Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why

+3
BE Mike
sixftunda
Joe L
7 posters

Go down

A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why Empty A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why

Post by Joe L Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm

25 yard timed fire pace, lots of wind.  I went to the range primarily to test the centerfire gun after making a sear change.  I put it up after 30 rounds and decided to go ahead and shoot the 22.  It was a bonus day with the 22, so I was relaxed and just got the dot in the bull and moved the trigger, never backing off.  The wind was buffeting the gun and I couldn't really call the shots well.  My eyes said the shots were good, but I expected them to not be so good. 

Here is the video of the results. 

Obviously, I was pleased, since this is all new to me.  Seems I shoot best when I just execute each shot with no concern over anything except executing.  On a calm day, I expect to shoot well, and sometimes don't.  It's all in my mind.

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why Empty Re: A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why

Post by sixftunda Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:47 am

Timed and Rapid is mainly mental execution. At our clinic Zins recommended slow fire at 25 yards to learn the boundaries of where your dot can be and still shoot a 10 or an X when you shoot sustained fire.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why Empty Re: A good day in the wind today, but I'm not absolutely sure why

Post by BE Mike Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm

You bout got that bronc broke!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks, gentlemen, I think I will be happy to shoot in the wind next match.  Most folks won't want to shoot in the wind.  Here is a video of Target 9 for anyone interested. 

This is fun.
Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 pm

I ran across a comment while searching forums about Bill Blankenship practising in the rain and wind: http://tonybrong.blogspot.com/2007/07/hitch-hikers-guide-to-camp-perry.html

Being a long time acquaintance of Mr. Murphy I practice for several errors, not for the perfect.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Sa-tevp, thanks for posting the link.  Interesting about training in bad weather.  For me, I seem to shoot well in bad weather because I am relaxed and can just execute without worrying about scores.  However, I have to say that I did well today in relatively calm conditions.  I shot my second 100.  This was the best target out of 5, averaged 96.6-2.8x for the 5.  I was happy. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:19 am

THat's fantastic Joe!  Every 100 is an accomplishment!

Are you going to make plans to come to camp perry for .22 and CF days?  If not this year, I hope to see you there in the future!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Are you going to make plans to come to camp perry for .22 and CF days?  If not this year, I hope to see you there in the future!

Rob, I need to learn to shoot well in a local match before thinking about Camp Perry.  Give me a few years. 

I'm still working on the plastic gun for centerfire also.  I trimmed the trigger guard today to eliminate some finger contact as the sear starts to move.  It's been bugging me for a month.  When I can shoot 5 good targets in a row with the centerfire gun, we'll talk.  I can still average about 4 points/target higher with the 22 than with the centerfire.  I've shot some 98s and 99s but not a 100 yet with the plastic gun.  Maybe next range trip, if it's windy and I'm not thinking about the scores, just executing.

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:35 pm

You are in control of whether you are thinking about scores or not.

Most shooters at camp perry aren't shooting targets in a 90+ average.  Don't let the venue freak you out!  It's just a cool place for everyone to shoot.

Just like shooting well isn't about score, neither is shooting at Camp Perry.  It's about executing the best you can--just like every other match except it's like a huge grown-up summer camp for adults.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks, Rob.  You have been very helpful since the first post I made on this site.  Summer camp for adults sounds great!

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:36 am

Doing good Joe. I repeat what I said elsewhere...
I stopwatched your strings. You take too long. You got to speed it up if you are going to do rapid fire. Start working on rhythmic trigger and sighting as a duo. I don't mean look for a cadence. Look for a rhythm of what you are doing in each shot from settle and trigger pressure to follow through and recovery
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:12 pm

What's the difference between "cadence" and "rhythm"?

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:03 pm

They are rather synonymous

My rapid fire interpretation:

Cadence in rapid fire is just a count 1-2-3-4-5; bang-bang-bang-----bang---bang.

Oops! I lost rhythm after shot three.  Therefore broke cadence.

Rhythm is in the over all flow of performance of each shot of the series from each settle to recovery.  Settle-sight and trigger-bang-followthrough-recovery, repeat.

World English Dictionary
cadence or cadency  (ˈkeɪd ə ns)

n  , pl -dences , -dencies
1.the beat or measure of something rhythmic

Add that there is not a definite line between each of Settle-sight and trigger-bang-followthrough-recovery, repeat.
It's a rhythmic flow.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Jack H--you are right, I am taking too long.  I'll set aside one day to do 10 targets rapid fire only and see if I can develop some sort of rhythm.  Of course, it could be windy in a match as well, so I really shouldn't use that as an excuse.  Shooting within the rapid fire time frame will also shorten the videos, too, LOL.

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down