Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP

+13
javaduke
inthebeech
kc.crawford.7
Rich/WIS
C.Perkins
Rob Kovach
mspingeld
Colt711
rvlvrlvr
DavidR
Al
dronning
beeser
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP - Page 2 Empty Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP

Post by beeser 7/23/2014, 9:15 am

First topic message reminder :

Based on past comments many of you will probably cringe at my next imminent decision, purchasing another .45 ACP.  I really wanted something that wasn't based on the 1911 but couldn't get past the limited selection and availability (revolvers excluded).  So, in my search for a 1911 I have all but ignored conventional wisdom here and limited my choices to either a Range Officer (actually highly recommended here), a new S&W PC1911 and an earlier manufactured S&W PC1911 (no slide cutouts).  Absent from the list unless anyone wants to make one last attempt to convince me otherwise are the supposedly custom 1911s from the likes of Les Baer, Clark, Ed Brown, etc.  I just couldn't get past the notion (probably naively conceived) that most if not all are highly priced, glittery concoctions that are taking advantage of some perceived promise of accuracy and quality of build.  The Range Officer is probably the best and most logical choice based on my limited experience.  You folks have made a compelling argument in favor of it.  I really like the looks of the older manufacture S&W PC1911 but based on my experience trying to get S&W to fix my Model 41 I'm a little skeptical if repairs are needed.  The newer S&W PC1911 removes some of my concerns for potential repairs because it's a newer model and will be under warranty but I still haven't settled on the looks yet with the slide cutouts.  So, I'll probably buy one of the three listed above very soon, maybe today.  Anyone have any last minute thoughts or suggestions?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP - Page 2 Empty Re: Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP

Post by Rob Kovach 7/25/2014, 11:12 am

Weird.  That doesn't look like the slide stop lever on any springfield I've ever seen.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP - Page 2 Empty Re: Sequel to I want a new .45 ACP

Post by javaduke 7/25/2014, 11:12 am

OldMaster, this is definitely not how it comes OOB. The slide stop is standard GI, the front sight looks different, and the front strap is smooth. Yours looks like someone has worked on it.

javaduke

https://bullseyepistolblog.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/25/2014, 11:35 am

It is possible that in the years I've had it that it got put back together at some time with a different slide stop and it was so long ago I don't remember. I just know whenever I switch it to EIC I have to swap out the slide stop. That is how the front sight came OOB. The front strap just has skateboard grip tape on it. This was one of the first RO's made.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/25/2014, 11:46 am

I would have guessed someone modified it as a carry piece.  Rounded front sight, extended controls.  But if you got it new in box maybe the early ones were done this way?  Could be worth something down the road if that's the case!
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 7/29/2014, 4:54 pm

DavidR wrote:Im just going to say this, if you ignore the advise of many seasoned bullseye shooters it obvious that you are not very interested in the goal most of us have of giving ourselves the best possible chance to shoot the highest scores and advance in class rating. Buying guns that will not give you the best advantage will result in a long term in the marksman class. This is not a bad thing if that's all you aspire to do is shoot a little here or there, but at some point imo you will get tired of always being at the bottom of the score card. Take some time to decide what your goal for bullseye is then decide where to invest your money.

I scoured the forum and took Dave's advice along with others.  I picked up a Range Officer and that's my primary pistol while I wait for a dedicated BE pistol to be built (1+ year wait) by Dave Sams, there are many other great gunsmiths, but I live near Dave.  I'm very happy I did so.  I learned what I liked and didn't like and its a fine pistol to get me where I'm going and I'll keep it for the long haul.  When I get my BE 1911, my RO is going to wear a 22 conversion from Nelson.  My money was best spent this last year on clinics, dry fire (free), books (AMU books are free online) and ammunition (mostly 22).  But when I decided to purchase a dedicated BE pistol, I wanted one that I would trust to remove the variables.  I appreciate the comfort that my mistakes are my own and not due to the equipment.

Then again, I'm still a novice so my opinion is worth about...well...the electrons I use to write it with.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/30/2014, 10:28 am

David Sams builds fine target pistols im sure you will be very happy with it. The RO can morph easily to a EIC legal gun to if you decide to shoot any leg matches!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 7/30/2014, 8:04 pm

Definitely!  My RO is going with me to the Atlantic Fleet competition at Quantico next year.  My service pistol from Dave won't be done in time so I plan to shoot the RO.  All I did was a trigger job, and a bushing and it shoots very well.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/31/2014, 10:13 am

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:Definitely!  My RO is going with me to the Atlantic Fleet competition at Quantico next year.  My service pistol from Dave won't be done in time so I plan to shoot the RO.  All I did was a trigger job, and a bushing and it shoots very well.

you will need to do the other changes, change grip safety and thumb safety and hammer if the rules for that match are the same as the CMP service pistol. see my topic on changing a RO to CMP legal here.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2588-springfield-range-officer-hardball-gun-build
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkvandal 8/5/2014, 9:27 am

Jayhawk, I look forward to seeing you out there at Fleets!  Are you in the Quantico area?  Just got moved here with the new job and joined the QSC and hope to shoot at the Quantico ranges a lot to prepare for Fleets next year!

Jkvandal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum