Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s

4 posters

Go down

Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s Empty Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s

Post by Soupy44 4/16/2023, 9:59 pm

Due to a lovely vacation planned by one of our excellent local match directors, we ended up with two 2700s back to back this weekend.  Saturday at Sir Walter, and Sunday at Durham Pistol and Rifle.

First learning point, this is a lot of shooting!  Loved it though!  Will be a great jump start to the season for stamina!

Second, when fatigued, my first instinct was to fight and work harder.  DON'T DO IT!!!  This really exhausted me through the 22 phase.  I shot about 10 points lower than yesterday.  SF for CF went pretty well.  NMC was a disaster (60something SF, 90something TF, 70something RF).  I was able to let go after that because I was able to let go.  

Focusing on the trigger meant that I finished CF strong.  I was shooting revolver because I'm a glutton for punishment!  I believe both of my TF strings were low 90s, and I finished with 91/97 in RF.  

For 45, I focused on a firmer grip and keeping the trigger moving.  Shot a score within about 10 points of my PR.  

Final learning point, focus on grip, trigger, and front sight, and good things happen.  I feel folks have mentioned that before!

Final final point, I'm tired....

Soupy44

mspingeld likes this post

Back to top Go down

Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s Empty Re: Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s

Post by Ed Hall 4/17/2023, 10:22 am

Sorry, Soupy44, but I must pick, "just a little."  Why did you tell us your "disaster scores," but not your "pretty well" ones? %^)

As to shooting back to back 2700s, that was my normal "back in the day" in the Washington D.C. area.  Or, at least 1800/2700 for a weekend.  In fact for a while my typical week for the shooting season included:

Tuesday .22 NMC at lunch
Wednesday .22 NMC at lunch AND 1800 (.22/.45) in the evening
Thursday .22 NMC at lunch
Saturday 1800 (.22/.45) in the morning OR full 2700
Sunday full 2700

My Team tracked my matches and I think I showed 36 completed 2700s one year. This may have included the bigger matches where teams and Service Pistol where included.  Those were the days.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

john bickar, Jon Eulette, chopper and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s Empty Re: Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s

Post by Soupy44 4/17/2023, 10:50 am

Hey Ed,

The scores after the NMC course are good ones for me.  Apologies for not making that clearer.  I'm knocking on the door to breaking 800 with my Model 14.  I've gotten over 800 with my model 17 a few times.  And the feel and confidence I had with my ball gun in 45 was huge, took lots of notes on that yesterday.

This weekend was the first I'd really shot this year.  With NC State canceling it's rifle program, I've been distracted working to reverse that.

I wish I could shoot back to back 2700s more.  Coming from a smallbore background (I shot next to one of your sons at Perry the first year 3p went conventional, he and I duked it out on who would win kneeling each day), I'm used to 2 day matches.  NC has a nice spread of matches each month: 1st Saturday, 2nd Saturday, 3rd Sunday, 4th Saturday.  The last one happened to be a week early this month.

NC used to have it's Metric Prone State Championship in April and we'd do a 2 day 4800.  The bullseye equivalent would be shooting 2 1800s a day two days in a row.  It was exhausting, but made every other match for the year seem easy!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/17/2023, 2:50 pm

Ha, I was in that very area this weekend for a wedding just outside of Chapel Hill. Y'all had some great weather for back-to-back 2700s.

I don't think my family would have been very happy with my skipping out on festivities to shoot a couple of matches, though.

Me:

Learning Moments from Back to Back 2700s 7ihv0u
john bickar
john bickar

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 4/17/2023, 4:01 pm

I have shot the NC Shooting Sports Games and the Stage Championships at DPRC—usually a 900 and maybe a NMC one day, then the 2700 and a couple NMCs the next. Never a double 2700 weekend. It’s definitely a marathon—and a great way to identify hot spots or sharp corners in guns that might warrant some filework!

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 4/18/2023, 8:40 am

I'm still confused about the displayed scores, but that's OK.  I don't have any sons involved in competitive shooting - maybe Doug's?

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down