Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners?

+3
DavidR
dronning
beeser
7 posters

Go down

Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners? Empty Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners?

Post by beeser 7/25/2014, 7:30 am

You folks have mentioned vibrating and tumbler type case cleaners but what about sonic cleaners like the one below?  Any advantages one has over the others?
http://www.realguns.com/articles/202.htm

beeser

Back to top Go down

Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners? Empty Re: Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners?

Post by dronning 7/25/2014, 7:42 am

+ on sonic cleaners is they can be used for more than just brass
- is volume and time

I went wet with SS pins because I process about 20lbs of brass at a time.
http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/5001.html

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners? Empty Re: Sonic vs. tumbler vs. vibrator case cleaners?

Post by DavidR 7/25/2014, 10:43 am

These work great but a lot more work, must deprime the brass first and just remember you cant clean and then start to reload like you can with a regular media cleaner, wet brass out of these can take days to dry unless you invest in a drying machine.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/25/2014, 11:58 am

Put the brass in a colander and rinse with clean water.  Then preheat oven to 220 and put the brass in a cheap aluminum turkey roasting pan.  Water turns to steam at 212 after about 5 minutes shake the pan then 5 more min and take out let cool and your brass is all dry.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/25/2014, 1:16 pm

lol! might work for bachelor's but my wife isn't going to let me bake gun case casserole's very often
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/25/2014, 3:39 pm

DavidR wrote:lol! might work for bachelor's but my wife isn't going to let me bake gun case casserole's very often
LOL, OT but my wife suggested this and found 6 aluminum turkey roasting pans for a $1ea at the Dollar Store.  I love my wife!  When I was  shopping for a new gun safe she turned to me and said "Why don't you just get the big one you know you will fill it up!"  the salesman called me a lucky bastard under his breath.

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack.

- Dave

By the way I'm a Dave R too.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by kdiver58 7/29/2014, 4:28 pm

I have reloaded for over 35 years and I've just switched to ultrasonic cleaning. I use a cheap convection oven for many things with reloading and gunsmithing. So using the household oven was not needed. I used to tumble for hours. If I had deprimed first I had to pick stuff out of the primer pockets. Now in less than one hour I can have 400 clean brass with clean primer pockets. I run three 8 minute cleaning cycles on the ultrasonic cleaner, Rinse it off , blow it off with shop air, then stick it in the convection oven for 20 minutes at 212+ degrees and I'm good to go. I made up some wire mesh baskets to put the brass in to allow for air movement. My ultrasonic cleaner is the Harbor Freight model. I mix 8 teaspoons of cheap citric acid to a gallon of distilled water for my cleaning solution.

kdiver58

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/7/2014, 12:57 pm

So I find myself offered a thumler tumbler at a good price, question's, when your done how do you separate the pins from the cases and the liquid, whats the best additive to add to the water and how long do you tumbler say 200 or more cases??? and do you rinse the cases after tumbling  or just dry them?
any other tips are appreciated.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 8/7/2014, 1:46 pm

DavidR wrote:So I find myself offered a thumler tumbler at a good price, question's, when your done how do you separate the pins from the cases and the liquid, whats the best additive to add to the water and how long do you tumbler say 200 or more cases??? and do you rinse the cases after tumbling  or just dry them?
any other tips are appreciated.
Not from experience but in all of the reviews and videos I've seen a magnet like the following is used to separate the SS pins.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375973/frankford-arsenal-media-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Did you get a tumbler or vibrating type?  Thumler's Tumbler makes both types.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/7/2014, 2:02 pm

For additives to the water the consensus is 2-45acp cases full of Lemishine (as a water softening additive--apparently you can get it at Wal-Mart) and a squirt of Dawn dishsoap with a bag of SS pins.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 8/12/2014, 11:15 am

Vibrator cleaners here.  Big Dillon with corn cob for the easy clean.  Smaller Thumbler full of walnut hull for the hard to clean stuff.  Owned both for many years.   Never been big on brass cleaning until uncle sugar stopped giving me ammo.   In the last year I've started back shooting out of my pocket and I  have become one with the Dillon. Cool   I had a tumbling cleaner (rock polisher) way back and remember it being very crude and relatively slow.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/12/2014, 2:36 pm

rock tumblers are geared slow, the ones for reloading run at 3000 rpm, that's what I have.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 8/12/2014, 3:29 pm

I would think that 3000 rpm qualifies as a centrifuge instead of tumbler
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/12/2014, 4:56 pm

I ordered my SS Pins today.  I'll be picking up my PVC tumbler at the hardware store and running them on my treadmill this weekend.  I'll try to post a video.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down