Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911

+2
Rob Kovach
BE Mike
6 posters

Go down

Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911 Empty Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911

Post by BE Mike 8/13/2014, 4:42 pm

I just changed out the two-piece extended guide rod for a standard recoil spring guide and plug. I used the same recoil spring, but I had some trouble getting the slide to close today at the first range session since the change out. Do I need to replace the recoil spring?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911 Empty Re: Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911

Post by Rob Kovach 8/13/2014, 5:04 pm

Usually not....how did it work after that?  I'm wondering if your guide rod got a little off kilter and was binding up the works.  That's happened to me a few times.

With that said, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it, but I don't think that would cause trouble getting the slide closed.

Did the rim of the round that was stripped off the magazine get stuck in front of the extractor?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911 Empty Re: Changing from Extended Guide Rod to Standard on 1911

Post by BE Mike 8/14/2014, 7:55 am

I was pretty beat when I posted this. I'm pretty sure that it is an extractor issue. I cleaned the extractor and channel after my first outing. I think it's time I modify and tune it. If I had a 18# recoil spring laying around, I'd probably install it as well, because the brass was really getting thrown a long way.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/14/2014, 9:29 am

In bullseye guns Full length guide rods are useless, they provide no improvement to accuracy. The same spring will be fine if it worked good before pulling the rod out.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 8/14/2014, 10:32 am

Make sure the loose end of the spring is forward. It CAN make a difference.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 8/14/2014, 2:39 pm

DavidR wrote:In bullseye guns Full length guide rods are useless, they provide no improvement to accuracy. The same spring will be fine if it worked good before pulling the rod out.

I'll disagree with you on that Dave.  This is a "feel" thing.  You're correct that there is no improvment in accuracy, but I and others do like the feel of the full length guide rod compared to a short GI rod.  Just a matter of personal choice in my opinion.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/14/2014, 3:44 pm

My point was accuracy, many things can effect feel. I never felt a difference myself. What is different feeling to you when a gun has one ?
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 8/14/2014, 4:08 pm

A smoother inline feel, instead of the spring bouncing around inside the slide.  Just a smoother linear motion as the slide comes to the rear.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim G 8/14/2014, 11:39 pm

A full length guide rod will allow the recoil spring to cycle more consistently. It also will allow you to tune your recoil spring to your load since a one pound change in the spring can be seen in the ejection pattern/performance of your pistol.

Jim G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down