Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cocking revolver with non-firing hand

+2
dronning
john bickar
6 posters

Go down

Cocking revolver with non-firing hand Empty Cocking revolver with non-firing hand

Post by john bickar 2/17/2014, 8:30 pm

Is it legal to cock the hammer with your non-firing hand in sustained fire?

Is there a difference in the rules for this between Distinguished Revolver and regular NRA Conventional Pistol Rules?

This is permitted in ISSF and USAS Center Fire and Sport Pistol (and, theoretically, for standard pistol and rapid fire pistol). NRA rules, to my reading, do not prohibit it.

Show your work.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Cocking revolver with non-firing hand Empty Re: Cocking revolver with non-firing hand

Post by dronning 2/17/2014, 9:44 pm

I don't know the answer but thinking about the process of using your non-firing hand I believe it would be way slower and you are engaging many more muscles that will need to settle for the precision shot.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Cocking revolver with non-firing hand Empty Re: Cocking revolver with non-firing hand

Post by Axehandle 2/18/2014, 6:48 am

During slow fire I don't see a problem.  Timed and rapid are a different thing.  While you may be wandering off into a gray area just understanding that if I touch a malfunctioning gun with the non-firing hand I DO NOT get an alibi is enough of a reason for me to keep my non-firing hand away from the gun when shooting timed or rapid fire.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/18/2014, 8:43 am

Using two hands would make it seem like I was doing a boogaloo instead of beign calm & steady on target, besides the one handed cocking forces me to keep a good cadence during sustained fire.  The gun goes boom, the thumb comes up to cock, & I have time to take a breath as the gun settles.  At first it appears to be a lot to do in rapid fire, but you can get used to it
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by KCKral 2/18/2014, 9:24 am

I would think using your non firing hand to cock the hammer would create a pendulum effect while lowering the the hand away for the shot.  Seems like way too much movement and not enough time for the sights to settle.

KCKral

http://kralbuilders.com

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/18/2014, 9:57 am

I'm concerned more with the legality than with the advisability.

Please cite NRA rules regarding this technique if possible; I was not able to find any.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/18/2014, 10:03 am

JMO as long as you are shooting ONE HANDED,  it should make no difference where the off hand is(as long as it's safe).
I think that the rules indicate where your non-shooting hand can't be during the actual act of firing.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/19/2014, 12:03 am

5.5 Firing Position - Standing, gun held in one hand only, the other hand being used in no way to support the gun; all portions of the shooter’s clothing, body and gun clear of artificial support. Competitors will take their position at their numbered firing point in such manner as not to interfere with competitors on either side. No portion of the shooter’s body may rest upon or touch the ground in advance of the firing line. (Fig. c)

Rule 10.7 talks about what you are supposed to do if you have a malfunction whereas you shouldn't attempt to clear the firearm with the non-shooting hand after the "cease fire" command.  That would infer that you can re-cock with the non-firing hand between the command of "fire" and "cease fire" as long when you make the shot you are not violating rule 5.5.

10.11 Completion of Fire - In the event of a malfunction the competitor may complete the string by manually cocking the pistol, operating the slide or loading additional rounds, provided that the pistol is handled safely and remains pointed downrange at all times.

Therefore, it's legal to re-cock the revolver with the non shooting hand.  I know a shooter who normally shoots with the free hand held tight against his chest.  I think that it would be easy to return to that position for each shot--even in rapid fire.

My Model 14 has the target trigger, and I have no trouble thumbing the hammer for single action with my shooting hand, but if recocking with the free hand works for you, I don't have a problem with that.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down