Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lee Factory Crimp Die Binds?

+4
Jack H
charlie_seablom
mspingeld
beeser
8 posters

Go down

crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die Binds? Empty Lee Factory Crimp Die Binds?

Post by beeser Mon Nov 10 2014, 21:51

The Lee Factory Crimp Die that I just started using binds or catches on something when a .45 ACP case is extracted.  Normal?

beeser

Back to top Go down

crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die Binds? Empty Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die Binds?

Post by mspingeld Mon Nov 10 2014, 22:11

I have similar issues with my Redding crimping die although it didn't start until it was well used. It needs to be cleaned occasionally like a gun barrel.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie_seablom Mon Nov 10 2014, 23:06

You might be overcrimping and causing a bulge just below the mouth of the case. Try backing off the crimp a little.

charlie_seablom

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Nov 10 2014, 23:09

Bees
The FCD I have and do not use much does not have the ability to crimp very tightly.  The area inside that crimps is smoothe only for doing a very light crimp.  Deeper crimps get roughed up beyond the smooth area.
Without entering deep crimp vs light debate, I use the Dillon crimp dies on lead bullets solely for the take apart and clean feature.  On Jacket bullets I use an old RCBS seater crimper w/o the seater, or a Redding.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Nov 11 2014, 07:30

Sounds like it might be cocking inside. Make sure the complete die is adjusted correctly.

Jim
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan Tue Nov 11 2014, 09:17

Lee FCD is actually a simple device.  It is just an adjustable taper crimp that has a carbide ring around the bottom of the die that prevents the case from Squatting rather than taking on the proper crimp.  Results in a more consistent crimp.
First
Read the instructions that came with the die.
Crimp only to .469~.470 as measured at the case mouth.
Seat the bullet deep about 1/32" of SWC shoulder sticking out.  Seat from the shoulder rather than the nose with a special seater like Steve Bathje makes. 
I use a LFC with the crimp part removed to "bulge buster" the cases first.  Basically push them all way through then out the top.  Not only sizes deep on the case but removes any extractor burrs that may be on the rim.
Reload as normal seat in one die and LFC as final stage.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:27

Reading online- A lead bullet may be sized smaller in diameter by a FCD? I dont own one, but it may be possible with thick walled brass and .452" lead bullets??
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Nov 18 2014, 12:26

I took a closer look at the FCD and the Dillon crimp die for comparison.  Apparently, Lee makes at least 2 types of crimp dies depending on the caliber.  The one for .45 ACP functions the same as a Dillon with respect to the crimp.  The only difference that I can see is the clever and limited use of expensive carbide in the Lee as opposed to the Dillon.  The Lee has a small carbide ring that slips inside of the steel outer housing that produces the crimp and an aluminum cap on top for adjusting the amount of crimp.  The bind or hitch that I first mentioned and was concerned about is caused by the crimp ring holding onto the brass case and then releasing when it bottoms out on a stop inside of the outer housing.  It's not a problem after all, just a function of its design.  The Dillon has a similar release but it's closer to the initial down stroke and therefore not as noticeable.  Despite the irritating hitch in the FCD it does have the advantage of also sizing the case both on the upstroke and downstroke after the bullet is inserted.

Correction:  The crimp ring on the FCD may not be carbide after all, at least it doesn't look like it.  Maybe not important for performance or durability but the Dillon crimp insert is definitely carbide.  The sizing ring on the FCD is however carbide.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Nov 18 2014, 17:02

The lee FCD is useless if your loading process is set up correctly. imo anyway, as far as sticking brass, when you tumble the brass add a cap ful of liquid car wax to your media, and things will run much smoother, or buy the expensive tumble lube which is the same thing just twice as high for half as much. Smile
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Nov 18 2014, 17:38

DavidR wrote:The lee FCD is useless if your loading process is set up correctly. imo ...
I don't understand, why is the FCD useless?

As for the brass sticking, as I attempted to explain earlier it is simply a function of the case forced or wedged into a steel or carbide cone.  It would stick to some degree regardless of whether its lubed or not.  The release is only more noticeable on the FCD because of its design as I see it.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Nov 18 2014, 18:48

It's not useless, just not necessary in David's reloading.

I use it in my 9mm/.38 spec and .45 acp loading to guarantee 100% chambering. In PPC there are no second chances....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Nov 18 2014, 21:24

The lee fcd debate this has been hashed out on forums for years. The FCD is designed to fix a problem if your dies are good and correctly adjusted and you use good componets and Have good loading practices then you  should have no problem to fix. If this type of die was needed by all reloaders then every company would sell one. Not just lee. When ive loaded my rounds i check them with a check gauge and hen i have 100% confidance i will not have a ammo related issue. Google the lee fcd and read all the other opinions about how many feel it degrades accuracy, in some shooting sports thats not a big deal but in bullseye it could be. Do Some resarch then form your own decisions on whether this is something you need. I did years ago, dont need or desire to use it . Oh I do own one and have to used it to help come to my decision.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Nov 18 2014, 22:17

Like a condom, sometimes it's useful to have one handy....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down