Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe

3 posters

Go down

Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe Empty Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe

Post by WesG 4/25/2023, 6:28 pm

Searching brings up some things to check with this happening during live fire. Center leaf of the sear spring, trigger overtravel ...

I've been dryfiring lately, and my procedure is to hold the trigger back and rack the gun (LB NM with a KC roll trigger). It works fine racking from slide closed. When I take a break, I lock the slide open as a habit forming mechanism. Pulling the trigger back and then closing the slide, the hammer follows it down. I draw the slide back to let the slide stop disengage and then let it fall. Riding it down slow is the same. This started just the other day, it's been working properly for several hundred cycles over the last week or 2.

Stripped the frame and cleaned/lubed everything. Seemed to fix the problem, for a few cycles. Center leaf has a fair bit of force on the trigger. I didn't weigh it, but it feels like at least 1-1/2lbs.

My SA A-1 (KC trigger kit) and an Ithaca GI pistol, both leave the hammer back where it's supposed to stay.

One of these triggers got beat up because I didn't know you can't set the overtravel tight like a rifle. Sear got mauled by the safety notch. I made a mandrel for a spin fixture and reground the radius to clean it up. I don't remember which trigger set. Could be this one, but it's had several thousand rds thru it since.

Any ideas what to look for? I'm not averse to sending it to one of the resident pro's for a good tuneup, but there's the current hassle with shipping issues that bring a dealer into play. UPS wouldn't take an antique rifle person/person ... Maybe FedEx for a handgun?

Having the gun out of hand for awhile isn't a huge deal, I'm not getting to the range anyway.

Last edited by WesG on 4/26/2023, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

WesG

Back to top Go down

Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe Empty Re: Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe

Post by WesG 4/26/2023, 2:11 pm

Disconnector.

Fiddled with it a bit more, overtravel adjustment, cleaning the trigger track.

Gave up and swapped the original LB parts back in. Still didn't work. Decided to try the LB spring as well, and the original disconnector fell out of the bag with it, hiding behind the card inside. Swapped that in and it worked. So I stripped it again and put the RT parts back in with the LB disc', and it works.

Pull it apart yet again and measured the length of the disc' and the RT part was .005 shorter. Put it back together before I thought I should have measured from the pin slot ... dummy. Anyway, looking at it, the tip seems pretty flat, not radiused like what I thought it should look like, and what the original looks like.

6900 rds total, no idea how many with this part. And I kinda think I haven't been oiling the bottom of the slide the last couple times I cleaned it. Even dumber.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe Empty Re: Hammer riding slide - Dry firing - Fixed, Maybe

Post by popchevy 4/26/2023, 4:20 pm

I'm still a newbie but I'm trying to understand why you are doing this.Pulling the trigger back and then closing the slide, the hammer follows it down.  and I never drop the slide on an empty chamber.   please enlighten me. 

Last edited by popchevy on 4/26/2023, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/26/2023, 4:40 pm

popchevy wrote:I'm still a newbie but I'm trying to understand why you are doing this.Pulling the trigger back and then closing the slide, the hammer follows it down.  and I never drop the slide on an empty chamber.   please enlighten me. 
Part of a function check is pulling trigger and holding it to the rear and letting slide forward to check two things; is hammer staying cocked and is disconnector working properly. If hammer follows obviously not good. Why is hammer following? Sear spring? Sear? Disconnector? Etc.

The never letting a slide slam forward on an empty chamber is debatable. Some think it batters the slide to the barrel because there is no cartridge to slow down the slide. And hammer bouncing on the sear when the slide slams forward and impacts the barrel.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Ed Hall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/26/2023, 4:54 pm

Its dry firing. I'm cycling the gun the way it would in live fire. Not thumbing the hammer back. I keep my hand on the slide closing it, not letting it fly.

To Jon's point, I kinda think the mass and drag of a cartridge is pretty small compared to the slide itself. I seriously doubt it makes a difference, but I've got less than 8k rds thru a 1911 in my lifetime. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people on this forum who do that or more in a year.

If I hadn't been doing it this way, what might have happened the next time I was at the range with 5 rds in the mag?

It has an inertial firing pin. So I doubt it would go FA but I wouldn't bet my life or anyone else's on it.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy 4/26/2023, 9:03 pm

O-K, I get it now. Thanks.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down