Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clearing a Malfunction

+17
Jack H
mspingeld
mikemyers
Tim:H11
Rotwang
Pinetree
robert84010
Merick
tomd999
bruce martindale
NukeMMC
SaraiEsq
John Dervis
Ed Hall
Al
chiz1180
DA/SA
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Clearing a Malfunction - Page 2 Empty Clearing a Malfunction

Post by DA/SA Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just for the sake of discussion and to exercise the Fundamentals Forum...

I shot a hundred rounds of sustained fire .45 today, TF and RF mixed, and had a failure to eject on one round during a TF string. The case didn't eject completely on the third round and held the slide open. I cleared it, got back to work and got all five rounds off successfully before the target turned.

After doing so, I thought about that for a minute, and realized that I may not have been able to successfully clear it and would have lost my chance for a refire string if all hadn't gone well.

So the question for the more experienced is... do you take the gamble on clearing it, or just put it down and take the alibi re-fire? 

Just curious!

Thanks!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Clearing a Malfunction - Page 2 Empty Re: Clearing a Malfunction

Post by DA/SA Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 pm

Ed Hall wrote:A word (or a few) of caution:  If you ever experience a "Click. . . no Bang!" and rack the slide to continue, make sure you see a complete cartridge ejected.  If you see an empty case, stop everything!  Although it is "remotely possible" that an empty case got back in the chamber, it's much more likely that the bullet didn't leave the barrel.
I was at an indoor range with a friend years ago and he was shooting a very nice WW-II vintage P-35. I heard a strange hissing noise and looked over and smoke was rising from around the chamber. He racked the slide, a case ejected, and he was going to shoot again and I stopped him. Did a quick check and a bullet was lodged in the barrel. Had he shot it again it would have ruined his day!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:05 pm

Years ago in gallery league, I had two different times a fail to fire during my alibi string in rapid.  Both times I swapped mags, racked slide, and got the shots off all on target.  Not bad either.  Larry sent me a new hammer spring that solved the problem in the 208.  In all the haste and RO not checking, can't be too sure of the round count.  But it was a no count league match. so who cares
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:27 pm

I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but I saw Jason Meidinger (USMC) clear a jam during a refire in a .45 Rapid Fire shoot-off.  He still shot 100 with enough Xs to win at an InterService Championship.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:06 am

Merick wrote:Do you get an alibi in an EIC leg match or not?

YES.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 am

Tim:H11 wrote:So a practice that myself and some others I know go by is this: upon a malfunction, take the alibi. But we dead-line that gun immediately following the string that the alibi occurred in and go to our backup gun to continue. Having said this, not everyone has a backup gun or can afford one. 

So option two for someone who has only one gun. Take the alibi. You can’t promise me that the gun will clear easily, or that it won’t cause you to rack a live round out of the gun too, or that the shots following your immediate action (if successful) will be of quality due to your focus being broke and you’re now “frazzled”. Take the alibi. Clear the gun upon command, and maintenance the gun if need be to avoid a second malfunction. Mentally regroup, and get yourself back in the game. 

That’s just me. Sharing for your brain to chew on.

I can't argue with your choice to switch to a backup pistol but it can only be done within the Rules between matches.  Otherwise, the malfunctioning pistol would have to be declared "disabled" by a referee (NRA) or CRO (CMP) in order to make that switch "immediately".

I agree with most of the postings and advice given on this thread.  Bruce's comment was especially important to ensure safety.  There are so many reasons why malfunctions occur and having a bullet stuck in the barrel can be very costly both financially and with potential injuries.

Stay well,  have fun and be safe.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by only_8_ring Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:41 pm

Something I've realized over the course of some ammo issues lately is that you can easily tell whether your barrel is clear by blowing into the chamber with the slide open. You have to make sure you're paying attention, since you only get one "puff" before the smoke from your previous shot is gone. Really not something you want to rely on, but if this is your second malfunction during an EIC match and you already burned your alibi, take a second to blow the smoke through and make sure you're not making a big mistake.

only_8_ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:08 pm

Obviously alibi’s are different, and lotsa good advice. I would recommend when you are training that you treat your malfunctions as if in a match. At a match, do not put your pistol on the bench or take your hand off it. Keep it pointed down range and raise your non firing hand. Range personnel will come to you to check if your alibi is allowed. I’ve seen a legitimate alibi become not an alibi from the slide touching the bench and chambering a jammed cartridge. I’ve seen several other things as well. I would have to say in my experience that 41 owners are the high masters of alibi’s lol. Your mileage may vary Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:03 pm

When your alibis are gone, you at least have a fighting chance at loading a loose round into an open top high standard on the clock.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by sturitter Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:14 am

While it is not too difficult to clear the gun in timed fire, rapid fire is another story. I have always just taken the alibi and remained calm and focused. Seems taking the risk to clear and continue has too many variables to deal with.

Stu

sturitter

http://www.sturitter.com

mbmshooter and Sparky_D like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum