Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

+2
Jack H
dronning
6 posters

Go down

Carpal Tunnel Surgery Empty Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Post by dronning Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Anyone have it done.  How long before you could start shooting again? 

What type of nonsurgical treatment did you go through first?  Could you did/you continue shooting during the nonsurgical treatment?

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Carpal Tunnel Surgery Empty Re: Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Post by Jack H Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Before you go under the knife, have you seen a therapist about stretches for the wrist and shoulders?  Yes shoulders.  Posture there is important.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Jack H wrote:Before you go under the knife, have you seen a therapist about stretches for the wrist and shoulders?  Yes shoulders.  Posture there is important.

+1

Before they cut....prescription NSAIDs....oral steroids (very helpful)....injectable stroids.
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by AHI Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

4 mounts you can shoot with 2 hands .22 only . About a year to shoot 1 handed again. best my hand has felt in years. Do not put this off to long .  It only will get worse. Tried shots ,therapy,splints,etc.

AHI

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm

A shooter in my club had the surgery and even with very little feeling in his fingers, still shoots high expert scores.  He started shooting again maybe 4 weeks after the procedure?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guncheese Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 pm

hello all
just registered
and had both wrists done earlier in the winter
i was out shooting the 2nd day for the left wrist
and the next day for the right wrist
and im right handed
just dont smack a magazine home   Shocked

guncheese

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks everyone.  My diagnosis was just recent and came about after I had a fall in which I hyper extended both my wrists and my fingers went numb and stayed numb.  They put me through a electromyogram (EMG) to see where the issue was and came back with CT.  I guess it has been there a while and after talking to the doctors I have had the symptoms for some time.

In a couple of weeks I go to the Surgeon & Therapist to determine the course of treatment.  Our Indoor State Tournament is the week end after that appointment. Then I have a month downtime before the outdoor season gets rolling.

Last weekend I shot a match and I'm starting to shoot Master scores in 22 and my 45 scores are coming up fast too, numb fingers and all.  My personal goal is that I will be shooting Master scores before Perry.

Because of this when I meet with the doctor I am seriously thinking about asking for the surgery verses therapy only because I don't want things to go south just before Perry.  If they can't schedule it right away then I'll follow the therapy suggestions and focus on making the therapy work at least until Perry is over.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the input.

Went over my electromyogram results in detail with the surgeon.  I rate a 6 out of 10, 10 being the worst.  Physical therapy isn't an option at this point, plan of action is to take cortisone shots to relieve the tingling until I have the micro surgery, but no hurry, surgery can wait until after Perry. 

Next Tues (after the MN State Indoor match) I will be begin the cortisone treatment.

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Well I've put it off for a year with cortisone shots and stretching but it's time to get the surgery. Right hand is scheduled endoscopic surgery this Friday, we will wait until fall for the left.

Numbness was getting worse and I just couldn't get consistent grip pressure or trigger control. When there wasn't any numbness my sustained scores showed it. Mid 80's when numb, high 90's when not. When my hands were numb for a whole match I actually scored better toward the end of the match - consistency.

It would be great if the numbness went completely away with the surgery or at the very least stayed consistent.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down