Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STM SS tumbling pins best

+2
1joel1
Russ OR
6 posters

Go down

STM SS tumbling pins best Empty STM SS tumbling pins best

Post by Russ OR Thu Dec 04 2014, 00:48

I ended up with 3 different brands of SS tumbling pins: LLC - Frankford Arsenal - and STM (Stainless tumbling Media).
STM IS BEST - most consistent size-length, etc.- I saw them on Amazon-$35-hopefully they're the same STM Pins.

I'm getting a decent system for separating & rinsing after tumbling (done in driveway) and drying. Not much of a hassle any more. - 
At our club's pistol director's suggestion I'm experimenting with a little car wash-w/wax solution added to the Dawn and Lem-Shine. Just one batch so far, but it looks promising.
One tool I could not do without is an 8" "oxo" brand kitchen strainer-the spendy one. Fits on top of a 5 gal bucket - not one pin has gotten thru it yet. --- 2¢     Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

STM SS tumbling pins best Empty Re: STM SS tumbling pins best

Post by 1joel1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 09:27

That's good to hear. My STM kit just arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to trying it out pretty soon.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Thu Dec 04 2014, 16:09

has any one tried these SS pins in a Vibrating type case cleaner. thinking about trying that out.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Dec 04 2014, 16:40

Deerspy wrote:has any one tried these SS pins in a Vibrating type case cleaner. thinking about trying that out.

I was told by someone that tried it that it doesn't work, if I remember right he said the brass floats.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Mon Dec 15 2014, 23:06

bit the bullet and got a frankford tumbler, it is a little more time comsuming but the results are cleaner cases, those SS pins work but think I better find a place to get more them little buggers are hard to keep corralled .

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Tue Dec 16 2014, 09:26

Just for grins I added some pins to some walnut hull media in my Dillon vibratory polisher. It keeps the pins rolling with the media and they seem to get the real cruddy stuff off the brass quicker. Im building a wet tumbler too.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Tue Dec 16 2014, 09:29

I used my STM wet tumbler for the first time on Sunday. I figured that if the brass got even half as clean as they say, I would be thrilled. Well, it was just amazing and my brass really did look like new. Inside and out the stainless media absolutely cleaned everything up shiny. I just followed their directions and I would never consider going back to dry tumbling.

My $0.02 worth,

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 Wed Dec 17 2014, 09:31

Do you have to remove primers before tumbling wet? I assume it does a more thorough job to clean primer pockets with the primers removed but it would be a pain for me to push out the primers first.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Wed Dec 17 2014, 09:38

You don't have to, but I HIGHLY recommend that you do. I bought a hand deprimer tool, Harvey Deprimer, and just sit by the TV and deprime my little heart out. Keeps the dirt out of the loading press as well.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Wed Dec 17 2014, 18:07

I have a special die for just depriming it does not size brass use it on signal stage press  be for you tumble you don't want all that crud coming out when you are running the through the progressive press.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Wed Dec 17 2014, 19:55

I do mine on a single stage with a Lee carbide sizer and decapper. I then clean the cases and the next step depends on the history. I had a bunch of once fired that had been fired in a mixture of guns, including Glocks. If that's the case I now run them through a Lee "Bulge Buster" before loading them on the Dillon. I check them in a Wilson case checker before they go in the ammo box. It saves on those alibis. My starline brass has only been fired in my match guns so I find I can skip all the bulge buster stuff and go right to reloading.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down