Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit?

3 posters

Go down

UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit? Empty UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit?

Post by beeser Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 pm

UniqueTek claims that their Toolhead Clamp Kit helps "reducing OAL (overall length) variation and stabilizing die-to-shellplate alignment" on the Dillon XL650.  I may be missing something but once the seating die, Dillon die in this case, makes contact with the bullet the only vertical movement affecting OAL that can take place (and hasn't in my experience) is if the shellplate flexes.  Also, lateral movement already seems very limited with the Dillon toolhead because of the tight fitting retainer pins.  So what real value is there with the UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit?

beeser

Back to top Go down

UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit? Empty Re: UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit?

Post by Ghillieman Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:33 am

Next time you load on your 550 or 650 watch the tool head move up and down every time you load. Your OAL consistency is dependent on your tool head moving the same way every time. The clamp kit will lock the tool head in place and remove the possibility of a shifting tool head introducing variable OAL in your reloads.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:47 am

Ghillieman wrote:Next time you load on your 550 or 650 watch the tool head move up and down every time you load. Your OAL consistency is dependent on your tool head moving the same way every time. The clamp kit will lock the tool head in place and remove the possibility of a shifting tool head introducing variable OAL in your reloads.
Actually, not only does the toolhead move slightly the die itself (again Dillon die) moves because of its design.  But once the seating die makes contact with the bullet both toolhead and die stay fixed and the only thing could move is the shell plate, which it doesn't in my case.  Even if the clamp kit stabilizes the toolhead the Dillon die still moves.  So, again, I fail to see the value in this add-on.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Assuming of course the toolhead and die are held in compression to the same distance each time.

I'm thinking with pistol rounds it's pretty much a non-issue...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 pm

james r chapman wrote:Assuming of course the toolhead and die are held in compression to the same distance each time.

I'm thinking with pistol rounds it's pretty much a non-issue...
I usually get consistent OAL cartridges from my Dillon XL650 and Dillon carbide dies.  The only thing that has thrown things out of whack is occasional build-up of bullet lube inside the seating die.  Fortunately the Dillon die allows partial disassembly for cleaning without disturbing the setting.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down