Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downside to Dillon XL 650?

+6
Jwhelan939
C.Perkins
DeweyHales
Dr.Don
Rob Kovach
beeser
10 posters

Go down

Downside to Dillon XL 650? Empty Downside to Dillon XL 650?

Post by beeser Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 pm

After reading most of the Lyman "Reloading Handbook" I'm getting the impression that there is at least one disadvantage to the Dillon XL 650 and other progressive presses.  In the section relating to primer extraction the RH recommends cleaning and inspecting the case primer pocket.  The only way I see doing this is to make primer extraction a separate operation (simple with a single stage press) or removing the case or interrupting the process on a progressive.  Going a step further, the RH also recommends a process that I've seen in a YouTube video where the case is resized and ends dressed before proceeding to load the case components.  I'm curious what you guys do to prepare your cases.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Downside to Dillon XL 650? Empty Re: Downside to Dillon XL 650?

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:49 pm

for .45acp, the depriming pin clears out the flash hole well enough so I don't bother with any primer pocket prep.

Right now all I do is run my brass in a vibratory tumbler with the lyman brown media and a little Hornady case polish.  The polish keeps the dust away that gets all over the reloader.

For .45acp, just Clean the brass and forget about it.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Bottleneck rifle cases get longer with repeated firings and have to be trimmed to length.  45 ACP cases do not get longer with use.  Most of us find that they get a little shorter.  So forget about having to trim 45 ACP cases.  I never mess with the primer pockets.  They are fine as is.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm

If the primer fits, it's right. If it doesn't fit easily, it's wrong. There isn't more than that for is to inspect. 

As you get loading, you will see what I mean.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Wow, not one mention yet to at least clean the primer pocket despite the RH and others on Youtube recommending it.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Beeser;

I clean my primer pockets.
Takes 2 seconds with a pocket cleaner and blow the crap out with my breath.
Do not think it makes much difference as long as you have a good primer seat.
But it makes me feel better.
Oh, by the way, I have gone back to using a single stage for all of my reloading.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm

I deprime separately before sonic cleaning. Pockets clean up pretty well in the sonic.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 pm

The rage on all of the reloading pages is:
1. Deprime
2. Wet rotary tumble the brass with Stainless Steel pins, water, dawn, and lemishine
3. remove the SS pins with a magnet.

Apparently the brass comes out like new in 20 minutes--even the flash holes are perfectly clean.

People take old treadmills and stick their brass in big waterproof jugs to tumble.  The stainless steel media is available at reloading stores or online.  http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Item/00122909544

Apparently the results are AWESOME.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Looks like nothing more than a hobby type rock tumbler, which is probably a lot cheaper.  I just finished watching a video on it and the results look impressive.  Not only do you not have to clean the primer pocket but the inside of the case gets cleaned too.  Thanks for the heads up.  I wonder when someone comes up with a press that punches out the primers in bulk?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 pm

beeser wrote:I wonder when someone comes up with a press that punches out the primers in bulk?

You already have one!  lol!

If you are looking for a cheaper option, the 5 gallon pail on a treadmill is about as cheap as you get.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

First, there is no need to clean primer pockets, unless you don't clean the cases good. don't deprime your brass before cleaning if using the traditional corncob and tumbler because the media will get in the primer holes, most of it will be knocked out by deprime pin but some may not. Loading 45 is not like rifle brass it is simple and all the extra steps are not needed to produce very accurate ammo. Clean the brass in a tumbler, midway usa sells a Frankford arsenal kit with tumbler, media, separating bucket and spinner for 80 bucks, put your brass in it add a cap full of liquid car wax, this shies and makes the brass slick so it runs thru the press easy. Then when cleaned visually look for any bad cases, dents, cracks or trash and your ready to load.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 am

No need to clean the primer pockets.  You'll get such a feel, when you prime your brass with the reloader, if the primer doesn't seat correctly.  With a manual indexing press, you can check the peice of brass easily.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Downside to Dillon XL 650? Empty RE: Loading with a progressive press

Post by Dipnet Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

I use a Dillon 550B in different ways depending on the purpose of the ammunition. For top shelf ammo that would be used at a regional or (one day) Perry, I deprime the brass, clean in home made solution (1 cup vinegar, 1 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup salt) for about an hour, wash and dry, then polish. The brass is like new. This may be unnecessary, but a lot of things I do are unnecessary. Either way is better.

The main reason I do this is because grit from brass and powder builds up on the shell plate (even after blowing it off) and it always seems to collect in the primer cup, which caused dents or depressions to appear in seated primers (especially in softer primers like Federal). Any rate, I suspect these imperfections can cause variation in load quality. I have not statistically tested this routine to see how much I gain (this is play, not work).

When I obtain good deals on quality bulk bullets, I will even weigh each bullet, sort into 3-grain lots, and bag separately. I always use the same maker of brass for loading lots of the good stuff. What does this get me? Very accurate ammo. Can I shoot that well? Most of the time, no; but every now and then...

What this really gets me is knowledge that I've taken the same care to set up my pistols as I have my loads, so when the bullet flies somewhere 'peculiar,' it's not the gun, it's not the ammo, it's me. I double-check my basics, not my sights. I think about where the errant round struck and consider if that tells me anything. Rifle hunting ammo get loaded with the same care since I only use about 2 or 3 bullets a year, if I'm lucky, but spend a lot of money and time to shoot those bullets.

The other ammo that just has to be "steel plate" accurate, I just throw in the polisher, and then reload per press instructions. No cleaning stinking primer pockets, never weigh bullets, use mixed brass, and don't fret if it’s not all recovered after a shoot. Reloading keeps you sane and busy. Dipnet

Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 pm

I experienced numerous "light hits" until I started cleaning the crud from the primer pocket.  I guess the crud prevented full seating of the primer by the 550.  I actually measured a before cleaning and after cleaning primer depth.  The clean were deeper in the pocket.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down