Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22 competition ammo

+7
GrumpyOldMan
TexasShooter
Richard Ashmore
bobthenailer
Jim G
DeweyHales
rhyno01
11 posters

Go down

.22 competition ammo Empty .22 competition ammo

Post by rhyno01 Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Hey all,
New to the forum. Need some advice. I am in Canada and .22 ammo is hard to get. I shoot ISSF bullseye. I have been using CCI Target, 1070fps. I can get Lapua Pistol King but it is 985fps. I have not used ammo this slow before. Is it worth trying for 20 yard shooting?

Thanks

Royce

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

.22 competition ammo Empty Re: .22 competition ammo

Post by DeweyHales Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 am

22lr ammo is something that must be tested in your gun. For me and my guns, almost anything is accurate enough to shoot cleans. It just has to have enough energy to work the action. 

Check this out.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim G Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:33 am

, I have used Pistol King with my AW93 with excellent results up to 50 yards. If your pistol will cycle it ( some require more energy ); you should have very consistent grouping.

Jim G

Back to top Go down

Post by bobthenailer Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 am

CCI sv @1070 fps  fired from a rifle barrel will be less when fired from a pistol.
 Lapua PISTOL king @ 985 fps fired from a pistol

bobthenailer

Back to top Go down

Post by rhyno01 Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks for the input. I do like the CCI but we just cant get it up here. SK Pistol Match seems close to the CCI, a bit more money. But this I can get. Any info on this ammo?

Thanks

Royce

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

.22 competition ammo Empty .22LR Ammunition

Post by Richard Ashmore Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

rhyno01 wrote:Hey all,
New to the forum. Need some advice. I am in Canada and .22 ammo is hard to get. I shoot ISSF bullseye. I have been using CCI Target, 1070fps. I can get Lapua Pistol King but it is 985fps. I have not used ammo this slow before. Is it worth trying for 20 yard shooting?

Thanks

Royce

At 20 yards most any decent ammunition will group just fine.  Go for reliability.

And while we're on the subject, velocity data is always from an industry standard test fixture, and that barrel is, IIRC, 24 inches.  MV from a pistol will always be less.  There is no industry standard for measuring from a pistol barrel..
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasShooter Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Eley Club seems to be fairly close to CCI - I find it at about the same price, 1085 fps, very reliable.

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by rhyno01 Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm

All I am able to get at this time is Lapua and SK. SK is a bit cheaper by about 4 bucks a hundred. But that's all I can find.

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:12 pm

SK is very good if it will cycle.  My only issue is the lube comes off on your hand.  I keep a towel to wipe it off my hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:42 pm

My experience with SK has been with their Rifle Match. Definitely good enough accuracy out of  41 and a SuperMatic. Won't cycle the first round up from the magazine below about 60 degrees F, so in a few practice sessions I would just shoot two into the berm first then start my TF or RF strings.

Eley Club always cycled everything but the accuracy from my purple box (older AFAIK) was a hair bigger than the 10 ring every time. Might be three Xs and then two heartbreaker nines.

CCI SV has been a huge bright spot for me, kind of like how in college I discovered Federal Champion which was cheap enough and just accurate enough and ALWAYS AVAILABLE for my rifle shooting. Yup, I did use better stuff for matches and usually got 3-4 more points prone and a few even kneeling, but that was good stuff.  Come to think of it, CCI Mini-Mag and Win Super-X HV stuff was just about as accurate but I didn't like the zero being so different from the good stuff...

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Oh, what are the experiences with Federal AutoMatch? IME, CCI SV is always enough more accurate for me to be uninterested in getting any more of it.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 am

I've had great success with the Federal Automatch. But many people I know have not. My Marvel conversion shot 5/8" with it. Personal best 100-8X slow fire with it as well. SINCE Obummer was re-elected I haven't had any. I thought it was pretty amazing for bulk ammo.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Number one most important item is reliability.

Second is accuracy.

Third is affordability.

I will sacrifice some accuracy for more affordable ammo.  

I found Jagd SK/Wolf Match Target works really well for my Pardini.  I also like the Eley target and Club.  Aguilla is ok but hard to find these days.

For shooting at 50 feet, almost anything cheap and reliable will by my choice.  For 50 yards I'll shoot the Jagd SK/Wolf.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:27 am

SK Special Match or maybe it's SK Special Pistol Match is just a few fps faster and will help if the stndard is a little weak.

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Dear Rhyno:

You are going to have to try the ammo in your pistol to find out if it works. 

I have a Pardini and here is the rundown for my pistol:

CCI Standard Velocity operates it reliably but is not as accurate as Wolf or SK.

Wolf Match Target is reliable and accurate.  Not a bad price.  My go to competition ammo.

Eley Sport was a excellent ammo for reliablility when temps were above 60 degrees.  Great Price, too bad no longer available. 

Eley Target does not have enough horsepower to be reliable. 

Federal Automatch has too much power. 

SK pistol match is not that accurate in my pistol although quite a few others sing praises for this ammo.  Perhaps I got a bad lot.

SK pistol match special worked really good and was accurate.  I prefer the wolf match target because it is Just as accurate and reliable for a cheaper price. 

Eley pistol match is too expensive. 

Regards,
Cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down