Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using same zero for bench + offhand?

+2
SteveT
KenP11A
6 posters

Go down

Using same zero for bench + offhand? Empty Using same zero for bench + offhand?

Post by KenP11A Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:22 pm

Hello all, I'm getting surgery on my left hand so I decided to try my (good) hand at bullseye. I went to the range today to test out my .22, and I had a decent group at 50, but it was about 6-8" high. I decided to confirm my zero bench rested, and found it was zero'd. Is that a shooter issue? If I use that gun for other competitions (it's not special, just a Glock 44) should I just keep the bench zero and do a sub-six hold when I do bullseye?

Hoping someone has ran into this issue before. Thanks for any help!

KenP11A

Back to top Go down

Using same zero for bench + offhand? Empty Re: Using same zero for bench + offhand?

Post by SteveT Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:44 pm

It is normal to have a shift between rested and off hand groups. I think mine is usually more like 3-4". The geometry between your eye, the sights and the target changes. When I shoot off a rest I am closer to the gun, holding it with two hands and facing the target squarely. A very different position than one handed standing.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Using same zero for bench + offhand? Empty Re: Using same zero for bench + offhand?

Post by John Dervis Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:01 pm

You will also get a different point of impact using one hand vs two. Two hands will hold the gun more stable and will control muzzle rise better so I would expect that method to hit lower than when using one hand.  

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:44 am

It's your hold, you're probably "heeling" subtly. In my case I had to crank my windage screw (mostly) when switching hands.  This was especially noticeable in sustained fire, which was downright sloppy. Over time, my left hand figured things out and I found I could switch without any change.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:11 pm

Depending on how old you are switching hands can be hard. I had to switch from left hand to right hard at 63 years old.   Try to train as much as possible on your stance and bring the gun up to point of aim.  Takes some time but it's completely natural after couple of years.  I shot high for a while then everything started falling into place.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by KenP11A Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:58 am

Thanks all! I tried another iron sight gun (Staccato XL) and I had the same issue (POIs about 5" higher than my 50 yard two-hand off hand zero). Looks like it's the way I hold when I change my stance + go to a one hand grip. Adjusted four clicks down, tried five more rounds at 50 yards and shot one X, three 10s and one 7.  So I think the zero adjustment was the solution! Appreciate all the input. 

I should note, as the range session continued, my group size increased accordingly (lol).

Last edited by KenP11A on Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

KenP11A

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:39 am

Are you doing a “standard” two hand grip from the bench?  If so the gun recoils differently when you shoot it offhand.  When benching a pistol, I’d shoot with my forearm on the rest just behind my wrist.  My left hand is gripping my wrist.  That way the gun duplicates the recoil experienced in bullseye.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KenP11A Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:36 am

Wobbley wrote:Are you doing a “standard” two hand grip from the bench?  If so the gun recoils differently when you shoot it offhand.  When benching a pistol, I’d shoot with my forearm on the rest just behind my wrist.  My left hand is gripping my wrist.  That way the gun duplicates the recoil experienced in bullseye.

My usual zero'ing process is to use two-handed grip off a bench/rest at 50 yards. Once that's dialed in, I'll shoot two-handed off-hand to confirm and/or make any slight adjustments. 

I found on the two pistols I tested that POIs were about 5" higher when I shot one handed, hand parallel with my shoulders (via arm out in front) compared to the above zero. 

I made some adjustments and it looks like I can just adjust down and be good, but next range day I will try shooting one handed off the bench as you suggested! Thank you!

KenP11A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum