023, 12:16 pm

It’s safe to shoot, IMO, and accuracy shouldn’t be affected too bad.  There are many old 22s that have rings and they shoot fine.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 3/25/2023, 1:14 pm

Wobbley wrote:It’s safe to shoot, IMO, and accuracy shouldn’t be affected too bad.  There are many old 22s that have rings and they shoot fine.

since there is no pic, can you explain? barrel ring? I like reading your posts, you seem to be centered.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 3/25/2023, 2:28 pm

I got a Colt Officers Model Match 22 LR from my father years ago that he said he ruined by shooting .22 Short ammo in it. There was a visible ring about 1/1/2 inches forward of the chamber. I shot that revolver for several years using standard velocity .22 LR ammo and did not notice any significant loss in accuracy shooting from a sandbag rest at 25 yards.  Safety is a non-issue.  The depth of the ring is minimal and there's a lot of rifled barrel beyond it.  I bought an S&W Model 25 no dash (very cheaply) with a gouge in the 6 inch barrel about 2 inches before the muzzle caused by a misguided attempt by the previous owner to drill into a lodged bullet. I intended to have the revolver re-barreled, but never did it because it was very accurate at both 25 and 50 yards.  I've put at least 1500 rounds through it with no problems.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/25/2023, 3:10 pm

Cmysix wrote:
Wobbley wrote:It’s safe to shoot, IMO, and accuracy shouldn’t be affected too bad.  There are many old 22s that have rings and they shoot fine.

since there is no pic, can you explain? barrel ring? I like reading your posts, you seem to be centered.
A ring can be many things up to and including a bulge.  Assuming it is a bulge, that means the barrel has yielded in hoop tension but not burst.  Following shots will have to raise the localized pressure to get a local strain beyond what caused the bulge in the first place in order to make it bigger.  So it’s safe to fire.  The next is the accuracy.  Even if the bulge is big enough for the bullet to leave the rifling, there is enough barrel length left to re-engrave and re-establish ballistic turning of the bullet.  22 bullets are very nearly pure lead so they’re very malleable and this re-establishment will be a non- issue.  But I doubt it if they will have to fully re-establish as I would guess the malleability will allow the bullet to expand to the bulge and then swage itself down when it gets past the bulge.  

If I recall, the Nelson barrel is made from aluminum with a rifled liner.  The bulge indicates that the liner has expanded into the slightly larger bore for the liner.  Basically a non issue.  

I spent too many years in aircraft engineering to be not centered.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Motophotog7 and Cmysix like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 3/25/2023, 3:18 pm

The one thing not mentioned here - so far - is seeking the advice of the manufacturer.  I'd recommend talking to the guys at Nelson since it's their product.  They're very good about answering questions about their products.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 3/25/2023, 3:38 pm

OP,

If you are not sure what you are looking at, you should have a gunsmith examine your barrel.  With all due respect to previous posters who are speculating without even seeing the type of ring you have, you want to be safe.  I can show you bulged pistol barrels where the exterior bulge could only be detected by a micrometer to one with external longitudinal stress fractures.  When I asked the gunsmith to return the latter to me, he made absolutely certain it would not be used again by drilling the chamber and grinding the rifling.  Be safe.

sharkdoctor

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 3/26/2023, 9:03 am

If you ask the manufacturer, or even a gunsmith, or anyone else who might bear liability for telling you it's safe, be prepared for them to say you ought to replace it, rather than assume liability.  I mean, where's the motivation?

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 3/28/2023, 11:19 am

Nelson Custom says it's not a problem safety wise although it may degrade accuracy somewhat. They contend the barrel (liner) and outer shroud (steel) are over engineered and won't split or crack.

The local gunsmith is the one who spotted the ring when I took it to him to be recrowned. He was going to go ahead and recrown it which suggests he wasn't concerned.

I cannot detect any bulge visually, by feel or using a metal drafting ruler.

A new barrel or a re-line is $150 plus 12 weeks or more wait time.

However, a friend pointed out that although the barrel may be safe to shoot, the aluminum slide could give way under pressure from another obstruction. He said there might also be an undetectable crack that could worsen with use. Finally, he asked my how much an eye was worth.

Yup. New barrel or sell off everything but the barrel. But that's for a new thread.
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 3/30/2023, 2:34 pm

I would not re-line the barrel! Nelson barrels are turned to thread diameter of 3/8" 40tpi left hand. Minor diameter is .345" could be less depending how it was threaded.Barrel liner is 5/16" (.313) so .345 - .313 = .032 divide by 2 to get wall thickness .016" or about 1/64" Being the aluminum top rail is mounted to the barrel and scope mounted to it there is not much holding the barrel to the mounting block except the liner. If the lager bore diameter for .22 is .223" subtract that form the barrel liner OD .313" is .090" therefore the wall thickness is .043" and plus the above .016" gives a total of .059" or slightly less than 1/16". But it's not a solid .059" It's been done but I wouldn't do it!
Send be the bad Barrel and a replacement blank and I'll thread your replacement blank and install in in the mounting block. Best to send the top aluminum piece so I can get exact dimensions to drill and tap the mounting screws. I do have a Nelson and can get screw hole dimensions from it but can get exact dimensions from yours. $50 + 10.50 shipping. 2 weeks or less turn around. Barrel blank must be 5/8" diameter or greater. Length must be the same or greater than the original for top aluminum scope mount to fit. If longer specify how long you want the finished barrel. Remember barrel length is from chamber face to end of the barrel. E-mail me at FSCO@pa.net if interested.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/30/2023, 4:38 pm

sbtzc wrote:There's a ring in the barrel of my Nelson conversion about 2/3's forward of the chamber. Some sort of obstruction, perhaps a light round and I shot it out. However, I don't recall a light round that did not cycle the bolt.

Anyway, is it safe to shoot? What is the effect on accuracy? What should be done with it?
Call Larry or Kevin Nelson at: 480-699-8040.

They are always very helpful.
They may ask you to return the barrel so they can examine it.

Unfortunately, from checking their website just now, if they decide to replace it, it might mean a long wait.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down