Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule

+4
LenV
beeser
Steve B
Rob Kovach
8 posters

Go down

CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule Empty CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:38 am

I received a clarification already.  I sent the CMP this photo of 2 different "jacketed" bullets--one a Nosler 185Gr JHP that isn't jacketed on the tip and the other a ZERO 230gr FMJ that isn't jacketed on the base.

Here's the photo:

Enlarge this image
CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule Bullet10

And here's CMP's response:

Rob,

Both styles of jacketed projectiles are acceptable under 6.6.2 Pistol Ammunition. 

Best Regards, 
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule Empty Re: CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule

Post by Steve B Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks Rob.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule Empty Re: CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule

Post by beeser Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:41 am

Clever way of posing the question.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I wish I could figure out how to post this picture. I will just share the link and someone younger can post maybe? The title says " 200gr full metal jacket combat target" This is the bullet I would like to see if it is legal. Doesn't say anything about being a WC.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716718/hornady-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-200-grain-full-metal-jacket-combat-target?cm_vc=wishList
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 pm

CMP EIC Clarification on Jacketed Bullet Rule 6096-910
that is a semi wad cutter bullet, there are no true wad cutters for the 45, mostly see them in 32 and 38. this is what a wad cutter bullet looks like
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:42 pm

DavidR

I know it is a SWC and you know it is a SWC. My question was really to the CMP. Do they know it is a SWC and not a true wad cutter and will they be allowed? I picked that bullet because it doesn't have wad cutter anywhere in its title "noun nomenclature".

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Master, yes it will be legal.  SWC isn't the "issue", JACKETED is the requirement.  The Hornady bullet you referenced is a jacketed bullet and would therefore be legal under the new rules.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't get it.  Why are they making an issue over jacketed bullets?  What's wrong with non-jacketed bullets as it relates to the competition?  Is it just an arbitrary decision?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:29 pm

Service Pistol. Service Pistol competitors may use any safe ammunition

that is loaded with metal-jacketed bullets. Non-jacketed, wad-cutter or

lead bullets may not be used.

From this I read that JRN, JHP, JSWC, JTC, all would be legal

Also I read:

Illegal - lead anything, plated anything, full WC anything

Am  right!
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Reading the rules at first glance and not over thinking it.
Allowed is jacketed ammo in either full metal jacket, jacketed hollow point and jacketed semi wad cutter(button nosed to some).

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 am

they just are trying to keep the playing field a little more level because polygonal barreled guns like glocks are not recommended to be used with lead bullets. And long time tradition of cmp requiring fmj ammo, but the rules say any jacketed bullet, they only rule out bullets of any type in lead the way I read it
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down