Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Conventional Pistol Rules

+2
Rob Kovach
LenV
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2014 Conventional Pistol Rules - Page 2 Empty 2014 Conventional Pistol Rules

Post by LenV Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just an F.Y.I. the NRA has posted the 2014 rules on their web site. They even have 3.1.4 finally.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

2014 Conventional Pistol Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 Conventional Pistol Rules

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks Brian!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

2014 Conventional Pistol Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 Conventional Pistol Rules

Post by LenV Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Did anyone else notice that the app pdf and 3.1.4 also differ in the language about modifications.2014 regs and prior all state that "no internal or external modifications " and the pdf to run a match only says "no external" without any mention of internal mods.Couriouser and couriouser.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 am

I guess I'll just show with 148 wadcutters and argue the case. Much better when they handed you the ammo  Smile
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 am

James R Chapman wrote wrote:I guess I'll just show with 148 wadcutters and argue the case
You had best show up with some 158 gr ammo too. That's an argument you are going to lose.  The NRA requires the additional rules be followed by the match director as a condition of conducting the match.

Len wrote wrote:2014 regs and prior all state that "no internal or external modifications " and the pdf to run a match only says "no external" without any mention of internal mods.
Regardless what the supplemental pdf says, 3.1.4 still has the same language it has had for years.  No internal or external modifications are allowed.  Match directors who conduct a DR match can't disregard 3.1.4 because of something in the supplemental rules.  They must adhere to all of the rules.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 am

I wrote that(pdf different from regs) because it is one more thing that has to be fixed.Can you imagine the can of worms that 2 sets of rules could generate. Case 1. No,you may not use 148 gr wadcutter because the pdf says no.Okay that makes the pdf the ruleing body.Case 2. No,you may not modify internally because the regs say you cant even though its ok on pdf. Making the regs the ruleing body.It forces the match director to pick and choose.Just saying that they both need fixed.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

Just for the sake of argument (discussion) please tell me where is says I can't shoot 148 Remington HBWC in my M 14 capable of shooting 158 grain rn or swc bullets.

l would also argue that having a gunsmith bring the gun into tighter manufacturing tolerances, ie: honing cylinder throats to the same and consistent size, is acceptable. turning the barrel back to close the out of factory spec cylinder gap. etc...

• 3.1.4 Distinguished Revolver - The revolver must be capable of chambering and firing a 158-grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter .38 Special cartridge. It must be a factory manufactured revolver with no external modifications except for stocks which may be modified or changed because of the size of the competitor’s hand or to facilitate loading. Except for stocks and the honing of the sear or sear notch to make a more crisp trigger, and maintain a 2 1/2 lb. minimum trigger pull, no external or internal modification may be made to the revolver as manufactured and sold by the factory of origin. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or internally, nor may any part be added, with the exception of milling the cylinder to accommodate moon clips. Specifically prohibited is any system of recoil control based upon compensators, barrel venting, barrel porting or weighted grips. Exposed holes that have been drilled and tapped for mounting of a scope are not considered to be an external modification.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

I emailed with Mr Piccolo way back then about "capable of", internal mods, adjustable front sight, etc.

And they STILL have not cleaned it up.  I am disappointed in them.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:24 pm

James,

View the .pdf that was posted on the bottom of page 1 of this thread:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/download.forum?id=317

(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter bullet only.

^^THAT is where is says you can't use HBWCs", and the match director is obligated to run the DR match according to those rules on the attachment regardless of them appearing in the rulebook or not--and that is assured by the passage:

MATCH IS TO BE FIRED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING RULES:

I think that the operative term about "blueprinting" a revolver to be in optimal spec would be "modification".  I wouldn't consider machining to the guns best possible condition would not be a modification, however this is the definition of "modification": change: a slight change or alteration made to improve something or make it more suitable.
With that definition, I'm not going to have my revolver tweeked.  I'm going to leave it alone.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:39 pm

thanks for the pdf definition, much more specific, of course we already knew that from the original issuing of ammo.

I do take issue with your interpretation of modification. You can't have your gunsmith tighten things up, but, it's ok for LEO and Military armorers to mix and match optimum parts to create the perfect weapon. I just don't follow that logic.....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Do whatever you want!! When you are dealing with a rule that is nearly impossible to enforce, flirt with the edge of enforceability to the limit of YOUR comfort level.  I will be way over here on the safe side of that line, dry firing.

You can take issue with my interpretation--I simply copy and pasted my interpretation from THE DICTIONARY.  Be sure to follow up with Merriam-Webster.  Wink
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Oh, ok.

I think I dated Merriam Webster in High School.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 pm

lol!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2