Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unconscious Cant

+3
Jack H
Rob Kovach
dstates
7 posters

Go down

Unconscious Cant Empty Unconscious Cant

Post by dstates Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:43 pm

I had a great night shooting the first targets for our winter league => consistent and good scores and I had fun (even though it was cold).  Anyway.... I've been noticing over the last month that I will unconsciously cant my pistol CCW (I'm right handed) as I'm trying to dial in the dot on the target in slow fire. I don't notice it for some shots, but I notice it as I'm trying to call my shot at other times.  Lately I've been deliberately trying to keep my pistol vertical.  I'm not sure it is hurting my shooting any, but it is bugging me.  Anyone have any insights or tips?

Doug

dstates

Back to top Go down

Unconscious Cant Empty Re: Unconscious Cant

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:46 pm

If you add tension to your shoulder muscles--especially with the .45 you will find tighter groups and the gun will stay vertical.  If you are seeing the can't, I think there is too much relaxation in the shoulder and the follow through isn't as good.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Nothing wrong with a little cant if it is natural.  Forcing it upright with the wrist is not natural.  However if you stand tall, shoulders back, head up you might remove the cant.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

It's probably more info than you were asking for and not quite what you asked, but you might find the following of interest:

A Detailed Study of Cant Effects

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 am

The only problems with cant are that you must reproduce the same cat each time and that you may need to adjust both elevation and windage when changing sights for distance or POI. A bubble level can help or a cross reticle - the eye is incredibly sensitive to things not being level.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:23 am

Some people have shot extremely well with a canted pistol, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I would suggest a light weight lifting program targeted to strengthening and toning the muscles that are used in shooting a pistol one-handed.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:25 pm

I have a natural cant.  I used to force it straight at the arm.  But by match end I was back at canting.  Discovery of posture helps but that takes force as well away from comfort position.  So I do not worry about it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Just be consistent.

Include non-verbal visual awareness of cant in your shot process. START by absorbing the target area and whether your paper target's edges are level/perpendicular and any other visual cues you would be smart to notice.

Natural point of aim is important even with your arm swinging out there in the breeze. You want to NOT fight your position.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas and comments.  I went to the range last night and tried to stay as consistent as possible.  With my 1911 I don't seem to have any cant, but I held about 10 degree cant to the left with my Ruger.

By the way, I had my best NMC score ever with my Ruger (289 Smile ), I can't say it was due to my cant, but more to my focus on breathing and the process this week.

Doug

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum