Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build

+12
KevinB
Froneck
orpheoet
dronning
subsonic
Dr.Don
Brettitt41
Rob Kovach
buttstock
LenV
gitkrunk
DavidR
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Empty Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build

Post by DavidR 4/25/2014, 3:18 pm

Well my ordered Range Officer came in the other day. Very Pleased, cost was 700.00 I asked the seller who said they had two to pick me out the one with the tightest frame/slide fit which they did, its very tight but function's slick. So I commenced to transform it to a CMP Legal Hardball gun. It was simpler than I thought, picked up a standard hammer, grip safety & thumb safety. Everything dropped right in with only a little filing on the detent area on the thumb safety. Trigger was 6lbs and terrible, Part of this is due to the safety built into the mainspring housing which I did also change out to a old one I had already but that is a option, Some might try and just take out the guts and replace with old style but that is not legal as you would still have the safety mainspring but not in working condition. If left in place it must function as a safety is my understanding of the rules. I then  took the sear and polished it and the hammer hooks ,adjusted the spring and came up with a tolerable feel which will hold 4.25lb it will do for now, later it will get a better trigger job. I added some grip tape to the front strap and its ready to go. Ending total 775.00 but I bought  new take off parts. Id say total cost of parts if buying from midway or brownells about a 100.00 bucks + cost of the gun. This is probably the best bang for the  buck for a ballgun that actually is good enough accuracy wise to leg with.
If your a DIY kinda guy for have friends that are this is a easy way to get into competing in the CMP program.Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Img_0515Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Img_0514Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Img_0513

Last edited by DavidR on 4/25/2014, 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Empty Re: Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build

Post by gitkrunk 4/25/2014, 3:45 pm

Where did you pickup the trigger and Safety parts at@
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Empty Re: Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build

Post by DavidR 4/25/2014, 3:55 pm

gitkrunk wrote:Where did you pickup the trigger and Safety parts at@

Did not require a trigger, only the Hammer, grip safety and thumb safety are changed and are readily available many places. Ebay is always a good place to snag a bargain.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk 4/25/2014, 4:16 pm

I mean hammer
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/25/2014, 10:27 pm

I also am DIY kind of guy and don't like spending money I don't have to.My S&W 1911SC carry pistol now has a Springfield ILS mainspring housing with all the guts and springs and my RO has the parts off the commander. Looks/works great and the smith housing has a better grip.This won't work for everyone but don't forget the 1911 that you wouldn't dream of shooting bullseye just might have the parts you need.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by buttstock 4/26/2014, 8:34 pm

How does your Range Officer shoot with hardball loads?  Any accuracy testing yet?  Would you share your load development journey with us, and results (group size, distance, loads)?

I picked up a used Range Officer, and would like to do some trigger work on it too.  I would like to lighten (replace ) the hammer spring to 19 lbs in the trigger work project.  That factory hammer spring is strong.

buttstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/26/2014, 8:49 pm

Buttstock,

These results aren't for David R's gun, but for another Range Officer.  See this thread for the bench rest testing: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2551-springfield-ro-230-fmj-accuracy
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 4/27/2014, 7:49 am

Did you replace the barrel bushing yet? Curious to see if it helps with the groupings.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/28/2014, 11:26 am

I have not replaced the bushing yet, it was a good fit to the barrel and it fit the frame ok, it was not super tight but it was a close fit, I plan on just swigging the back end to tighten it up, brownells sells a tool to do it im just looking for a way around buying it first. I shot some 4.3 bullseye with zero 230 fmj just breaking in the gun but out of my hand I had 4 10s and a x at 25yds.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 4/28/2014, 3:04 pm

David, as I am sure you know, you can tighten the bushing somewhat by using a large center punch to dimple the skirt where it mates with the slide.  Should be done over a mandrel so you don't egg-shape the bushing.  This is a quick-fix approach and works, but it will loosen back up with repeated removals/insertions into the slide.  It's not near as good as fitting a new bushing, but can do the job and hold for a surprisingly long time.

Last edited by Dr.Don on 4/28/2014, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-typed a term)
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

blackhawk44 and Buck13 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/28/2014, 3:46 pm

Its not super loose, I may just leave it for now, thanks
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 6/4/2014, 6:28 pm

Any updates?

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/5/2014, 9:41 am

Gun shoots great, shot two CMP matches so far no issues at all except for my not being that good with iron sights. Gun is more than accurate enough to leg out with.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by subsonic 6/20/2014, 6:54 am

So why the RO vs other 1911s as a starting point?

subsonic

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 6/20/2014, 8:34 am

Value, you get a lot right out of the box, just as the OP walked you through for about $800-900 you have a gun you can leg out with.  Most other options end up over $1500 by the time you have them accurate enough.  I went with a Les Baer and love it but if I had it to do over I'd go the RO route and drop in a roll trigger kit from www.kcskustomcreations.com and save myself $800 verses the LB.

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk 6/20/2014, 9:13 am

I believe a springfield mil spec is around 700? RO is like 800? With the RO you get target sights. Slightly tighter frame to slide fit , and bushing... So I think. Has has a match long trigger with the over travel.

I believe the springfield and les Baer hardball 1912 are 1800 msrp
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 6/20/2014, 9:47 am

gitkrunk wrote:
......I believe the springfield and les Baer hardball 1912 are 1800 msrp

LB hardball MSRP is $1960.  CC has 5 in stock for $1840ea - good price, plus overnight shipping ($90 required by CC). 

Local gun store had 2 RO's for $739ea.  You often see them on gunbroker for 750 buy it now price.  With the money you save verses a LB you could get a Dillon 650 optioned out. 

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/20/2014, 11:56 am

I paid 705.00 on gunbroker for my ro, a milspec, has no adjustable sight and no match grade barrel as well as not as tight a frame/slide fit, adding these items will add double to the price if you have to pay to have it done.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 8/21/2014, 8:55 pm

I've been thinking about doing just this, was wondering how hard it would be. Thanks for the info!
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/22/2014, 9:48 am

easy if you have right parts
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/22/2014, 1:36 pm

I agree that it's easy.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 2/22/2015, 7:55 pm

I see everyone talking about HardBall but I thought the CMP changed the rules and wad cutter is now legal???

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/22/2015, 8:08 pm

Frank,

This thread was discussed prior to the rules change.  There are several other threads that discuss the rules change separately.  This one went 3 pages: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3584-new-eic-ammo-for-rules-change?highlight=rule+change
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

brdrgrd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinB 2/23/2015, 7:27 am

A Range Officer is an approved service pistol out of the box now.

KevinB

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/23/2015, 11:35 am

Froneck wrote:I see everyone talking about HardBall but I thought the CMP changed the rules and wad cutter is now legal???

You must shoot a Jacketed round either FMJ, JHP, or a FMJ - semiwadcutter like the one shown below. 

1911 must have slab side grips,  iron sights, and a 4 trigger weight. rules are here page 33: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf

- Dave 

Federal Gold Medal 185gr

Springfield Range Officer Hardball Gun build Fedgol10

Last edited by dronning on 3/24/2019, 1:53 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : lost link to pic)
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next