Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member with ? about Sights

+4
james r chapman
DavidR
CrankyThunder
chiltech500
8 posters

Go down

New Member with ? about Sights Empty New Member with ? about Sights

Post by chiltech500 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello,

New member and about to join a league after practicing a year on my own. I have 2 Burris Fastfire red dot sights and notice that much equipment here are tubular design. Is there a benefit?

My red dots are small and have minimal weight and the tubular sights of which I had a cheaper version of was heavy.

Thanks for information and your opinions.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

New Member with ? about Sights Empty Dear Chiltech:

Post by CrankyThunder Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Welcome!!!!

Just starting out you will be fine with the reflex sights!

Tube style vs reflex red dots, most idpa, ipsic, and run and gunners type shooters like the reflex sights because they hide less of the sight picture behind the frame. Bullseye shooters like the tube style sights cause we can use polarizers and sunshades.

With that being said, shoot what you got till you start recognizing the limitations of your red dot (if there are any) and make the appropriate corrections.

If you were just starting out, I would recommend a Ultra dot red dot, Some of the cheaper ones are good enough for bullseye, some are not. A big problem with the cheaper ones is that you can not get it zeroed precise enough for bullseye and end up holding with Kentucky windage. Another issue is that the dot movements per click are not consistent.

Regards,
Cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

New Member with ? about Sights Empty Re: New Member with ? about Sights

Post by DavidR Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 am

When in doubt just look at what the good shooters are using, there is a reason they use what they do.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 pm

sponsorships????

(just kidding)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks Cranky, sounds logical indeed. Being a former 35mm camera guy I can appreciate filters. For now my sights will work because the club shoots indoors at 25 yards. I think only a few members travel and shoot.

By the time my hand and eye get steady enough, maybe the sights will be replaced.

[size=15.333333015441895]"When in doubt just look at what the good shooters are using, there is a reason they use what they do."[/size]

Ok, well that I will keep in mind and ask them because I guess you don't know.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 pm

chiltech500 wrote:

Ok, well that I will keep in mind and ask them because I guess you don't know.

It's never best to take the easy way.

It's like trapshooting. A 17 - 22 yarder will fill your ears with wonderful ways to shoot.

But, it's that respected 27 yarder who shoots a 97 avg that you really want to sit down with.

Jim
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I've shot a 98 slow fire, that should count for something.

I started with a fast fire 2, and "upgraded" to the tube style 1" ultradot.

Reasons? it's easier to "find" the dot after recoil.  the tube has an advantage in a rain match.  A drop of rain in just the wrong spot causes BIG problems.

David R is the guy who says that the most traveled path is the best path.

I say shoot what you got.  Have fun.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Dear Chiltech:

you go to the pistol competitions and other then the super long range bench competitions, the competitors will use either a ultra dot, a c-more, or a aimpoint.

Most bullseye shooters use the ultra dot for the precise adjustments, quality, guarantee, and the polarization and sunshade options available.

the run and gunners use the c-more simply cause they are the best reflex sight on the market.

Personally, I use a out of production aimpoint 9000L 30mm reddot. the dot is more perfect then the ultra dot, I like the high capacity battery, the extra weight, durability, and precision. It costs almost twice as much as a ultra dot but to me it is worth it.

I have mentored too many newbies that have showed up at their second match with a 69 dollar red dot that ended up in the garbage can half way through the match. they either are not precise enough to prevent holding low right at 8 oclock (Kentucky windage) or wouldn't zero for three clicks and then jump a inch on the fourth click.

Shoot what you got till you recognize the limitations, then ultra dot, aimpoint, or c-more.

Regards,
cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

"Ok, well that I will keep in mind and ask them because I guess you don't know."

I simply meant, by looking at what successful shooters are using you can see what YOU like  the looks of and feel of BETTER than the many different things companies have for sale before knowing if they will do the best job for you in this sport. Bullseye shooters are some of the most friendly bunch of people you will ever meet, most all of us will let you hold, inspect and some even shoot our guns in order to help you find what suits you. 99% of bullseye shooters only want to help new shooters. Since I think I KNOW,  here is my opinion,  there are only two dots that majority of  bullseye shooters find do the best job, Aimpoint and Ultradot . The most popular is the ultradot  not because its better, because its more affordable. Aimpoint is more expensive but both do a great job and hold up well. My prediction is if you seriously pursue this sport, eventually you will have one of these two dots on your guns.

"David R is the guy who says that the most traveled path is the best path."

Rob, Its kinda like a GPS, it may not be the perfect path but its probably going to get you going in the right direction better than flipping a coin or spinning a bottle .lol!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm

I never believe what that woman in the GPS says... I ALWAYS try the route that I think is best first.

...on subsequent trips, I MIGHT find that the GPS was right the whole time!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks a lot fellas. I see the benefits of the tubular red dots now with some info. I did have a cheap tube before the Burris reflex sights and gave it away!

Those Burris were $250-275 each, not cheap. I know I can sell them because I've seen them go quickly when advertised on forums.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by 172snowhawk Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:34 pm

The 1" Ultradot is a good buy, way cheaper than Aimpoint, 4 MOA dot, very reliable, lifetime warranty, and about an ounce lighter than Aimpoint.

172snowhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 pm

I just started shooting bullseye this year myself.  I put a Burris FF III on my 9mm gun and have an Ultradot on the 22.  I like them both and they have both been very stable and repeatable with no zero shift.  Put the Burris on your gun and shoot it until you have a reason not to.  Then sell it to me, LOL. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Is the Ultradot a 2 moa dot? I saw a mini version with a $250 ish price tag.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 pm

The Matchdot ll has a 2 moa (as a choice) and the mini You were looking at does also but the others have a 4 moa. All of them are fine for new shooters.They are fine for old shooters also. I thought for a long time that I needed to have the smaller dot then realized I was trying to make the shot "too perfect". Try to keep whatever dot you get near the center but remember the trigger is more important.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 172snowhawk Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm

The 1" Ultradot has a 4 MOA dot; cost is about $169.

172snowhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down