Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need H-S Gunsmith or Guru

+2
JayhawkNavy02
Rich/WIS
6 posters

Go down

Need H-S Gunsmith or Guru Empty Need H-S Gunsmith or Guru

Post by Rich/WIS 4/27/2015, 8:12 am

Bought a Victor last year and then collected several original mags and two from the current H-S production.  One of the originals works but first round need a slight push on the slide to seat first round, then is okay. Other three have issues feeding, rounds not seating, etc. 

Have one of the tools sold for adjusting the mag lips and did my research on how to use it, but I am apparently doing something wrong. No matter how much I adjust the lips I can't seem to fix the problems.

Can anyone recommend a smith in the western Wisconsin area who works on H-S pistols (would prefer not to ship) or someone in the area who has experience on how to fix the issue.

I am using CCI std vel and am not adverse to changing to a different brand, but have in excess of 5K on hand.  I have a small quantity of Rem Target and some old white box Win Pistol Match that worked a bit better in the gun, but would prefer to shoot up the CCI I have on hand rather than buy more ammo.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Need H-S Gunsmith or Guru Empty Re: Need H-S Gunsmith or Guru

Post by JayhawkNavy02 4/27/2015, 8:51 am

Western Wisconsin, no, that's a little specific, but you can contact David Sams. If Jerry Keefer was not retired he would be another of the amazing grey beard gunsmiths to work with.

David Sams
Sams Custom Gunworks

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/

254 Columbia Rd
Cartersville, Va 23027
Phone 804-375-3782
Fax 804-375-3781

Email: samscustom@att.net
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/27/2015, 8:55 am

Another thing to check is spring length. I once tuned 3 NEW mags and all had different spring lengths. I had to replace 2 of the springs. to get them to function. Another thing to remember about .22 mags is that the rim of the case will ride up the forward magazine lips as part of feeding. This is a typically way out of spec portion of magazine feed lips even new from the factory.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/27/2015, 10:37 am

I got you covered, Rich.

I have patched up some terrible HS magazines--and I do it lickety split.  I might need to modify your adjusting tool.

I'm not in Western Wisconsin, but I'm sure we will cross paths soon.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/27/2015, 12:21 pm

You need a slight squeeze on the round by the front lips and the rim release point from the rear lips should be .8 from the breech.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 4/29/2015, 12:14 am

Hi Rich,
Some times an oversize mag well can cause feeding issues.
Here's how I fixed my feeding issues. You can use tape to test.
http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2501
Hope this helps,
Wes

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/29/2015, 1:01 am

I just received 3 HS slant grip mags from Alan Aronstein.  Have tried two of them and the 2 are 100 percent so far in two different HS with multiple ammos..  One needed the front lips squeezed a little.  The other's front lips are wide open and it works fine.  I believe I am impressed.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/29/2015, 7:44 am

Rich, I agree that a good High Standard gunsmith is your best option.

As an owner of a few older High Standards, I think your slide not closing problem could be caused by a weak recoil spring.
The gun you bought must be 30 years old (or more), treat it to a complete spring replacement. Then adjust the magazines
if needed. The Jim  Barta website has some good info on tuning magazines.

CCI SV has been my first choice for HS ammo for over 20 years. It has always been reliable, cheap, and accurate enough for
my use. I even used it for matches. So it was good enough for an expert class shooter. It should work well for you also.

edit..Oh heck, I just checked your profile, and see that you are a Master class shooter. Maybe  CCI SV is not good enough for you,
  but it always worked well in my High Standards, and machine rest groups @ 50 yds were only a quarter inch larger than ten x...Jim

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS 4/29/2015, 9:22 am

Thanks to everyone for advice and hints. 

Jack H, checked and the distance from barrel to mag lips is all over the place.  Used the tool to check width for front and rear lips and they seem to be in spec.  Put a new Wolfe recoil spring in the gun when I got it last year, so don't think that is the problem.  

Rob, PM'd you re your offer to tune the mags. 

Arnold Jim, CCI SV is fine for me, I USED to be a Master class shooter, but that was in the early 80's.  Haven't competed since then and now just shoot for fun.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down