Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading

+8
Dr.Don
Rob Kovach
Virgil Kane
BE Mike
noylj
beeser
Jerry Keefer
jell-dog
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading - Page 2 Empty Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading

Post by jell-dog Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm looking for information on where I can find/obtain the article written by IIRR Jim E Clark Sr "Handloading for Accuracy in the S&W M52" printed in Gun Digest and also The Best of Gun Digest.
I am not sure what year this article was written.
Thank you in advance for any information you can supply.
jell-dog
jell-dog

Back to top Go down

Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading - Page 2 Empty Re: Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading

Post by jell-dog Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you all for your the comments on this thread!
Post by Jim Watson from the S&W Forum:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/399271-iirr-jim-e-clark-sr-s-wm52-article.html

Originally Posted by Jim Watson Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading - Page 2 Clip_image001

I used to have Gun Digests going back that far and I recall the Hebard and Bellah articles. Gil Hebard's piece, which includes a little reloading information, is reprinted in the Pistol Shooter's Treasury.

That little book includes an article by Jim Clark 'Reloading .38 and .45 Pistol Ammunition' reprinted from American Rifleman.
It does not mention the Model 52. I would not expect it to, Jim Clark was then in the business of converting Colt .38 Supers to .38 Special and the Smith was his only competitor.

Jim Watson,
   Thank you for the information on where to find Clark Sr Thank you for the information on where to find Clark Sr article!It may not mention the M52, but it would be a great addition to my collection on loading for the .38 spl.
   The following are some (but not all) interesting articles that are contained in Pistol Shooters Treasury edited by Gil Hebard:
   .38 and .45 Pistol Ammunition' by Jim Clark, reprinted from American Rifleman
   A Testfire Report on the S&W Model 52 by Gil Hebard, reprinted from The Gun Digest, 17th Annual Edition, 1963
   Tips on Reloading Match Ammunition by Gil Hebard,

And many more interesting articles that are relevant to today’s shooting styles.
   Another article I found helpful in reloading with excellent information on S&W M52 reloading but not contained in The Pistol Shooter's Treasury: .38spc for the S&W Model 52 is Handloading The Smith & Wesson Model 52 by Kent Bellah, The Gun Digest, 17th Edition, 1963
   If interested someone may have a pdf of this article they would be willing to share.
Here is least expensive place I have found to get a copy of The Pistol Shooter's Treasury:
http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Pistol-Shooters-Treasury__PST.aspx

Another article that may be of interest for those handloading .38 spl:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156622-75-000-Wadcutters-in-a-Model-27

Thanks to all the comments on this thread!!
jell-dog
jell-dog
jell-dog

Back to top Go down

Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading - Page 2 Empty Re: Jim E Clark Sr Article on M52 handloading

Post by noylj Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I use an old RCBS .38 Spl expander die that does the job perfectly. Remember, I DON'T size the case at all (the rounds still drop almost all the way into the barrel and the slide always shoves the rest of the round into the chamber). Alternatively, I would go to Lee and get a custom expander, as they are almost certainly the cheapest.
Now, my three M-52s may have larger grooves then others, for all I know (never bothered to slug 'em since there was never any leading issues—just accuracy issues).

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by jell-dog Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Thank you for the information!
I recently purchased an old RCBS 38spl wadcutter die set (all steel not carbide) and haven't tried it yet. Seems to measure slightly larger diameter on the expansion plug than my LEE 38/357 die set.
Will try it soon.
jell-dog
jell-dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:56 pm

dronning wrote:+1 on the Remington for my M52-2, I'd add Precision Delta with match lube to the M-52 "they work great" list but the Remington's are way cheaper.

- Dave

Where can I buy the Rems cheaper than PD's?

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2