Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team??

+15
9146gt
BE Mike
JayhawkNavy02
james r chapman
robert84010
Jerry Keefer
KenO
Jack H
Schaumannk
DavidR
Rob Kovach
Jon Eulette
DeweyHales
jmdavis
dronning
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team?? - Page 3 Empty AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team??

Post by dronning 9/27/2014, 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

This question was asked over on TargetTalk with no responses yet, I thought someone here could answer it.

"Anyone know if this is true. I was told that the AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team, but training for pistol Combat Matches instead."

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46886

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team??

Post by Jon Eulette 10/2/2014, 4:44 pm

AMU commander is on twilight tour! They almost always retire from AMU. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AMU is no longer having a Bullseye Team??

Post by Schaumannk 10/2/2014, 5:13 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:AMU commander is on twilight tour! They almost always retire from AMU. 
Jon
No doubt, but in my opinion,based on my time as an Army officer,  the worst officers are those who are trying desperately for some miracle desk shuffling to jump start their career.  

As PC as the Army has become, it is more of a crap shoot than ever before.  Right now with the sequester, and the draw down, it is *stab your competition* in the back mode.  

You don't get that successful three years in as an LTC, I believe you retire at Major's pay.  

Army Commanders are instructed to issue all orders in their own name regardless of how high up the chain of command they come from.

You get a ninny in there, he can make a lot of poor decisions, and make everyone think that the orders came from higher up.  

I was told by a recently retired shooter a couple of years ago, (whose name I would be happy to provide in a private email) that they found out that the end of the civilian clinics and matches was not ordered by the Post commander, but much lower down.  

If the Army becomes more like the Marine Corps and the Navy and Air Force in how they support shooting, it is just the tail end of a long trend that began in the 70s. 

Most people in leadership positions in the Army, don't shoot, because they can't shoot, and therefore like to denigrate the skills. 

They are also very risk averse because they know, any gun accident on post, by their soldiers, or worse, a visiting Civilian will end their career. 

If it wasn't for the MOS 11B B4 I think the Army would prefer to ignore shooting training past the basics.   They think it unnecessary for anyone other than Infantry.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by 9146gt 10/2/2014, 9:38 pm

Do not  confuse NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) to USPSA run and gun. Two very different shooting sports. 

If you enjoy Bullseye shooting try NRA Action Pistol very  accuracy bias sport.

Tom

9146gt

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/2/2014, 10:14 pm

Admittedly I have never shot Bianchi cup but it does look alot like USPSA to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsrRjPx370
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by 9146gt 10/3/2014, 12:16 am

Side event last day...Not one of the 4 Bianchi Cup events. Keep looking Smile

Tom

9146gt

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/3/2014, 2:44 am

Tom, 

I don't need to keep looking. That video was part of a series that covered the Bianchi cup. You know the falling plates, barricade, movers, and the practical event. While two of the stages look alot like the PPC course, it doesn't really look like there is much unsupported one handed shooting at 50 yards. The other videos are there. 

It looks like it is a fun time. But also appears to me to have more in common with IPSC than with Bullseye. In the end, who cares. The AMU can shoot whatever it wants. But, I guess that the days of the US regularly winning the Olympic shooting events went to the same place as our exploration of space and our industrial and engineering prowess.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 10/3/2014, 4:34 am

I wonder if NRA plans to replace the Bianchi mover with a stationary electronic target....
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/3/2014, 12:01 pm

Jmdavis, true, but, part of the NRA action pistol is now the Civilian 1500 ppc course. Essentially the law enforcement national championship course for Civilians.

Still a challenging course...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/3/2014, 12:21 pm

I would not disagree. 

When CCW was coming about, I took a class with the retired Firearms Instructor from one of the Counties in the area. He is distinguished with the .45 as well as PPC revolver. The six hours of range time (3 practice and 3 qualification) that I spent with him was my first exposure to a precision style of shooting with someone who valued precision. His requirement to pass his course was a 90%+ on the Police Qualification Course to pass. I somehow managed it with a Glock 21 after only scoring 85% with a snubnose. It was not the gun's fault.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 10/9/2014, 11:59 am

Eletronic targets are the wave of the future especially at big matches and big ranges.  I'm sure many folks were concerned when revolvers became out of fashion in favor of autos (I'm one of those people because wheel guns rock!).  Some folks still wish we only shot with iron sights(because their eyessight is probably better than most). 

Maybe we should have retained cap and ball revolvers?

Imagine bullseye on TV because the crowd can watch competitiors shooting results when the shots are fired.

BTW,It is a great loss to bullseye if the AMU diverts resources away from bullseye.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 10/9/2014, 12:02 pm

One more thing

International air pistol and rapid fire are really a lot more fun to watch since the shootoff was instituted.

It is kind of cool and will capture the imagination of the younger generation.

We just have to win their hearts and their minds will follow.  Just kidding, sort of. Smile
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 10/19/2014, 5:39 pm

Played with a little NRA Action here.  Not bullseye but makes for enjoyable shooting.   The real Plus I see is that FT Benning will build a NRA Action range and schedule some matches there.  There has never been a range close enough for me to shoot matches on a regular basis.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp 11/25/2014, 8:24 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Bianchi is NRA's big money/big sponsorship discipline.  I wonder if NRA worked behind the scenes to bring the AMU over to Bianchi to add more draw for their moneymaker....

We are on our own here folks.  We don't have any resources to promote our sport besides word of mouth and the internet.

It might be time for us to have a competitor meeting that people actually know about at Perry next year to see if Bullseye and the NRA still have a future together.

Nope, we didn't know about this.  We still don't have any details.  The AMU NCOIC was just here for a High Power Committee meeting on the 15th and never mentioned it.

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3